Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you rate a game as a 10 then it must be the greatest game ever (to you).

By definition, even a deluxe version cannot be greater than the greatest game ever.

Do you downgrade the original to 9 (or 9.9 or something) to give you scope for a new 10? Should the deluxe version be considered a 'better' 10 or a '10+'.

Maybe everyone should be allowed to rate one game as an 11?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

By definition, even a deluxe version cannot be greater than the greatest game ever.

Do you downgrade the original to 9 (or 9.9 or something) to give you scope for a new 10? Should the deluxe version be considered a 'better' 10 or a '10+'.

Because Peanut Butter and Jelly used to be my favorite food. Now it's pizza.

I could downgrade peanut butter and jelly, but I prefer to think of them as first among equals. Or should that be equals among firsts? I don't know, but now I'm hungry. What were we talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A rating of 10 doesn't mean (to me) that a game is the "greatest ever," it means it's a game that I consider to be one of the shining stars of my collection and something that I don't imagine I'll ever get tired of playing.

But if I rate a game a 10 (or even an 8 or 9) and a deluxe version comes out, I don't buy it. I don't even really want it as a gift. I prefer not to obtain games that will make another game in my collection feel obsolete.

For instance: I own and love Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. I have played Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization a couple times now and I do think it improves on the original. Am I going to add it to my collection, though? Heck no, because if it had never been released I would have been perfectly happy to play the original for years and years to come. The improvements aren't worth the cost of an entirely new game to me, plus the hassle of either arranging a sale or trade for my old copy (or letting it sit around collecting dust.)

Haven't really decided if I'm going to downgrade my rating for TtA at all in light of the new edition. I'm inclined to leave it where it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I wouldn't buy a deluxe version, and even if I did, the components would not affect my game rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
Not at all.

First, just because a game is the "greatest game ever" doesn't necessarily mean that it's perfect. You can think that a game is the best game ever and it can still have room for improvement.

Secondly, you can use whatever rating scale you wish, so 10 doesn't necessarily even mean "greatest game ever". The officially recommended rating scale is based on a want to play metric. So all 10 really means is "always want to play". I rate Go a 10 because I always want to play Go... but I'd still love to have a really nice set If I had a couple thousand dollars lying around I could easily spend it on a good quality set (the great quality sets cost even more!)

Thirdly, I rate games primarily based on the idea of the game. The physical implementation, unless it is incredible or horrible, is rarely a factor in my rating. So I'm not going to ding my Go rating because I don't own a really nice set. That's silly. It's still the best game ever. The physical implementation is merely how the ideas are translated into a format I can play. And if I buy a super awesome set, that doesn't make it a better game, merely a better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He sweetened his game with aspartame and an overgrown sign pointed the way to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmb
What if you rate a game a 1, and then your copy gets chewed, burned and drenched in slime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, another rating question from people who refuse to rate 10s. I have several games that are rated 10, including a few that include a deluxe edition (Tokaido, anyone?). I agree with Thunkd, though -- a 10 depends on the idea of the game, not how physically nice it is. I don't really need deluxe editions, though I do appreciate their artistry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
What if you rate a game a 1, and then your copy gets chewed, burned and drenched in slime.

That'd probably an improvement (though it does sound a little messy). It's an improvement as long as there isn't too much collateral damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I rated LCR a '1', but some mastermind released an electronic deluxe crapgadget version upon the world. I have nowhere to go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorta a natural Spinal Tap question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He sweetened his game with aspartame and an overgrown sign pointed the way to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmb
Other places the "one 11" suggestion was made:

The Clarifications on the Rating Scale
This goes to 11!
We wants another Geekgold sink! (page 2)
One single 11 rating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
I rated LCR a '1', but some mastermind released an electronic deluxe crapgadget version upon the world. I have nowhere to go with that.

Maybe we should be allowed one '0' rating as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Universe
United States
flag msg tools
Kaffedrake wrote:

Wow! It would be so hard to choose a favorite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably because the deluxe version has upgraded components and/or extras that the original version didn't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:

You're overthinking it. Nothing about a 10 rating says you can't give it to more than one game.

I own two copies of the original Fury of Dracula, one of which is the standard version,with plastic figures, and the other is the deluxe version with metal figures. Having a backup copy is insurance against the possibility that something bad could happen to a long out of print game that I wouldn't want to be without.

As for its rating, I only give one rating per BGG database entry because it's the design that earns the 10 from me (BGG has both versions lumped together, which works for me). I could give separate ratings for each copy if I wanted to, but I see no point in doing so. The metal figures are nice, but they are just components and the game is a 10 with them or without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:

Maybe we should go play a game instead of spending so much time stewing over ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
caracfergus wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:

Maybe we should go play a game instead of spending so much time stewing over ratings.

Judging from the OP's ratings profile, I think this *is* a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, it more likely means you want to play it all the time, as others have pointed out.

And why not want to accessorize something you'd want to use all the time? Like a game room. Or car. Or significant other.

Secondly . . . I dunno. I agree mostly anyway. Had no issues selling my deluxe twilight struggle. The game does function perfect as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Shelf space dictates buying habits, not ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb

...because if it's eye-catching enough, it might draw more people's interest. And if other people are interested, then maybe I'll get to play one of my favorites more.

Or so the theory goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating scale of BGG states eight ratings as "very good," nine ratings "excellent," and ten ratings "outstanding." More than one game can be outstanding. More than one version of a game can be outstanding.

The gap in my appreciation of games ranked with sevens and eights is roughly the same as the gap between my eights and nines and, yes, between my nines and tens. To reserve a ten only for a point receding into an infinite singularity of unimprovable perfection, makes the rating scale for this site not really work. I don't know how I would conceive of a ten point scale based on that kind of measure.

If you want to withhold tens based on how you conceive of a rating scale, that's your prerogative; I have my own, based on this site's rating scale. Rate games the way you want to rate them; the second half of the suggested rating scale, the "usually willing to play" and "always want to play" part, has been well discussed as not very practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
caracfergus wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.