Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a -- in my opinion -- whip-smart (computer programmer, 3d animator, math-brainy, but also literary and into the arts and philosophy) friend who recently bought a game table that is currently being used for jigsaw puzzles with a partner/roommate. I'd like to get them a game for Christmas. We've talked a little about games, so it wouldn't be out of the blue (i.e. they're not going to growl, "jigsaw puzzles only"), but since I'm relatively new to playing and still have more games on my "Want to Play" list than my "Have Played," I'd love to see some of your recommendations.

The game should play well with two players, and it's okay if it's *only* for two, but would be nice if there was a solo variant as well.

Might Patchwork be a good choice? I haven't played that one yet, but I heard you don't have to be a quilter to appreciate it. I was also thinking about Hive or Tsuro (which I have played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork was definitely the first thing that came to my mind too. It's a great two player game and no, you definitely don't need to be a quilter to appreciate it. If spatial thinking is their strong suit you can't go wrong with that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carney
United States
Fairmont
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could give The Ravens of Thri Sahashri a shot. It is subtle, original, challenging, and on top of it all - inexpensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne sounds like it might be suitable too... Would definitely appeal to his puzzle roots!

Lots of expansions available too should he want to expand later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with Targi. It has a different 2P "puzzle" appeal. I own & play it.

You might also look into Pueblo for 3D fun. -- Multiplayer capabilities, as well.
It's a classic Kiesling & Kramer design from 2002. ~ Good luck!

_
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with The Ravens of Thri Sahashri, Patchwork, would also say Honshu-I was surprised how well this worked with 2 as well as Dokmus from the same company. And while not particularly jigsaw like but excellent for 2 I'd recommend Hanamikoji and Elements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few things you might want to look at:

Castles of Mad King Ludwig - in it you are buying and laying tiles to form a crazy castle. Your choice of which tiles to buy and how you place them affect your scoring so it's puzzly in that way. It also has a nice solo variant in the rulebook.

New York 1901 - In this gateway level game you are competing to be the best developer in turn of the century New York. In it you are are acquiring plots of land then building a variety of different "tetris-shaped" buildings to fill in those plots and score points. Complicating the matters is that you can build over previous generations of buildings with newer buildings (subject to some rules) and you are competing for street majority bonuses (most buildings on given streets) and other bonuses. Lots of nice choices here in this game. No solo variant.

Quadropolis is another gateway game in which you use workers to obtain buildings to place on your player mat. The positioning of the buildings relative to each other affect scoring (and flexibility for future placements). Complicating matters is that when you acquire buildings you obtain different resources, which can be used to activate buildings for endgame scoring but having excess resources at the end of the game incurs a scoring penalty.

Have fun shopping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always considered Factory Fun to be more of a puzzle than a game. I'm sure the new Factory Funner is the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
A Feast for Odin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe take a look at Aton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubongo

Enigma

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Enigma, I found it dull at 2P and the puzzles are mostly not that challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blokus Duo, Blokus 3D
+1 to the Ubongo Series

These are less directly related, but might be of interest:
Ricochet Robots
Take it Easy!
Sunda to Sahul (used, probably). Uses wooden jigsaw pieces.
Carcassonne, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzly, for non-gamers, good with 2 players but also playable solo: Pelican Cove
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d like to suggest my Topology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuromanced wrote:
Might Patchwork be a good choice? I haven't played that one yet, but I heard you don't have to be a quilter to appreciate it. I was also thinking about Hive or Tsuro (which I have played).

Patchwork is definitely a great 2p game for people who likes to solve spatial puzzles, though you could also consider the newer Cottage Garden.

While I haven't tried CG yet, IMO CG has more emphasis on solving a spatial puzzle efficiently compared to patchwork, due to both the latter's bigger player board & button economy system. In PW you actually have a lot of freedom in how you place your pieces, & your decision point early is more 'button resource' based than spatially. In contrast, CG has none of the economy system, & instead focuses on having you solve many smaller puzzles over the game. The fact that you could technically count which pieces are accessible to you over the next few turns also helps.

I also second Quadropolis as a good spatial puzzle, since you not only have to consider which pieces you want, but how you obtain them determines where they can be placed on your player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a co-op game is OK, then take a look at Castellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for both New York 1901 and Patchwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgmclay wrote:
You might also look into Pueblo for 3D fun. -- Multiplayer capabilities, as well.
It's a classic Kiesling & Kramer design from 2002. ~ Good luck!

+1

Also, +1 for Patchwork.
s
I also recommend The Princes of Florence. The optimal fitting of buildings of various shapes into one's palazzo is important to winning.

and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Adding rooms to your castle involves taking advantage of bonus points while conforming with placement rules.

IOTA is very interesting; I consider it a blend of SET + Scrabble. Recognizing patterns and laying cards for points is the way it's played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Qwirkle is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Sheung
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Melencolia comes with 14 different games. Great for two players. All games are suitable to puzzle lovers and math-brainy players as well. These games can improve your cognitive learning abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Karuba or 4 Gods. I think those would satisfy a puzzly person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion would be for logic puzzle type games, just played Gads Hill 1874 for example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the title, Patchwork was the first one that came to mind. Gads Hill is another good choice.

Two others that might be worth looking at are Akrotiri and Neuland. I know Neuland is OOP so it'd have to be used but it's usually available on BGG for cheap. I think Akrotiri is still in stores and it's a good puzzly game.

but, yeah, Patchwork is head and shoulders above the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.