BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: We are living in interesting times rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to express some random thoughts about latest worldwide events. Something is going on, people feel need for some change. But would it be for better or worse?

In last 3 decades world changed faster than ever. And, I think, this is the root of all problems. With all those new technologies the world is globalized and noone is able to revert this trend. Is globalization bad thing? I don´t think so, but whole process is simply too fast. Nations are struggling with this situation.

I can see people fear the loss of their identity, their national sovereignity with all this unions, free movement and migration. But world is already interconnected virtualy, so mixing of nations and cultures is only logical next step. As I said, everything is moving too fast and people are not prepared for such big changes. Cultural differences are still too big. Heck, even my own feelings about migration in Europe are ambivalent. On one hand I understand why it´s happening and I feel sorry for those people, but on the other hand I don´t like the idea you have to take care of them on your own expenses and that there is quite high probability that they don´t integrate properly, not to mention terorism.

Those fears and worries are causing rise of populism and false promises. This is where I see danger. Politicians in UK promised they "make Great Britain great again" by leaving EU. Elected president of US promised he "makes America great again" by separating US from rest of the world by building walls and limiting of import etc...

Nice words and slogans which people want to hear. But I truly believe it´s not possible to deliver such a promises in todays world. In the end, People will realise they were fooled by politicians with their own agendas. But in the meantime, strong nations like US and UK will be divided, there will be hate and accusation among own people - it´s already happening. This is what will make you weaker and not "great again". Other nations, your rivals, take advatage from this and they will exploit whole situation for sure.

Feelings are boiling under surface and world is balancing on thin line. Indeed, we are living in interesting times, but I would rather live in boring times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: We are living in interesting times "and then?": "Puss*GRAB*MON!"
>sauron< "Puss*GRAB*MON!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cup of Coffee wrote:

...so mixing of nations and cultures is only logical next step.

Coexist, right? Except the 'C' wants to kill the other letters.

I'm not sure what nation you have been living in, but America does mixing of cultures better than most. Maybe I'm just fortunate to live in an area where this actually happens so I don't feel a need to shout 'Racist' all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
When haven't humans lived in interesting times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Cup of Coffee wrote:

...so mixing of nations and cultures is only logical next step.

I'm not sure what nation you have been living in, but America does mixing of cultures better than most.

As someone who has traveled around the world this made me lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cup of Coffee wrote:
Nice words and slogans which people want to hear. But I truly believe it´s not possible to deliver such a promises in todays world. In the end, People will realise they were fooled by politicians with their own agendas.

I hope you're right and that those duped will realize that they were duped. I doubt it, though. Their willingness to be duped was fairly strong to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
remorseless1 wrote:
When haven't humans lived in interesting times?
"In the beginning, there was ONLY "Monopoly" until EVE desires "Apples to Apples", so, yeah since!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
I don't think "people want change". Quite the opposite, in fact - they want to stop the change and "go back" to the world they "understood" when they where younger - or the world their parents seem to have known.

The world is changing, and has been changing for a long time now.
The balance of powers is shifting to the east and south - and the westerners have a hard time acknowledging and adapting to it. While the new countries accessing prominent roles have a hard time thinking it.
Religions are mutating, losing the political power and the moral influence they had, and a lot of people react by going fanatical and/or adhering to simplified, deformed versions of their religion's morality as a way to restore the illusion of its "power".
Science advances faster than anytime before, while the ability of the "common people" to understand it and cope with the discoveries and how they change the world stays poor. The scientists themselves, afraid of what happened in the past, stay away from political power, uncertain of being mature enough to hold it safely.
Technology gave us access to all information, all the time, but no country managed to give its citizens the required education to filter truth from lies or understand it.

The world changes faster than its inhabitants People want to go back to a former save rather than face the new gameplay, if I can hazard a video game metaphor.

As for what is happening right now, in this sad year - it was expected. The "old world" is dying, and is kicking back. We are facing a time of chaos, where different, incompatible world views will be (are) fighting, and yes, we can expect violence, and even horrors. Our societies are reconfiguring, and it never goes well - this coming from someone living in the country that built democracy on the widespread use of the guillotine.

Interesting times, indeed.

How it will end, no one knows for certain. A new dark age, maybe. There are trends that have been spotted for a long time by observers. The rise of populism and fanatism was one. There are others, though, some visible, as the rise of "integration" and acceptation of diversity in race, faith, gender, etc. But there are other, less visible, less known, some dark, some... new, that will rise to a more visible status in the coming years.
The old ways of thinking are dying, be they authoritarian or democratic, religious or not. None of them are adapted to the world we live in - no one has digested the changes yet. Our old ideals and philosophies don't work anymore.

Anyway, yes, you can expect a time of turmoil. People of all kinds of opinions are just beginning to understand that they can't coexist. They can't find a compromise. This will lead to violence - from both side, not just from extremists, religious or political. I doubt extremism in any form will win in the end (history is quite clear on this point), but they will make damage.

What we have to understand, though, is that it is not a drill. It's the real deal, right now. Even if most of us never wanted to see it in our lifetimes. Even if, right now, things have not come as far in Europe than in the US. But populism is rising at home too, and we have to be ready to fight it, one way or another, or to succumb to it and its consequences. Or, if your are so minded, prepare to fight for what we will be next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
>sauron< "Puss*GRAB*MON!" the 'sound' of THEE "gotcha"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.