Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd get some discussion going on Decks. This is my Agnes deck, and I've got my build for all three scenarios in the core set included. I haven't actually *played* the third one yet, so that configuration won't have any results, just the theory. I'll scenario specific discussion in spoiler tags. First I'll give overall Agnes thoughts and deck theory. Then I'll specifically talk about piloting them in the scenarios.
__

Agnes is a beast. With the right set up, she's capable of doing anything. I like to think of this deck as one that says "Damn the rules, I'm doing it my way". She's got a lot of tricks up her sleeve and using them appropriately can gather clues and fight equally well. She'll never investigate like Daisy, and never blow stuff up like Roland, but she can do a damn good job at both.

Initial Deck. Under "Progress" you can click through to the XP'd up decks.

I went in looking to maximize my purple cards because I was playing solo. Many of the survivor cards are about mitigating failure, not necessarily improving your chances to succeed. I doubled up on Scrying, Blinding Light, and Shriveling because these cards are *absolutely* critical to your success and I don't mind playing multiple copies throughout the game. Scrying is much better with 1p than with 3-4 because it loses some of it's utility in looking at the encounter deck when you have multiple people. It's still useful, and can help other investigators, but it isn't quite as strong as it is in 1p. Rabbits Foot, Leather Coat, and Lucky are my only splashes. Leather Coat is necessary because Agnes is a bit squishy on the health side. Lucky and Rabbits Foot to help when you do fail. RF competes with Agnes' necklace though, so you can swap it out easily for something else. Another Lucky isn't bad, or "Look What I Found".

Drawn to the Flame is another ridiculously useful card. High shroud in a location? Who cares. Scry the Encounter Deck to bury the nasty monster and the play it to draw an encounter you can easily use. Bonus if you use Ward of Protection to just ignore what you drew and the horror that you just got to eliminate a monster in your location. Agnes is a combo builders dream character. Remember that Arcane Initiate won't advance the Agenda on her own, so if it's going to advance next Mythos phase you can just play her and not worry about the drawback. Also, your 1 damage for 1 horror ability can fire once *per phase* which means that you have a lot of opportunity to use it. Combo with Forbidden Knowledge to eliminate monsters at opportune times.

If you're avoiding spoilers, skip the rest of this post and just ask questions if you have any.
___

**The Gathering (Solo, 2p, 4p)**

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This deck did really well in solo mod once I added the leather coat. Before that, I was getting eaten alive. The Coat, and an Arcane Initiate, can help absorb some damage. I generally am looking for Arcane Studies and Emergency Cache in my starting hand here. Rabbits Foot or some spells are a bonus. Generally, I'll take the entire first turn just setting up and not worry too much about searching to start. Once I'm set, I try to go as fast as possible. Investigate and Evade in the study. Once you advance, I do Attic before Cellar and try to get all the Attic Clues since they're easier. Drawn to the Flame helps in the Cellar, since you can ignore shroud. Monsters get tough here. Rats can be dispatched with your ability, Blinding Late can take out Ghoul Minions on its own.

Once the Ghoul Priest arrives, you can use Blinding Light and Shriveling to kill it in a single turn. Blinding Light first to exhaust it so it can't retaliate, then Shriveling to finish it off. You don't even need Lita, though she's beneficial. I finished this scenario solo carrying forward 5 XP, in a group of 4 we carried forward 8. In a group, try to focus more on helping your friends with the monsters. If Lita is around, Agnes can (potentially) deal 12 damage on her own in a single round. Even if you don't max it out, She can bring the pain.

**Midnight Masks (4p)**

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not much changes except upgrading Blinding Light and Lucky. Blinding Light is great for flexibility and the extra damage that comes from it is fantastic. Lucky helps in a pinch and helps with draw.

In this scenario, I was primarily a clue gatherer and cultist hunter. Using Forbidden Secrets, you can waltz into a location with one of those pesky doom-hoarding Acolytes and take them out with your ability, gaining a resource in the process. My role in this scenario was mostly support. Roland was the primary bruiser, but Agnes can come in in a pinch to help out. Having a Shriveling in your opening hand is *key* here as you need the extra damage from the beginning. No easy rats here.

We got 8 XP again, so I replaced my Leather Jacket with a Bullet Proof Vest and the Rabbits Foot with the Elder Sign Medallion. If you've got your cards out, then she doesn't fail tests very often so the Rabbits Foot was limited value. We got lots of XP, so the third upgrade is to drop an Arcane Studies for a Grotesque Statue. Not sure how this will shake out, but figured I'd use the XP since I had it. Only need 1 copy of Studies anyway.

_ _ _

So that's my Agnes deck. I'm really enjoying her play style. She's resource light, which can sometimes be a problem but she isn't too bad. I leaned on cheap cards over expensive ones to help mitigate that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really enjoying Agnes as well, like you said she gets things done but in unconventional ways.

Thoughts on your deck:

* I'd consider adding a second Forbidden Knowledge to your deck, as it combos extremely well with Agnes' ability to convert horror into damage on enemies.
* I also think splashing Look What I Found is extremely useful as Agnes' biggest struggle is discovering clues and she is often short by 1 or 2.
* I'd suggest swapping Overpower for Guts - she generally doesn't have much success with regular Fight actions, so why not make her Shrivelling and Blinding Lights even more successful?
* Lastly, I'd swap Rabbit's Foot out for Holy Rosary - that extra Willpower is certainly useful and the additional Sanity is nice too. How has your experience been so far with Rabbit's Foot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
decadence20 wrote:

* I'd consider adding a second Forbidden Knowledge to your deck, as it combos extremely well with Agnes' ability to convert horror into damage on enemies.

Initially I had 2, but found myself not needing the 2nd...mostly because I couldn't take the damage from this AND the monsters/random effects. It's nice to have an extra so you draw it but I can't think of many times that I'd be able to take 8 horror. Have you found the 2nd one gets used much? The extra resources would be nice.

Quote:
* I'd suggest swapping Overpower for Guts - she generally doesn't have much success with regular Fight actions, so why not make her Shrivelling and Blinding Lights even more successful?

My Overpowers are there as much to help my allies as they are to help me. There will be times that I don't have Shriveling or I'm trying to save charges, and overpower is there for when I have to do a regular fight action. I can absolutely see swapping it out though. I haven't found myself missing Guts (she's usually at +1 when Shriveling before any discards; seems to be pretty good rate of success on Standard difficulty). I may regret saying that going into the 3rd scenario though!

Quote:
* Lastly, I'd swap Rabbit's Foot out for Holy Rosary - that extra Willpower is certainly useful and the additional Sanity is nice too. How has your experience been so far with Rabbit's Foot?
* I also think splashing Look What I Found is extremely useful as Agnes' biggest struggle is discovering clues and she is often short by 1 or 2.

Rabbits Foot is pretty meh. I really don't fail enough checks for it to be useful, which is why I ultimately dropped it for the Elder Sign in my upgraded deck. It's nice to have extra draw but it's never stood out as anything special. I can see using Rosary instead of it in early scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on Forbidden Knowledge. It's very useful for Agnes and it's much nicer to see it in your opening hand. I don't play the second one usually. Also Rosary I think is an amazing card for Agnes because Willpower 6 means she almost never needs to worry about upping her willpower. That frees up quite a bit of deck space and means you don't need to spend so much on Arcane Studies. Also it's like a baby Elder Sign consider it has 2 sanity on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I can see where the extra willpower would be nice. Studies is good because of the flexibility it can add with investigating. I haven't tested with Rosary, but maybe I'll go through and try it when we finish this campaign. I can see that working well with the Grotesque Statue and just making you an unstoppable spell slinging machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agnes is for combo lovers. She starts off underpower, but get a couple of assets out there and all of a sudden she becomes pretty useful. Get all her toys out and she feels incredible to play. Mystics have fun cards. That's why I'm pretty excited about Jim. He loses Agnes' offensive card power, but gains the ability to put in some Seeker card draw, which might make him even more consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FFG Chick

Minnesota
msg tools
Why is Agnes a "nasty" woman?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a cheeky reference to the US election. Agnes is awesome and I'm riffing off the social media movement or whatever it was to own the Nasty Woman meme afer one of the debates. I know a lot of woman who flipped the insult into a positive thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Good insights, especially regarding the utility of Scrying in 1p vs 4p games. After just steamrolling with Wendy and Roland, I'm fixing to get in an Agnes/Daisy campaign as soon as I get Curse of the RGarou to stick in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.