Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Do players know the other players hands so an alpha gamer can take over suggesting the best possible move ?
If yes, is this a problem during your plays ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules state that you can't openly discuss what you have in your hand. I don't have them in front of me, but I think I remember reading it somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotta be fresh
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Do players know the other players hands so an alpha gamer can take over suggesting the best possible move ?
If yes, is this a problem during your plays ?

Never been an issue in my games. There's rarely a "best" option any given turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say this is one of the few co-op games in which I have not encountered any type of Alpha gamer problem. As previously noted, there is secret information in your hand and short of someone deciding to just walk into a group of the enemy there is often not a clear best action. Additionally, you can rarely be certain what will happen on the enemy turn or what might happen with the dice. This is one of my favorite co-ops for this reason, as I feel like everyone really gets to make their own decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
I think the rules state that you can't openly discuss what you have in your hand. I don't have them in front of me, but I think I remember reading it somewhere.

Page 25 wrote:
Table Secrecy

Although Gears of War: The Board Game is a cooperative game, it is important that all players at the table get opportunities to make important decisions. For this reason, players may not look at the Order cards in other players’ hands.

All players are free to discuss strategy as well as their hand of Order cards as they see fit. Players are not allowed to look the bottom of wound tokens or look at cards in a deck or discard pile. The only exception is the Mission Deck, which players may look through at any time.

Players may read the front and back of any Mission card at any time (as long as they do not change the order of cards in the deck).

If the first paragraph isn't enough (for example, if your alpha gamer demands that everyone tell him what cards everyone else has, and then tells them exactly what to do), I recommend a thematic restriction on communication such as...

Five-Fingered Combat Communication Commands

Since a player's turn arguably takes place over the course of mere seconds, much of which is filled with running and gunfire, it's not realistic to have back-and-forth discussions of strategy in the moment. So during your turn, you can only say five words total to other players (you can conveniently keep track on the fingers of one hand). Other players can't speak to respond, they can only indicate yes or no.

Example:

Ricky, Abby and John are playing Gears of War. It's Ricky's turn. There are Drones in front of the group, and Wretches moving from behind.

Ricky turns to Abby.

"Follow me," he says, folding his thumb and forefinger. Abby nods.

He points to John.

"Wretches," he says, folding down his middle finger. John nods.

Ricky plays a charge card, and Abby plays a card to follow. They move into the group of Drones, and he tries to chainsaw one of them, and botches the roll.

"Crap," he says, and realizes he used up one of his words. He's just got pinky left. He turns to Abby.

"Cover?"

Abby sadly shakes her head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.