Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Rum & Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Rum and Bones classic with new rules but without the leveling up mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone played Rum and Bones with the new edition rules but without the level up mechanism?
I want to try it but without having the level up skill cards and with every pirate starting with all his abilities unlocked I fear that with the new rules it will be unbalanced.
The reason of my fear is that I will play it with my girlfriend and if she doesn't like it then I will not have another chance to play it...:(
But on the other hand, I find the new rules very very clever.
Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works - it's not completely perfect - but it's much faster than the old way - so basically what we did:

-All objectives start with 2 less health.
-alternating hero/crew activations (picking one)

We didn't bother with the changes to the objectives, too much work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game early on using the new rules but just using the old cards, character sheets and special ability system (IE, needing to spend gold to activate abilities rather than "leveling up"). It worked quite well; faster moving and more exciting than the original ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both! Did you also play by the " heroes don't lose their gold when they die" rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
noom777 wrote:
Thank you both! Did you also play by the " heroes don't lose their gold when they die" rule?

Sorry, I don't remember!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noom777 wrote:

Yes, we did - I didn't notice any gross imbalances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noom777 wrote:

ive played 3or 4 times with the new rules except for this and the 2d6 bosuns.

we decided not to use the keep gold cause the heroes tended to accumulate too much gold with this rule. it makes sense with the season 2 levelling mechanic since you need to purchase abilities every time you use them, but if your not using that mechanic, gold tends to accumulate.

for the bosuns, we made it such that, destroying the armory upgrades them to 2d6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Strong
msg tools
mbmbmb
Where do I find the new rules? Just got the classic game for Christmas and love it, but would like to try the new rules. Thanks!

edit:

found them here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rum-and-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I was wondering, can you buy a upgrade kit and play Rume&Bones first edition with the rules from second edition?

tnx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! That's the point of the upgrade kit. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jernej peter
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tnx, i was confused because everybody were talking how you cannot use new crew with the old one (with first rum and bones).

regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agresivc wrote:
Tnx, i was confused because everybody were talking how you cannot use new crew with the old one (with first rum and bones).

regards

I think what they meant is that you cannot use the new crew with the OLD, 1st Edition rules. But you can use the OLD crew, with the new 2nd Edition/Tide rules, but ONLY if you get the upgrade pack.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.