Subject: First scientific victory, courtesy of Nisaba. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Gudmundsson
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife have been playing this game more and more, more than any other 2 player game. We both really like it, and while she beats me most of the time, I still insist on playing.

Yesterday we got the much anticipated Pantheon expansion and while we were figuring out the new rules I won. Sharing the claiming of mythology tokens pretty equally we both felt it was fun to use. Adds another dimension that is a little bit more focused than the guilds in the base game.

We decided to play again, both having a better feel for the new expansion. This time around my wife took all the mythology tokens, basically choosing five gods and placing them as she pleased. In the second age, I got only a single offering token. I probably spent too much focus on getting the cards I wanted, rather than the new shiny expansion. Now, since my wife got to order the gods as she wished, there was only one space left for the gate, which ends up at my cheapest location.

Entering age 3, only a single god had been purchased, but 3 progress tokens. So I notice that I actually have four science symbols, needing only two more for victory. Now, I also figure out that my wife has 4 science cards, with 2 symbols, so they are out of reach for me. I decide to take use of the gate, as it is very cheap for me, thinking I get to choose 1 out of 5 gods which will be useful. There she appears in all her glory, Nisaba. I do some pondering (a lot), and figure if I choose her, some covered cards in the age 3 structure must have the 6th science icon I need. I select on of my wife's science symbol which I can not get (since she has both of two), and now I am up to five.

She realizes this pretty quickly, and gets worried. The law progress token is available and we both figure out that I don't need the different card, just one more science card and that has either a different symbol, or the same one and that gives me a progress token. She decides on a activating a god, and thankfully chooses someone else than Hades, the one god I had my eye on to look through the discarded cards and build a new scientific card. That forces me to pick a card that will ultimately unveil the last scientific card in the structure, when we are 6 cards away from finishing.

I can see she has more points in blue cards and wonders, but I can also see the play she doesn't. Feeling sure of a victory she decides to take the new scientific card which would have allowed me to purchase a progress token. I am 5 coins away from buying Hades, so I discard a card and get the 5 I need. She picks some card that doesn't even matter because Hades is my buddy.

I purchase Hades. I go through the discards. I find a science card. I get a pair of science symbols. I get the law progress token. I have 6 different science symbols. I win.

She had gotten 57 points, and I was at 50. There were few cards left in the structure, and one temple (giving her 9 more points and me 7 more points). So I would've probably lost.

This expansions definitely opens up new ways of playing and is highly recommended. Feels like it is a more complete game with it.

TL;DR Nisaba granted me a 5th science symbol, while Hades allowed me to get a discarded card to pair a science symbol allowing me to purchase the law porgress token as the 6th science symbol claiming victory in an almost certainly lost game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Quite often I will Fill my opponent's cheapest spot First.although it' sometimes Hard to convince yourself. Leaving the gate AT opponent's cheapest Spot is dangerous. Doing so on purpose Not advisable. Thx for the Report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Grzyb
Poland
flag msg tools
tomasgudm wrote:

Entering age 3, only a single god had been purchased, but 3 progress tokens. So I notice that I actually have four science symbols, needing only two more for victory. Now, I also figure out that my wife has 4 science cards, with 2 symbols, so they are out of reach for me.

How is that possible? Entering age 3 maximum amount of science symbols is 4 since the 2 other symbols are avilable only in age 3. Age 1 and 2 combined offer: 'wheel', 'feather/ink', 'mortar/pestle', 'triangle'.

It's impossible that you had 4 different symbols before age 3 and your wife another 2 The other 2 symbols 'sunclock' + 'globe' are offered only by age 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Gudmundsson
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Fact checkers :-) Thank you for that. I wrote it all from memory, so it must've been in the middle of age 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.