1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game Room Must Haves vs. Love to Have rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Master Deng
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to put together an awesome game room, like full-on, Geek Chic "The Sultan" table awesome. What are some things that you have seen in a game room where it just took the gaming atmosphere to another level? What things were distracting? I'm still new enough to this hobby that I haven't played a ton of games, but I know I like it. So I figure my collection will grow into whatever room I put it into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sort of the whole point of board gaming that all you should need are a table, chairs, players, and a game.

Pete (likes all the other stuff, but none of it is "must have")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
It's sort of the whole point of board gaming that all you should need are a table, chairs, players, and a game.

This.

Plus, I'll add the 'negatives', no TVs, Radios, Game Consels, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
A large magnetic whiteboard is handy for scoring, rules references, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think a game room isn't a game room without the chachkis. You need theme, just like a good board game needs theme. That means, bar lights, a mini bar in the corner, cool artwork or posters, that sort of thing. A jukebox in the corner, maybe an arcade cabinet or pinball machine tucked away somewhere, etc. The room has to be inviting. Even with a sultan, four chairs around a table and that's it really isn't going to be overly exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely, a "Twilight Struggle is a Wargame" poster.

Oh, and also a table, chairs, lights, game, and (possibly) other people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
GoingTopShelf wrote:
I personally think a game room isn't a game room without the chachkis. You need theme, just like a good board game needs theme. That means, bar lights, a mini bar in the corner, cool artwork or posters, that sort of thing. A jukebox in the corner, maybe an arcade cabinet or pinball machine tucked away somewhere, etc. The room has to be inviting. Even with a sultan, four chairs around a table and that's it really isn't going to be overly exciting.

Where you going to put the games at that point? LOL devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
And don't forget a cat. As soon as I have a game set up at least one appears...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Dim Lighting
2) Eyes Wide Shut masks
3) No Judgement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hastings
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
"In Veritae Victoria - In Truth Lieth Victory"
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Acre wrote:
So I figure my collection will grow into whatever room I put it into.

That is so true! My collection got moved from a small box to a larger ikea chest and is full again. Unfortuantely that is the limit of my space.

I would suggest keeping it bare but adding to it when you discover something you love. But how you want it is up to you of course.

Some ideas I liked;
I saw someone use picture rails to display board games on the wall instead on in a bookcase which I thought was neat as game art work is just so good at the moment.
I also love the geeknson (for EU/UK)tables
(but the Mrs doesn't have the same love or desire to spend on the hobby e.g. tables, storage or displaying games etc. When I get the chance I will be getting a table)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Comfortable seating with good table access! You don't want folks having to shift around, get up, walk about, then constantly have to be told what happened in the game. You really don't want them sleeping either, but the game needs to take care of that risk! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I don't find those fancy game tables all that enticing, actually. I'll play pretty much anywhere. Outside can be tough if it is breezy, so I prefer indoor, but whatever. When I get into the game, what type of table I play on doesn't matter much as long as it is big enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe some TV trays? I have a pretty big table, but it is nice to have little trays to put snacks and drinks on (I guess a gaming table may solve this) or a place to hold your extra chits, minis, money, etc. A little non-distracting theme music is sometimes fun, so maybe a blue tooth speaker and access to Pandora or Apple music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ikea Kallax shelves. We went with "birch effect".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LeslieJK wrote:
And don't forget a cat. As soon as I have a game set up at least one appears...

Yes, that is on my wishing-list!

As for arcade-stuff, posters, weird (and expensive) "gaming tables" and a special gaming room etc.: no thanks! Rather have a nice looking wooden table, some atmosphere with candles etc., good lighting (seriously Max Power, dim lighting!?)) and just play the game. I am not one for the geek stuff.

But a cat? Yes, most definitely. As soon as I got the space for it. You have to stroke a cat while conquering the world, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjr1968 wrote:
Good lighting.

I wanted to emphasize this one... you an have all the coolest gaming acceries on the planet, but it's going to look like garbage if the room doesn't have quality lighting. Table lighting isn't the half of it, it's how you light the rest of the room that's going to make it shine. Either some wall sconces, well placed gimbles, track-lighting, or even fancier options like cove lighting (all controlled with dimmers) will create a bias light that will make the room a more comfortable place to play.

Lighting almost never gets the attention it deserves. I think people too often think of it as a means to "see what's in the room" and not a crucial element of decor. Good lighting makes you feel comfortable while going unnoticed. Poor lighting, even if functional, will kill the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group plays a lot of DnD and other Tabletop RPGs so I'm looking to get some shelves to display the antique swords I've acquired over the years. A friend and member of group is planning to make a couple wood signs to display the names of our favorite in game bars. I'd also like to frame and hang some of the old maps/newspaper articles I have. Seriously, I've got a newspaper article with a headline for the 1944 invasion of Normandy. How cool would it be to have that on the wall!?!

I also need another shelving unit to hold my games. My current unit is overflowing onto the floor.

EDIT: Forget the cat, get yourself a dog. Mine sits by my side or under the table all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

This.

Plus, I'll add the 'negatives', no TVs, Radios, Game Consels, etc.

Radio is your preference. I prefer some background tuneage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'd like a game room themed like this:

Add a nice Geek Chic rustic/weathered styled table and I might never leave that room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T 7

Michigan
msg tools
I'm planning on improving the lighting in my game room but I have no idea where to start? Any tips? Should I just go to a lighting store and ask them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must have,

room & Games.

all else is to taste?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try get lighting that is focused up towards the ceiling. It helps with the glare. Also, lighting straight above your play surface. Soft White bulbs, or white florescent bulbs are the nicest. Yellow bulbs can give your colours weird effects. For example, greens can look like blue, yellow like green etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T7inga wrote:
I'm planning on improving the lighting in my game room but I have no idea where to start? Any tips? Should I just go to a lighting store and ask them?

I googled "How to light a room" and there is lots of good general "Do's and Don'ts" on making a room comfortable with lighting. The function of the room of course makes a difference, especially so in reference to a game room, but I'd suggest starting with the basics.

Edit: Found this thread (Game Room Lighting) from a year ago that I think has some good bouncing around of ideas as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Rob
United States
Belpre
Ohio
flag msg tools
Games need more Orange!
badge
I'm bigger than you, no, really, I probably am...
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Lighting
Good Chairs
TV/Tray/Extra tables
Trash can within reach
Good air circulation
Container with extra dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.