Subject: What's My Next Favorite Euro?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Castles of Burgundy. It's a top 4 game for me (out of my collection of 40-something and the few dozen other games I've played).

I need my next favorite Euro. But, unfortunately, it has to also suit my gaming group, and their idea of a Euro is something lightweight like Takenoko or maybe Catan... though, the one time we played CoB, it went over well.

What game will get them into heavier Euros?

Personally, I want something that's easy to get into but that can be slowly mastered and that rewards dozens and dozens of replays. It can't be too long, for the group's sake (I'd gladly play a game for several hours, but they can't do that).

We have lots of games with a space/sci-fi theme (e.g. Cosmic Encounter, Among the Stars, Mission: Red Planet, etc...). That theme seems to go over well. So, I was thinking of Eclipse, but it seems too long for the usual group. And, in any case, they might welcome a break from that theme, since so many of my games have it.

I guess the only other consideration is that they don't do well with lots of downtime. CoB has simultaneous dice rolling and then we are all working on what we're going to do next at the same time. Something like that would be great....

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Frick

Iowa
msg tools
Felds new game the oracle of Delphi has been compared to COB in many of the reviews and is apparently an amazing game in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gemmer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not sci-fi, but the first thing to pop in my head is Concordia Euro with plenty going on decision-wise, but a rulebook that is a single sheet of paper.

Among the Stars fits your theme and is an interesting and light drafting tableau optimization game. I enjoyed the game play quite a bit but didn't care for the effort required to set the game up and all the sorting to put it away.

Edits:typo and broken link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola, with all it's cards has loads and loads of replay value. And you can start with the family version (without cards).

But probably better is Orléans. If you agree with each other to not look at each others board, you can do much of this game in parallel. I played this game a lot, it has many different strategies. And it is a cool game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never go worng with Puerto Rico (my favorite euro).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
I love the Castles of Burgundy. It's a top 4 game for me (out of my collection of 40-something and the few dozen other games I've played).

I need my next favorite Euro. But, unfortunately, it has to also suit my gaming group, and their idea of a Euro is something lightweight like Takenoko or maybe Catan... though, the one time we played CoB, it went over well.

Personally, I want something that's easy to get into but that can be slowly mastered and that rewards dozens and dozens of replays. It can't be too long, for the group's sake (I'd gladly play a game for several hours, but they can't do that).

We have lots of games with a space/sci-fi theme (e.g. Cosmic Encounter, Among the Stars, Mission: Red Planet, etc...). That theme seems to go over well. So, I was thinking of Eclipse, but it seems too long for the usual group. And, in any case, they might welcome a break from that theme, since so many of my games have it.

I guess the only other consideration is that they don't do well with lots of downtime. CoB has simultaneous dice rolling and then we are all working on what we're going to do next at the same time. Something like that would be great....

Thoughts?

Roll for the Galaxy. Simultaneous dice rolling with a space theme. Playable in under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never miss a chance to recommend Viticulture Essential Edition. Superb gameplay and a fantastic theme to match. As a bonus, it has an awesome Automa solo bot that allows you to play between group plays. Tuscany Essential Edition is hitting retail right now and Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion is widely available, so it can expand if you take to it.

Also consider Champions of Midgard. It's a great worker placement game with some monster-killing dice chucking to spice things up. It's enjoying a nice little bump right now from The Tabletop Effect, so it should be easy to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Mentat1231 wrote:

Thoughts?

Roll for the Galaxy. Simultaneous dice rolling with a space theme. Playable in under an hour.

I'd been considering Roll for the Galaxy. Maybe I'll give it a closer look. I don't know what it is that has been making think we wouldn't like this one. I need to watch some reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casaubon wrote:
Agricola, with all it's cards has loads and loads of replay value. And you can start with the family version (without cards).

But probably better is Orléans. If you agree with each other to not look at each others board, you can do much of this game in parallel. I played this game a lot, it has many different strategies. And it is a cool game!

Hm... I'll have to look into Orleans as well. The look of the components was super uninspiring, but then... CoB is butt-ugly and it's one of my favorite games. LOL. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug L
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I never miss a chance to recommend Viticulture Essential Edition. Superb gameplay and a fantastic theme to match. As a bonus, it has an awesome Automa solo bot that allows you to play between group plays. Tuscany Essential Edition is hitting retail right now and Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion is widely available, so it can expand if you take to it.

Also consider Champions of Midgard. It's a great worker placement game with some monster-killing dice chucking to spice things up. It's enjoying a nice little bump right now from The Tabletop Effect, so it should be easy to find.

+1 for Viticulture Essential Edition. That was the game that got into Euros. It plays great. Very simple gameplay where you can learn long term strategy. You can play it solo too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
canada_doug wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

+1 for Viticulture Essential Edition. That was the game that got into Euros. It plays great. Very simple gameplay where you can learn long term strategy. You can play it solo too.

Sounds excellent. Maybe that's the one I'll try!

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is really good, if you can get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best Euro is definitely the one that debuted at Essen this year. It's easily my favorite of all time. Until next year at Origins when the highly anticipated, best Euro of 2017 is released. I'd definitely recommend that one. It's going to be awesome!

In all seriousness, the Euro games that have gotten the most replay value with my gaming friends are World Without End, Notre Dame, and Agricola/Caverna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kushnir wrote:
You can never go worng with Puerto Rico (my favorite euro).

+1 for Puerto Rico. It's gone over really well with both my gaming friends and non-gaming friends alike (and is also pretty quick to learn and teach). It's probably my most (or second most?) played game.

Bonus: It's also pretty quick to play once you've played a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:
casaubon wrote:

Hm... I'll have to look into Orleans as well. The look of the components was super uninspiring, but then... CoB is butt-ugly and it's one of my favorite games. LOL. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jup, same thing as CoB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
+1 Puerto Rico, great great game! I love COB as well and Puerto Rico is one of a few games I have played that is at the same level. It is just one of those games that I would rarely turn down an offer to play.
Concordia and Orleans are also good but I don't rate them as high.
PR is just a classic and it will always be in my collection. For many years it was the #1 game on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
flag msg tools
Per Aspera ad Astra
badge
In Hoc Signo Vinces
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia would be a good one if you like Castles of Burgundy. Not a huge step up either. Very intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.