Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: It's my birthday! Now what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Is this the dark side? Someone mentioned cookies.
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my non-gamer husband agreed to get me a game for my birthday. I haven't chosen a new game for myself in years and am plagued with indecision. I rarely play games with anybody older than 6, but I'd rather get a game for me rather than the kids (boys, 6 and 4).

The criteria:
-not too long (TtR never hits the table in our house)
-plays well with two
-my husband likes (nebulous I know)
-my husband is good at but I don't suck at; DH is really good at Splendor but I lose every. single. game.
-not too much of a luck fest
-something I can teach myself (RftG remains unplayed)
-playable with kids, now or eventually; my 6yo is an avid gamer--latest hits include Magic Labyrinth, Star Wars Risk, Yahtzee Free for all, Forbidden Island; he's even tried Notre Dame and RftG
-likely to be found on a FLGS shelf tomorrow
-bonus points if it can be modified to play with a friend who is blind (Forbidden Island worked well)

The shortlist:
7 Wonders (how is the 2p game?)
Dominion (but I'm a terrible shuffler)
Pandemic (too long?)
Colt Express (maybe more for the kids than me?)
King of Tokyo (ditto)
Fleet (never seen on shelves)
Takenoko (ditto)
Hive
Lost Cities

Feel free to push me towards one, or suggest one I may have missed. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Turn the figurehead into the wind, lash the crew to the masts, and God be with us.
badge
Fun Fact: Known to sniff glitter-glue out of a Muse's thong.
mbmbmbmbmb
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love King of Tokyo as do all of my friends in my group. We range in age from 28 - 40 (I'm 30). It's a take that dice chucker but my word is it fun. The sweet spot is 4 players but it does well with 3 and 5 as well.

I dislike Dominion. I love deck builders but I found Dominion lacking. I'd rather play Ascension: Realms Unraveled.

Pandemic should hit the table tonight for the first time.

Beyond that I have no opinion your shortlist.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Where are my manners!? Happy Birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
7 Wonders is a great choice.

- not long
- plays okay with two
- hell if I know
- see above
- okay amount of luck but not too bad
- easy to teach yourself
- six is a little young because there are so many symbols, but I bet he can pick it up in a few games
- available everywhere
- can be played with blind folks using braille card sleeves : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64ouncegames/board-game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merry Birthday!

7 Wonders is great with a group and kids can pick it up, but if you want it for two consider 7 Wonders Duel instead.

Colt Express and King of Tokyo are not just for kids. Both would be good for families.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Birthday!

My suggestion on what game you should pick:

7 Wonders is good for 3+ players. If you want to play with two, I suggest to buy 7 Wonders Duel instead. Personally, I like 7 Wonders Duel better than 7 Wonders.

Pandemic is not a long game imho. But maybe the base game is too repetitive after several plays.

King of Tokyo is great for 3+ players, the more the merrier! For two players, I think the game is not as good as it is with more players because it loses the elements of surprise and dog-piling the leader. Also, consider to buy King of Tokyo: Power Up! to make the monster more flavourful.

If you are interested in a cooperative game for 2-4 players and like/want to try programming game, maybe you will find Mechs vs. Minions interesting. I play this with my 7-yo son and we love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They make braille sleeves for Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a very similar situation, as my oldest regular gaming partner is 7. My husband is not a non-gamer, but he does not share my taste for some games. I think Pandemic may be a great choice for your situation. You are unlikely to play it enough to be bothered by it being "samey" (I don't). It should be an easy transition for anyone you have already played Forbidden Island with. And it is really fun to play solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.