Subject: Thoughts and questions of a mage knight beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Hey everyone!

I just finished my first game of Mage Knight and I would like to share my thoughts and ask a few questions to this community:

With watching the full runthrough of Ricky Royal and thegamestuff (even more helpful), I was able to start my walkthrough tutorial mission right away playing solo. Only swiftness and dealing poison to my units had to be looked up in the rulebook.
I finished the mission after 60min playtime (found the city with my last hand) and I can not be happier with my purchase of Mage Knight - I had a BLAST!

Nevertheless, I have a few questions to the more experienced players:

1.) I will play this game with another player on the weekend. Sometimes during my first playthrough I felt that this game could be a bit racey, where players both want to defeat a monster and whoever gets there faster gets all the benefits. Is this a problem sometimes? Or will players usually spread out far enough to not bother with the same monster tiles?

2.) Is a score of 27 in the walkthrough scenario a decent score? (I forgot to add +1 fame for every discovered map tile)

3.) Is the game still enjoyable if you fully neglect PvP even in competitive scenarios?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, racing to defeat monsters is very much part of the game. If you don't think you can win the race, you want to pick a destination your opponent can't beat you to (or one you think will cost them so much to race to that if they get it first, they'll have sacrificed more resources than they can afford).

3) I've never played with PvP and I love it as a multiplayer competitive game. Others might feel differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"Arrange whatever pieces come your way." Virginia Woolf
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played PvP either and have played many, many times both solo and with another. Fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2) I wouldn't worry about score in the walkthrough scenario. You'll get a more realistic and useful to compare score from a full conquest.

3) I've never played PvP but remember reading a report recently when a guy and his GF played and he said he attacked her near the start and for the rest of the game she was really struggling to keep up. Sounds like it could turn people off and the game is amazing without it anyway plus it's even more rules complexity!
I'd say forget it for now and if you think it needs it add it in later. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after a long break from gaming I have now returned. I ordered Mage Knight yesterday and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I must say the rules look quite intimidating, but I like a challenge! I'm sure I'll be posting the odd question on the forum! Seems like the game has a big following and lots of re-playability, just what I was looking for. I got a bit bored with WW2 games and fancied a change. Regards to all, Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Michael,

Glad you have found your way to this wonderful game and are enjoying it.

To answer your questions.

1) When you play with more people you use more map tiles so there is more space for you to explore but you do need to try to plan out your path and get as many adventure sites as you can on you way to the cities.

2) The walkthrough scenario is the tutorial mission I am not sure if anybody remembers their score from it. I suggest playing it once by yourself and then using it to teach other new players but after that you should really move on to one of the other scenarios.

3) I have never played this game pvp. I have played this game over 100 times solo though so I would the game is plenty of fun no matter what mode you choose.

Hope you have fun exploring this extremely deep and satisfying game both alone and with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salut Michael!

scheuche wrote:
1.) I will play this game with another player on the weekend. Sometimes during my first playthrough I felt that this game could be a bit racey, where players both want to defeat a monster and whoever gets there faster gets all the benefits. Is this a problem sometimes? Or will players usually spread out far enough to not bother with the same monster tiles?
Different scenarios will deliver a different experience. In cooperative ones, you will spread out. In competitive ones, it depends on the goal; in full conquest you might spread out, in Conquer & Hold not.

scheuche wrote:
2.) Is a score of 27 in the walkthrough scenario a decent score? (I forgot to add +1 fame for every discovered map tile)
As others have said, there is no point in worrying about score in the walkthrough scenario. It's just to get you acquainted with the mechanisms of the game.

scheuche wrote:
3.) Is the game still enjoyable if you fully neglect PvP even in competitive scenarios?
I have played the game with PvP, once, with a very experienced player. But it was the nature of the scenario, "Conquer & Hold", that required it. PvP adds a lot to the game but mind you, most competitive scenarios will end without PvP. It's not the actual PvP that spices up competitive scenarios, but the threat of it; for instance, you might hesitate playing out your last hand if it will leave you exposed to another player. Most of the time, you won't see it. I have played 2-3 competitive scenarios only and only once I had an actual PvP combat.

This game is not playing PvP with other players, but using it as a threat, to come back from a losing position or to delay your opponent when you have the upper hand in firepower.

Having said that, I do recommend playing the first scenarios cooperatively so that you can all get familiar with the game without worrying about PvP. Once you feel comfortable with that, you might consider trying out a competitive one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.