Subject: Avoiding adding new flames by dying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Freer
United Kingdom
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Spoilers for Safe.

During the Safe mission. There are enemies which during the strike phase instead of striking the player put more flames in operations.

We were pretty close to winning, but made the mistake of having all the healers in the party but not played by either player, and thus our only way to heal was between missions. There were three enemies in the combat zone, one of which would add flames to operations.

The other player on 1HP elected to put out a flame and thus take a strike to deliberately die to avoid the strike phase at the end of her turn, thus preventing any flames being added so that we could win on my turn.

My question is: Is it correct to skip that enemy's strike phase in this situation?

One of the many things we like about this game is how close to losing we come every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played this correctly.

When you are defeated, you don't draw anymore strikes for the rest of the turn (rulebook, p12) and you are effectively out of the game until revived. "Your turn is skipped, you can't draw anymore strikes, and you ignore all game effects." (p13)

This is also why enemy strike order is important during the Strike Phase. Say you have three enemies, an Alliance, a Ship, and another Alliance from right to left, respectively. If you get killed by enemy A (rightmost enemy, Crew Strike), then Enemy B (Ship Strike) and Enemy C (Leftmost, could have theoretically forced you to draw a strike that gives your teammates flaws) can't trample your team just because you didn't have enough to handle the threats on your own turn.

Weir_Doe wrote:
Is it correct to skip that enemy's strike phase in this situation?

Remember, it's not the enemy's Strike Phase, it's YOUR Strike Phase, and a sudden death ending your turn will stop the current and remaining phases of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daishi_no_zaagu wrote:
You played this correctly.

When you are defeated, you don't draw anymore strikes for the rest of the turn (rulebook, p12) and you are effectively out of the game until revived. "Your turn is skipped, you can't draw anymore strikes, and you ignore all game effects." (p13)

This is also why enemy strike order is important during the Strike Phase. Say you have three enemies, an Alliance, a Ship, and another Alliance from right to left, respectively. If you get killed by enemy A (rightmost enemy, Crew Strike), then Enemy B (Ship Strike) and Enemy C (Leftmost, could have theoretically forced you to draw a strike that gives your teammates flaws) can't trample your team just because you didn't have enough to handle the threats on your own turn.

Weir_Doe wrote:
Is it correct to skip that enemy's strike phase in this situation?

Remember, it's not the enemy's Strike Phase, it's YOUR Strike Phase, and a sudden death ending your turn will stop the current and remaining phases of your turn.

This is actually not 100% accurate. The rules on page 12 actually state:

When you’re defeated, immediately do the following:
1. If you were in your Action Phase, then it is now over.
2. Avoid all Crew Strikes you would draw for the rest of the turn. (You will continue to draw Ship Strikes if necessary.)

So, in the above example, if the first Alliance enemy killed you, you would still draw the ship strike, but you would not draw the second Alliance crew strike.

Page 13 states:
While you’re defeated, you are out of the game. Your turn is skipped, you can’t draw any more strikes, and you ignore all game effects.

This is referring to subsequent turns, where your entire turn is skipped and you don't draw any strikes (crew or ship) at all.

But the round you actually die, Serenity will still suffer damage from enemy ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Freer
United Kingdom
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thanks to both, yes I knew about ship strikes continuing, but I was hoping that since this particular enemy interacts with the Crew Strike Deck it could still be skipped. The reason for not being entirely sure is that in this case you are not drawing Crew Strikes, you are creating flames which happen to come from the Crew Strike deck, it could be argued that you are only drawing that strike when you put out the flame.

Here is a follow up, and related question about the same enemy:

If I have some mechanism to avoid drawing crew strikes (eg. Zoe's talent) is it correct that there are two occasions on which I can avoid this strike:
1) When this enemy strikes and adds the Crew Strike as a flame
2) When I put out the flame and thus draw the Crew Strike from operations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe moving a Crew Strike to Operations is considered drawing the Strike, so no, it would not be avoided, and no, Zoe could not use her Talent to stop it happening.

We have received official confirmation that she can use it when drawing the Flame, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.