Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the game, in all its glory. Comments at the end and an interesting stat that might surprise you.

Fight 1:

B: Boatswain Mena Marn (2e)
H: Thirkomedas + Homing Missiles (4e)
B: Captain Ariosa Paal (4e)
- I gambled that Hoax didn't already have Ciklarethas the Bitter in-hand. Like so many other times this game, I lost.
H: Ciklarethas the Bitter (5e)
B: Retreat. Opponent said that on the sad side, he could see me retreating so he would lose both retrieve cards. I could have built up some killer power here, but I had a bad feeling that he'd be able to match and nuke me anyway, so I pulled out. Plus, I felt better about losing Ariosa Paal.

Hoax 1, Buka 0

B: B/P Loyalty (3e) - Going right after him in earth.
H: Helkomedes the Rhetorician + Duplicator of Earth (6e) - Just the support I didn't want to see.
B: Cannoneer Alo Cha + legit bluff (Cannoneer Rilana Paal) 6e - Opponent made an interesting point: you can't see your opponent's face when he's bluffing over Lackey!
H: Catusan (10E) - Blargh. Another case of having the right power cards at the right time. At this point I'm fully picturing him surviving long enough to get his mutant out, followed by completely obliterating me in fire.
B: Sea Devil (load Commodore Lo Tan), then Cannoneer Riba Ko + false bluff (B/P Mystery) plus Letter of Marque (10e) - Had to pull this out of my ass to survive in Hoax's weaker element (and my strongest one by far). At this point I was hoping he didn't already have the mutant but fully expected it anyway, judging by how the game was going.
H: Var-Dis-Nar (4f) - Did I call it or what?.
B: (Discard B/P Mystery bluff and Cannoneer Rilana Paal bluff) (load Lookout Dolora Paal to Sea Devil) Captain Su Cha (4f). During this turn my opponent jumped the gun, thinking I was done, and played 'Trigger Brainstorm' before taking it back, so I had it pretty much confirmed that the ship load was the right play. The sad thing is even though I knew it was coming I still couldn't do much about it, as you'll see.
H: Demegodas the Odd + Trebuchet of Fear (6f) - This play got Hoax to six cards in play.
B: Retreat. Suddenly with all low power characters in-hand I had no way to hit 6 fire without landing the ship. However, I knew my opponent had Trigger Brainstorm waiting for me and if I landed the ship and destroyed his two active supports, he'd likely just Trigger and play two more supports in their places and still be at 6 cards anyway, leaving me megahosed. I decided the best choice was to retreat and save Dolora Paal for a time when she might actually make a difference. I was pretty unhappy losing two dragons to this when Hoax still had his strong supports to come.

Hoax 3, Buka 0

B: Sea Falcon (Load B/P Bravery and B/P Ferocity) + Quartermaster Kura Ko (2e) - Trying desperately to get something in earth now that his mutant is gone.
H: Bethenitana the Storyteller (2e) - So much for fighting in earth. Another case of wonderful timing.
B: Cannoneer Edilia Paal (4e) - Another burned character, a fire bluff to boot, when i knew hoax would just retreat anyway... but I didn't have much of a choice.
H: Retreat.

Hoax 3, Buka 0

H: Trigger Brainstorm + Zedemrikas the Brain + Brain Drain (4f) - Things were so out of control at this point that Hoax was able to sacrifice his best support knowing I HAD to land the ship to counter it, eliminating my antisupport threat.
B: Land Sea Devil, Lookout Dolora Paal (discarding Brain Drain) + Commodore Lo Tan (6f) - Expecting to get piled on now.
H: Muster Reinforcements + Athradysas the Seeker + Tome of Wisdom (8f) - Not as bad as I expected. I've got stuff in my hand to punch back with now.
B: Land Sea Falcon (offload B/P Mystery and B/P Ferocity), Armory + Duplicator of Fire (10f)
H: Hank Highflyer Hawk (3f)
B: Entreat Favor (Load Coxswain Mora Marn onto Rising Sun) + Sailingmaster Yo Cha + legit bluff (Cannoneer Tara Ko) (3f) - I've been jumping through insane hoops all game long and here's another one, just barely squeaking by HHH.
H: Called bluff and lost (discarded Cannoneer Tara Ko) Wogarathoras the Gloomy (8f) - Suddenly puts me two dragons away from tying the game.
B: Commodore Tai Marn (9f) - Able to throw this much power around every turn I was confident of winning this fight at least to make the game close, but I also needed to try to save something for what would likely be the last fight of the game. Unfortunately, here I started running out of character cards, so the goal became to end the fight ASAP to avoid expending any more cards. I was thinking the Armory + Duplicator of Fire combo eventually had to be able to beat anything he could hit me with, so I decided to just keep plunking down single characters (which was about all I could do anyway). Keep in mind I know he's got Inscrutable Armor left so I know he's going to force me to waste at least one character.
H: Enthrall Opposition + Penemikanas the Paranoid (5f) - Bah.
B: B/P Unity (7f)
H: Ledinemras the Monk (7f)
B: Sailingmaster Boo Marn (9f) - I was picking my characters very carefully here trying to save specific combinations until the end, but at this point I was down to three cards and this was becoming pretty impossible. What I REALLY didn't expect was:
H: Sarogakanas the Ancient (discard Cannoneer Qu Cha and Powdermaster Yina Ko) + Inscrutable Armor (4f) - I threw my hands up in the air at this point.
B: Land Rising Sun, Coxwain Mora Marn (5f) - Wiped out his entire combat area. Hoping he'd FINALLY punched himself out so I could at least finish the game on a positive note (even though I'd still lose).
H: Redamikanas the Cartographer + Potion of Prodigious Passion (8f). With only Old Goo Laa's Ghost left in-hand I didn't feel like continuing and called the game. Technically the score wouldn't have been any different, as with that fight win he would have pulled the third dragon anyway. The way this game went, I feel like I should take the fact that he never pulled the fourth dragon as some measure of comfort.

Okay, here's the interesting stat: Hoax got to 6 power or higher *7* times this game, including several 8's and a 10. Although a lot of that is attributable to Tome of Wisdom being in play for so long, that's still pretty extraordinary. I don't think I've ever seen Hoax hit that high that often.

Other comments:

You may have noticed that on a couple of occasions I ended up having to use bluff characters as characters. Unfortunately, whenever I did this, it was the only logical choice at the time. I would have liked to bluff more often than I did, but being down 3 dragons so early in the game basically eliminated any risk-taking efforts on my part. Bluffing falsely when losing the two dragons means "Game over, man!" is not my idea of a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting the bluffs right seems to be the key to understanding the Buka. The play of the ships is almost an afterthought, because experienced opponents will be able to work around them fairly often. I can't tell you how many times I've struggled over the same situation: having to put bluff cards in play as normal characters. I've still only gotten a BP Free condition to work once, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, i don't have much luck with the BP's either. They make wonderful ship fodder, though, otherwise.

Have to work on the bluffing a bit. I hadn't played Buka for months so I was a little rusty I suspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
yeah, i don't have much luck with the BP's either. They make wonderful ship fodder, though, otherwise.

My attitude is that of the five B/P characters, most aren't useful. It's just that it varies which ones. And yes, drop the others on a ship.

Looking at which are useful, I'm going to code them 6, C, B, S, I in the obvious way (Unity, Ferocity, Bravery, Mystery, Loyalty). 6 is often useful, although not so much against the Flit. Of the other four, where I don't mention them they are pretty useless in their special role (and the "is possible" can be a single combination).

vs. Vulca - S occasionally, I is possible
vs. Hoax - S sometime, I occasionally
vs. Mimix - C and I often, S rarely
vs. Flit - B and I often
vs. Khind - C and I very often, S occasionally
vs. Terrah - S occasionally, I is possible
vs. Pillar - B often, I occasionally, S rarely
vs. Aqua - S and I often, B occasionally, C rarely
vs. Buka - I almost always, C and S often

(I've downgraded S which I might have rated often against the Terrah as although you can play it against two Storms, it's not really a good play unless also playing Lookout Dolora Paal. I've still not played Buka vs. Buka, we rather assumed it would be balanced in playtesting!)

Overall, as well as Unity, it would look like Loyalty is what you really want, and Mystery is often handy. Ferocity and Bravery need the right opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the ones that are useful is that Buka is a deck that's all about moving cards. Unless you get the B/P cards at just the right time, you're holding onto them rather than keeping your hand moving. Oftentimes the sacrifice you make because of this doesn't really seem to warrant the additional 3/3 you'd get in exchange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls