Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which version of Vinhos Special Edition is best?
The 2010 side
The 2016 side
      81 answers
Poll created by BlueSwan

Can't believe nobody posted this yet. For those who have played both the 2010 side and the 2016 side, which do you prefer and why. Vote in the poll and explain yourself in the thread!

Personally, I have played neither yet. I am thinking that I'll start with the 2016 version. Maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either version from the deluxe box either, so did not vote yet. However, after reading the rules, I'm thinking I'll be hanging onto my original version of the game and getting rid of the deluxe version. I didn't think the game needed any changes but was willing to give it a try, so I backed it.

I hope to get the 2016 version to the table soon, and see if I am proven wrong, maybe we'll like it better than the original square box version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Vinhos and the 2010 version has been in my top 10 for quite some time. I was super excited to get the deluxe edition, and after playing both sides (including the changes to 2010), I still love the 2010 the most. I find the fair in 2016 to be nowhere near as interesting and miss the bank and everything that adds to the game. That being said, I was so surprised by how much I also enjoyed the 2016 side. It is the "fast and loose" Vinhos that is still fun to play and really ramps up the amount of wine you can make. Overall, I'm really happy I have both sides in the new version and am excited to try some of the additions of the 2016 version in 2010 (tourists, farmers for hire, etc.). 2016 will be the version that comes out on a week night or with my gaming groups that prefer medium-weight games, while 2010 will continue to be a feature game/weekend game. (FWIW, I have played 2010 at all player counts and 2016 only with 2 so far.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both versions of Vinhos and have played both 2010 (WYG? edition) and 2016. Personally, I prefer 2016 but will play both. I really enjoyed the bank and the general struggle in 2010 but, as other people have mentioned, 2016 is more fun (at least for me). Also, the fair -- which I've never found that compelling in either version -- is less obtuse in 2016.

I also feel like the interaction has been improved in 2016, maintaining everything that you had in 2010 but adding competition for the bonus tiles. In 2010, with those limited spots, it just wasn't as intense. In addition, 2016 expands the potential player scope (if just a bit). While my experience is obviously limited, 2016 has been better received than 2010 ever was.

Both versions are wonderfully crunchy -- and I will continue to play both versions -- but 2016 will likely come out more often. But I'm glad they included both versions as this discussion becomes mostly academic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a pile of thoughts I've been working on but haven't played them enough to solidify them. In the meantime, I believe 2010 to be the much better Vital game; however, I would not be surprised if 2016 is enjoyed by more.

2016 is much closer to the popular mid-weight point optimization style of euros that crowds the field. A well-done one. It is loose and offers lots of choices, has a touch of strategy but a heavy dose of tactics.

2010 has very little tactics and is incredibly tight and relies on wise long-term strategical decisions. In 2010 you are not just trying to do better than other players, but trying to accomplish your own goals which is a challenge in itself, and it's that challenge I love in Vital's games. That feeling where you feel your brain firing on all cylinders just trying to figure out how you can get yourself out of the hole you caused last turn so your wine empire doesn't crumble as you break out into mental sweat. This is why I love Vital's designs and not most of the other generic "push cubes, spend resources, get more resources, count them up at the end" designs that swarm the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The vast majority of the times that I have played, well, either version, I have been teaching at least one person. Most of those times, I was teaching the entire table.

The delineations between the bank and cash-on-hand in the WYG version were difficult to teach, difficult for new players to learn, and the source of the most common complaint I heard about the game: while there are a lot of things that are very complex, most of them contributed positively to gameplay; that distinction, on the other hand, was needlessly complex, and really added nothing to the game.

The 2016 version is still complex, and I still recommend that people play it 2 or 3 times before dismissing it as a game they don't like. But the fact that it's more streamlined, and that the added distinction of the bank was removed, makes it (in my opinion) much easier to teach, which is critical for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
It is loose and offers lots of choices, has a touch of strategy but a heavy dose of tactics.

I'll first put a disclaimer that people should play whatever they enjoy most and I love both versions.

BUT...this is fundamentally inaccurate. Vinhos 2016 is largely the same game. It is, indeed, a little looser and the engine ramps up faster, but this makes it sound like "Carcassonne: The Vineyard". It is still a strategic game. The only changes were removing the bank, simplifying the wine fair entry, and adding the variable bonus tiles (whether it be for in-game bonuses or end-game scoring). But the actual game play itself is the same.

2016 isn't "Roll for the Winery". (At this point, I'm just enjoying making up names)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyrayiam wrote:
Coren wrote:
It is loose and offers lots of choices, has a touch of strategy but a heavy dose of tactics.

BUT...this is fundamentally inaccurate.

I stand by my opinion, with the caveat it's in comparison to the 2010 version. Vital even designed it to play as such.

Of course, play what you like. We're talking about games here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyrayiam wrote:
Coren wrote:

I'll first put a disclaimer that people should play whatever they enjoy most and I love both versions.

BUT...this is fundamentally inaccurate. Vinhos 2016 is largely the same game. It is, indeed, a little looser and the engine ramps up faster, but this makes it sound like "Carcassonne: The Vineyard". It is still a strategic game. The only changes were removing the bank, simplifying the wine fair entry, and adding the variable bonus tiles (whether it be for in-game bonuses or end-game scoring). But the actual game play itself is the same.

2016 isn't "Roll for the Winery". (At this point, I'm just enjoying making up names)

Winery: the card game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
bobbyrayiam wrote:
Coren wrote:

BUT...this is fundamentally inaccurate.

I stand by my opinion, with the caveat it's in comparison to the 2010 version. Vital even designed it to play as such.

Of course, play what you like. We're talking about games here

Totally fair. I'll play Vinhos. You can play "Ticket to Ride: Napa Valley". (I'm kidding at this point). meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... 2010; she's a BEAUTIFUL woman, and I've already gotten her quirks and idiosyncrasies figured out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in with my limited viewpoint.

Vinhos has been on my radar since I played CO2, but never had the chance to play it.

I funded the deluxe edition as soon as possible.

Now I've played the 2016 version a couple of times, and, compared to other Vital's games, it feels quite ... bland. At this moment, but my opinion can change, I don't feel there is much peculiar about it to make it stand out as a game. There is a difficult action selection mechanic (difficult = you can't always do what you wish), and until now I've not yet found many interesting ways to score point. Probably 2p is not the right player count. But this is just an initial feeling and I need to delve more into the game.

I have yet to play the 2010 version, and I hope that it will be more interesting from the start. But I keep it for later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
I have yet to play the 2010 version, and I hope that it will be more interesting from the start. But I keep it for later.

Definitely give the 2010 version a shot; I think it'll add that flavor back you're missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Naxer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting results! I'm a bigger fan of 2016 for most occasions. It fits the bills for the "let's play a game, something interesting" kinda night. For that long boring day though, when your brain is ready for it, taking a sip of the 2010 vintage is very satisfying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bedell
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my best barometer about which to prefer:

Agricola (2010)
-or-
Caverna (2016)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.