Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the release of the Arkham Horror: The Card Game – Curse of the Rougarou – Scenario Pack scenario I also took the chance to get the Countless Terrors playmat. Are playmats really worth the money?
I was hoping to play my first game this weekend but it got postponed to next weekend. Hope FFG ship fast, with those prices they should have instant delivery!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not necessary, but they're snazzy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:

That's what I thought!
Besides, pimping my games is always something worth doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchase playmats for games past, but have found those that with spaces for card layout unnecessary as my preferred layout often differed. Also I have seen the countless terrors playmat and played on it. It's square and really can't accomodate 4 players as there's not enough room. Personally I would've like to have seen a larger mat with a central layout (I lay my game out centrally with players around.) But really the mat just wasn't large enough for 4. It's good with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people that play LCG or CCG use playmat becouse they don't want to mangle there cards when picking them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpickman wrote:

I hate scratching all the side of the cards trying to pick them up of the table... so sleeves, or playmats.. both cost money. Both are snazzy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brenycz
msg tools
mb
I got the altered beast mat since I liked that art the best, no idea if it's space will accommodate much of the game but I plan to use it with other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playmats are a fine investment if you want to avoid damaging your cards or getting table cruft on them. If you sleeve your cards they are less important, but if you don't having some sort of protection for your cards is probably a good idea to prevent extraneous scratching and edge wear.

Of course I say this as someone who owns mats for playing Magic with, but has never even bothered to penny sleeve any of my other card games, so take it for what it's worth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play mats are very functional for a variety of reasons. It keeps you cards and sleeves off the table surface, which might not be clean. It creates a surface that is easier to pick up cards. Also it creates a surface that has the right amount of friction such that the cards don't slide all over the place or stick too much to the surface. Also they have cool art on them so don't feel foolish for buying a play mat for a card game. I own tons of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don P
Sweden
flag msg tools
May I ask how much the delivery to Sweden (sth) costs? Am thinking of maybe ordering it to. At least the scenario pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lol my playmat won't be here until December that darn premium investigator book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Bling is never stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to all the practical benefits, a snazzy looking playmat is also useful because it makes people look at the game you're playing. If they see awesome artwork that appeals to them they're more likely to ask about the game and maybe you can recruit another new player.

I'll be getting at least one, just need to make up my mind which.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
For those on concerns of space, the Terrors 4 player mat isn't for player cards.

I like any game mat that helps organize the cards. So this mat was perfect.

It was designed for the mission, and the rooms, not for players cards

Someone here posted a player mat OR you can just use a normal smaller playmat for your own cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
For those on concerns of space, the Terrors 4 player mat isn't for player cards.

Someone here posted a player mat OR you can just use a normal smaller playmat for your own cards.

I can get away with using it for one player but you are correct. It can contain the threat area to some extent for three players or two, but beyond that it's too small.

Still, I've never had so many compliments on a mat before.

That is one huge advantage, people do stop and look and are more interested in the game because of the mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139436/arkham-horror-lcg-...

use this for player mat print and laminate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Sounds like buying that playmat wasn't such a bad idea after all. And that's good.
Hope they send it today!

Don_pers wrote:
May I ask how much the delivery to Sweden (sth) costs? Am thinking of maybe ordering it to. At least the scenario pack.

Shipping was $31.48 which isn't so bad by Swedish standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
Canada
flag msg tools
Only if it smells bad like mine, one whole night airing out in the backyard still stinks yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sini wrote:
Only if it smells bad like mine, one whole night airing out in the backyard still stinks yuk

Oh, I forgot how bad they can smell!
How long did you have to wait for delivery to Canada?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:

My bad I thought it was for players and the locations etc. my outlet ok on it has changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exchange rate, shipping cost and custom fee are scaring me away from order the playmat from FFG website. How bad was all of this for you?

Also, I'm still hoping some online website will have them for sale in Canada at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Terrors four-player mat looks amazing. I only just saw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
Canada
flag msg tools
lugiber wrote:
Sini wrote:

About 7 days to Ontario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guibs wrote:
Exchange rate, shipping cost and custom fee are scaring me away from order the playmat from FFG website. How bad was all of this for you?

Also, I'm still hoping some online website will have them for sale in Canada at some point.

Well, I still haven't got my stuff so I can't really say anything about customs. But if this package gets stuck in customs package it will probably cost me about 35 CAD (if I remember correctly) .
And yeah, the dollar is up 16% compared to what it was worth one year ago and about 50% from six years ago.
So that exchange rate is really killing me!
I thought the dollar would bomb after Trump got elected, but it just grows stronger. I guess he managed to f***k that up as well. Hail mercantilism!

Sini wrote:
lugiber wrote:
Sini wrote:

About 7 days to Ontario.

Oh, that would mean that I won't get my playermat next weekend. Shipping to Sweden is bound to take at least two days more. Well, we'll, I guess I can survive the first campaign without it.

Edit: replied to the second post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.