51st State: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: Idea to make New York slightly stronger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaus Str.
Austria
flag msg tools
Hey everybody,

I've played 51st State Master Set a few times with my friends and we all love it, but as I gathered their opinions as well as some online reviews, it seems that the general conscensus is that New York is slightly weaker than the other 3 "basic" factions, in that it is too dependant on cards that give grey actions tokens.

In the meantime, Hegemony has equal or worse exchange rates than NY, but produces a way more useful wild action each turn (instead of a cog), and I couldn't find anybody who considers it weaker than the other factions, with good reason in my opinion.

This got me thinking: why not make New York produce one extra grey action instead of a cog each turn?

When comparing this New York 2.0 with Hegemony, you'd see they are pretty similar: same exchange rates except for blue actions (2:2 for NY against 1:1 for Hegemony)but more versatility for the latter.

The comparison with the Apalachian Federations is less obvious but interesting:

-[1] AF would still have a better blue exchange rate (1:2 vs 2:2)
-[2] NY 2.0 would produce 1 extra grey action token (2 in total), while AF produces 1 and a brick which grants it one "indirect" grey action token via its faction board.
-[3]as part of the faction boards actions, NY 2.0 could still get one grey token for one cog, while AF can do the same for one card, which is arguably equivalent.

also keep in mind that [2] and [3] are tied together on the AF board action.

I would like to have the opinion of more experienced players though. Do you think this amelioration is OP? or maybe not powerful enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to make New York less versatile to make them stronger? In the early game you can trade that cog for a gray connection token, but in the mid and end game (when you have your engine up and running) it can then be used for a VP building. I've found developing a more balanced strategy (getting a rainbow of connection tokens) and using bricks to redevelop locations works better for New York than going for a strict building strategy (since they are pretty good at getting multiple tokens of each type each turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.