GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,995 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Wargames on Mobile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I play on a lot on places like BGA. It's mostly the system of playing each move throughout the day, whenever I get time, that keeps me coming back to it. That way, I can get a lot more games in during my work week.

I have a friend, who is basically a budding wargamer. We've played games face-to-face like Paths of Glory and Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Anyway, he wants to play a wargame in the same way we play games on BGA. As in, you could wait a day or two to submit your next move. Of course, VASSAL seems perfectly set up for this, except my friend says he's never in front of a computer and wanted something that would work on his smartphone. As far as I know, VASSAL does not have a mobile app.

So, I just wanted to throw this out there to the experts. I realize how fitting some of these maps onto a phone would be incredibly difficult, but still, can you recommend any wargame that can be played on a smartphone that you enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few good ones out there. Hexwar, Matrix/Slitherine and John Tiller Games are all excellent places to start looking.

Battle of the Bulge is great, as is the companion game Drive on Moscow.

Battle Academy and Battle Academy 2 are some of the funnest and best made wargames in app form I think I could recommend.

There are plenty more, but these are good examples of what's available, just do a little research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions.

I suppose I should have noted previously that we are on Android devices, which as much as I love, does not have as many board game apps as iOS.

One of the issues I always have when searching for these is I never know if the game is just a video game some app developer threw together in their basement and which ones are based upon an actual, published wargame and is faithful to it.

For some reason, everything just feels so much more labyrinthine in the wargaming world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was all ready to talk about games such as:

A Bold Fight: The Battle of Mobile Bay

Damn the Torpedoes!

But then I read the original post and subsequent ones and realized that I didn't truly understand the subject line the way it was intended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they had wargames on BGA. I'd love something like Vassal that works in the browser so I could play at work during my lunch hour and not have to install something on my work computer.

As for your question, I downloaded a lot of wargames to my Android phone but haven't tried many of them. Here's my list:

Strategy & Tactics: WWII Free
1941: World War Strategy
American Civil War (Conflicts)
Operation Barbarossa
Korean war full
Populus Romanus 2: Britannia
German Eagle vs. Russian B...(name cuts off)
Small General Eastern Front
Small General Full

Keep in mind I added all those a while back so I'm not even sure if they're available anymore. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're planning to have a mobile app and a web client for VASSAL 4, so you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DyingTickles wrote:

German Eagle vs. Russian B...(name cuts off)

Probably "Bugs" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uckelman wrote:

Well, that's fantastic news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uckelman wrote:

Thank you! I've been wondering how to bump my work productivity down to zero, and this is certainly the answer I was hoping for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.