James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb

I've been trying to put my finger on why Indonesia is such an excellent experience. I think it might be because it feels like a true sandbox economic game. There are many economic Euros that promise you freedom, but then hamstring you by saying, “Yeah, you can do whatever you want – but if you totally ignore this thing, well, then you'll lose.” Indonesia feels different. It's not a complicated game, and there are scripted moments due to the way that the companies come out, but every single play starts off with what feels like unlimited possibilities. It has an epic scope, without an epic playtime or an epic rule book. What is it? Like, eight pages or something.

One of the ways in which Indonesia differs from other economic games is that many apply the “You have to spend money to make money!” principle to every action that you can do. Get a cabbage factory? That's $3. Produce cabbages? Another $1. Cross-breed your cabbages with gerbils? That's $5. Let's hope that the market value for Gerbages stays at $13, shall we? Everything you do costs you money. The logic is clear: You must lose to win, so make sure you either lose the least or win the most, preferably both. Yet, in Indonesia there are a lot of things that you can do to make money that actually don't cost you a single Rupiah.

Here is a list of things that you can do that can improve your game position, but don't cost you any money:

1) Start a company

2) Expand a company (sometimes)

3) Develop your infrastructure

4) Produce goods

5) Have someone buy your company

6) Punch Chris in the face

In Indonesia, you don't need to spend money to make money. For example:

1) Start a shipping company

2) Increase your hull size, forcing players to use MEGASHIP INC. for all their shipping needs

3) Collect money from other players

4) Sell your shipping company

5) PROFIT!!!

All without spending a single penny. But there are, of course, also actions that cost you money. Here's a list of things that you can do with your money in Indonesia:

1) Bid for turn order

2) Expand a company (sometimes)

3) Ship goods

4) Buy someone else's company like a scum-sucking leech, or alternatively, protect your own companies from a disgusting hostile takeover, unless you can't or don't want to

5) Buy a new copy of the game because you force fed Luke the wooden tokens until he choked, because he merged your rice company with his spice company to create a totally unnecessary siap faji company and in doing so took away your best source of income GGRRRRAHHHHHNNNNGGGGG!!!!

This dichotomy is, in part, the brilliance of Indonesia. It's not a pure mathy exercise of working out the most cost-efficient actions – there's a huge element of bluff, instinct and sniffing out the weakest member of the herd. You have to decide yourself when to spend, and when you do, you have to decide yourself how much something is actually worth at that given time. How much is going first in turn order worth? Maybe nothing this turn, but maybe plenty next turn when the new companies come out and you need to ship your rubber before Luke ships his. How much do you want to spend to merge those two spice companies? Ah yes, Mergers. The most deliciously tense auction moments in any game I have ever played, ever.

One turn you'll want to buy another player's company in order to get a monopoly, or to deprive someone else of income, or to just take advantage of the fact that no-one's in a position to stop you swallowing up all the shipping. The next turn you'll want to sell, either because you want the money, or because there are some tasty new companies coming out and you want to free up one of your precious slots, or for some other more sinister motivation. But what if no-one wants to buy? SO...MANY...DECISIONS...

It's all compounded by the fact that the mergers are their own little closed economy, so the winning bid is split between the owners of the companies, regardless of who actually ends up as the CEO of MONSTER OIL INC. It's not just a question of how much you are willing to spend to get what you want - it's also a question of how willing you are to enrich another player by doing it.

This uncertainty factor, the required leaps of faith, is a reason why some people just don't enjoy the game. You are not battling a game engine, you are genuinely battling the other players, and that can go wrong. It's not a difficult game, but it's not a gentle game. You can get sharked off the table. You can fall behind because you paid silly money for a company that didn't have the shipping network to get the goods to market - but that's your own fault. You can get locked out of a profitable commodity, but then you can always merge your way back in if you want to. Besides, maybe it doesn't matter because there are always other opportunities, other ways to make money.

But it has its quirks. At times it's a fiddly game. Oh boy, is it fiddly. The auctions can be slow, as each bid must be a multiple of the size of the companies involved, and unless you want to wait for Chris to struggle through the 13 times table you'd better have a calculator on hand. I don't mind this though. I'm always totally invested in the mergers, because the outcome is so important. A bit of delay while someone works out their next bid tightens the delicious tension just a fraction.

The worst culprit, however, is shipping goods with it's Golden, Necessary, Fantastic Rule that "You must ship as many goods as you can." By Era Three everyone is peering intently at the table during every other player's turn, trying to help them maximise their shipping routes. It's slow and can be annoying, but it actually matters to everyone. It's in your own interest to make sure that the other players are using as much of your shipping as they can, or that they don't absolutely have to ship that spice to the city that you wanted to ship spice to. It's a hassle, but I think it's worth it.

Ultimately, I think it's the combination of freedom and brutality that I love about this game. There's always exciting options parading in front of you. When I win, I won because I outplayed my opponents. I won because I was shrewder and kept my nerve for longer. I wasn't railroaded into victory - I chose it.

But when you lose, well, you know that it's your fault, and yours alone, and that you can do nothing but sit in the dark, replaying the game in your head and feasting on the bitter fruit of regret.

• [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a funny dude. Your comic sense has developed nicely since leaving Australia.

Write more reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game where you meaning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
Faso74it wrote:

I don't know. Which one do you like more than Indonesia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This review is awesome. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Superb, absolutely superb. And, may I add, spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
revgiblet wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

I don't know. I've never played Indonesia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
revgiblet wrote:
Faso74it wrote:

I don't know. I've never played Indonesia.
So all of them then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my greatest regrets in all my years of gaming. Scheduled to play Indonesia. Decided not to play.

WAAAAHHHHHHYYYY??

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Perez
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
Hilarious. You truly captured the essence of the game.
Hard not to be on both ends of that deal at some point. This is one of those few games where you replay it in my mind and can pinpoint those couple of moves that won or lost you the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noah's boat + Opposite of left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
MrMzchf wrote:

DISCLAIMER: I've never played Arkwright, but I'd really like to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
revgiblet wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

DISCLAIMER: I've never played Arkwright, but I'd really like to.

Wow! I'm impressed how quickly you created that image on the fly! I'm sure your excellent review wasn't referencing Ark******whistle Anton Chigurh; best villain ever and avid Indonesia player.

P.S.: I'm waiting on my copy of Indonesia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please make a real good how to play video for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to put my finger on why this review is . . . as that other one, for that other game. Funny thing, that.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a economic game I like more than indonesia, but I'm not telling you what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
I have a economic game I like more than indonesia, but I'm not telling you what it is.

Oh, come on. How about a hint? What letter does it start with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Myoman wrote:

Just a teeny eentsy weentsy hint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tolchock wrote:

Someone did...ten years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Myoman wrote:

Just a teeny eentsy weentsy hint?

OK! Be that way. But I'll just bet you my favorite economic game would fire your favorite economic game because Monopoly isn't really that good a game you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Martinenghi
msg tools
revgiblet wrote:

Dude, I just registered after few years of lurking to express my appreciation to your post. So fucking perfect and funny. Thank you.

P.S. I just bought today the game at a big game fair and made it signed by the creators!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P A
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what if that other game is vinhos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.