Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a discussion going on at the FiveThirtyEight website about a woman who cannot get most people to call her by her given name.
That is, they usually shorten it and it annoys the hell out of her.
As an example, she said that her given name could be Cindy Lou, but she had a hard time with people who addressed her only as "Cindy".
All of her emails, business cards, and signed correspondance uses the full Cindy Lou, but people still reply to her using just Cindy.

I have a professional relationship with a woman named Deborah.
On the first day that I met her, she told me that I could call her "Deborah" or "Deb", but she absolutely detested being called "Debbie", so would I mind never doing that?
I respect her wishes and send correspondance to Deborah, and call her Deb in person. No big deal to me, and it must mean enough to her that she had to spell it out when we met.

Have you got a name that "everyone" gets wrong? Or a common shortened name that you can't stand (people call you "Pat" instead of "Patrick")?

Maybe the opposite? My brother's given name is Kenneth. We all called him Kenny when we were growing up, but he hates that now and wants everyone to call him Ken. I have a hard time not adding the -ny to it, seeing as I went for years, but I managed to adjust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to work with a woman named Elke (pronouced "Elka"). She hated it when people pronounced her name "Elky." She would say, "I'm not Elke Sommer."

My name and my father's name are both "Joseph." My family has always called my father "Joe" and me "Joey." The rest of the world calls me "Joe" (or occasionally, "Joseph"). I don't mind when my family calls me "Joey," but it seems strange when other people do. It doesn't annoy me, it just seems strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Gregory, but people always shorten it to Greg. It's not a huge deal, but I do prefer the longer version, since that is the name on my birth certificate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing, and I could not care what people call me, as long as they respect my right to treat them inn the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
My name is Gregory, but people always shorten it to Greg. It's not a huge deal, but I do prefer the longer version, since that is the name on my birth certificate.

My sister is Jennifer, and was this way when we were growing up - she always prefers Jennifer, and none of the shorter versions.

Now, as an adult, she actually prefers Jen.

I'm a Jeffrey, but have always gone by Jeff. I don't really mind either, though for most people if you say Jeffrey I'm going to assume you don't know me well, or if you do, then I'm in trouble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been called by lots of variations of my name over the years and it's never bothered me - it's just a label. However, I agree with Joe that it feels weird when a family nickname is used by someone not in the family. Weird, but nothing I'd mention.

I did know someone called Gary and when someone referred to him as 'Gaz,' informed them quite succinctly that his name was Gary and that was what he should be called.

My brother, on the other hand, is Daniel or Dan. Though I don't think it would bother him, no one has ever called him Danny - it just doesn't fit for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
It's weird how some people get irritated at being referred to by their full first name, but other people get irritated if you casually attempt to shorten it to a nickname.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had people call me William, Bill, Will, whatever. I don't care.

I met a woman, Alex, through a mutual acquaintance, Marie-Jo. After about six months, one day Alex said, "You know, my name isn't Alex, and I wish you wouldn't call me that. It's Alexandra. Marie-Jo is the only person who calls me Alex and I can't get her to stop." When I asked why she didn't correct the name when Marie-Jo introduced us, she said she feels awkward doing correcting Marie-Jo since she refuses to use the right name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Years ago, I changed my Outlook name at work from David (my official name) to Dave. Everyone calls me Dave except for two folks; one is a David himself, and the other is a Dave himself. I don't think they are doing it to get my goat, they just have some mental block (as I have corrected them once or twice in the past to no avail). It's bizarre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go by Christopher on all of my signed documents, all of my emails to outside professional contacts, and when I am interacting with others in a professional environment.

People who know me (family, close friends, a few others) call me Chris.

Both names are acceptable.

I had a client one that insisted on being called "Dick", and he was a dick about it. His birth certificate said Richard. One day, when an associate in a different department addressed a letter to him titled "Richard ______", he wrote a four-page missive back to the partner on the account about how his name was Dick, he is always called Dick, even his mother calls him Dick, and that it was completely inappropriate for this person to have addressed a letter to him as Richard. Dick even demanded that the partner fire the associate for not addressing him as Dick, or he would pull the account and find another firm.

The partner let the irate Dick leave as a client. I am glad I did not have to work for Dick any longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister has a hyphen in her name, and goes nuts if someone forgets it or spells it in a different way.
"It's Jo-Ann, not Joanne, or Jo Ann!!" angry

Meanwhile, my wife's parents were both Italian and named her after a family member from Italy. But in Italy, the letter "I" is pronounced "ee", so even though her birth certificate shows Ida (Ee-dah), so many people in North America called her Eye-dah that her mom changed the spelling, from I to E, when she started school.
Suddenly everyone was calling her Ed-dah.
To this day, she is sick of people calling her Edna, adding an N where there isn't one, or "Ed-dah" if they don't know her.
She won't go back to the original spelling, because she doesn't like the North American spelling of the name Eye-da (Ida).
So she can't win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite sitcom gag lines:

A: "Hello, I'm Buggle Hogsworth"
B: "That's an unusual name. How do you pronounce it?"
A: "Ummm... Buggle Hogsworth"
B: "Oh, just like it sounds."

(The name wasn't Buggle Hogsworth, but you get the idea.)
(Anybody remember which sitcom it is? Hint: Character B was a supporting character who showed up whenever anybody had to say something stupid. He was replaced partway through with another character who had the same trait.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

I have a professional relationship with a woman named Deborah.
On the first day that I met her, she told me that I could call her "Deborah" or "Deb", but she absolutely detested being called "Debbie", so would I mind never doing that?

During my school years, everyone wanted to call me Deborah and it used to really piss me off because that is not my name. They would even argue with me and try to say that's how it was on my birth certificate (it isn't.) Nowadays, I really don't care what people call me: Debbie, Deb, Deborah, Debra, Deborini, Debineezer, whatever. My secret preference is Deb or Debs but I've never told anyone that and will answer to pretty much anything vaguely resembling my name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people call me Dan or Daniel, both of which are fine. I'll also answer to just my last name, Nad, or Hey you. But God help you if you call me Danny. My grandmother is the only person allowed to do that and that's only out of my respect for her as my elder and the woman who brought my mother into the world and thus allowed me to also be brought into the world. That means not even my own mother or my wife have been permitted. I HATE names that end with a double consonant followed by a Y. Which means you will partially understand why my least favorite word in the English language is the pet name "Hubby".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I work with a guy whose middle name is Tecumsuh. He has a very common first name and last name, but his middle name is Tecumsuh and he is very proud to tell everyone he meets his middle name. Well, I thought it was such an amazing name that I started calling him Tecumsuh and he got really mad at me one day and said "My name is MICHAEL*!" I tried to explain that I was only calling him Tecumsuh because the name is amazing, but he cut me off angrily and said I could only call him Michael.* Wow, okayyyy. Well why proudly tell everyone your middle name and then get mad if people use it? I dunno. Tecumsuh is one strange dude.

*first name changed to protect the grumpy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll answer to plenty. My lord, oh great king, emperor of all, fearless leader, as long as you take a knee when you address me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
[ Nowadays, I really don't care what people call me: Debbie, Deb, Deborah, Debra, Deborini, Debineezer, whatever. My secret preference is Deb or Debs but I've never told anyone that and will answer to pretty much anything vaguely resembling my name.

Debineezer it is, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
sunkencheerio wrote:
[ Nowadays, I really don't care what people call me: Debbie, Deb, Deborah, Debra, Deborini, Debineezer, whatever. My secret preference is Deb or Debs but I've never told anyone that and will answer to pretty much anything vaguely resembling my name.

Debineezer it is, then!

It's that time of year! Debineezer Scrooge is here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My name can be shortened to a common nickname but I have always gone by my full name. Some in my family have shortened my name to a 1-syllable version, but everyone uses my full name. Some co-workers in long-ago jobs used the common nickname. It never bothered me, but I do prefer my full name.

I would elaborate, but then I'd have to kill you. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just call people by the name they use when introducing themselves. If I don't know and the name has a common short form, I ask.

Revolutionary, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Even after introducing myself as Shannon, many many people will later call me either Shane or Shaun.

My theory is these people recalling my name know Shannon as mainly a female name and convince themselves that my name must be something that sounds similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first name is William. It is a family thing. All first born males are named William, for as far back as the family tree can be tracked on my Fathers side. It is not something so serious that people would get angry if a generation decided not to do it, but everyone (that is alive to ask about it) has just liked the tradition and stuck with it. Due to there being so many men named William in the family we all go by our middle name. I prefer Austin. Friends and family call me Austin.

In a professional setting or some short term setting where you apply with your first name and I end up having to go by William I do prefer the full version. I will answer to Will or William. I am not used to hearing Bill at all, so people that decide to call me that get ignored (and not on purpose) cause I just don't register that they are trying to get my attention. I had a girlfriend once that called me Billiam because she thought it was fun. I didn't mind.

As far as others are concerned I will start off calling them by their full first name or something else if they are introduced some other way. I prefer to use the full first name and, unless a person is very straight forward about not wanting to be called it or really wanting to be called something else, will stick to using the full first name even if others around me are calling them something else.

I know it is a weird specificity, but I really like the name Katherine. I find it beautiful and enjoy the full name much more than shortened Katie, Kate, Kat, etc. Whenever I interact with a Katherine on a regular basis I stick to the full name unless they are very blunt/aggressive/angry with me about it.

My first girlfriend, back when I was 15, was named Genevieve, but she hated it and went by Geneva instead. She would get livid and scream at me and then be pissed for like three days at me if I slipped up and said Genevieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmm - I get this in two different ways.

Firstly I have a surname that is also a common word, but pronounced differently (although it is not unheard of). Now you might expect that I have to routinely correct people, and this is both true and not entirely unreasonable. What is unreasonable is when I correct them and they just carry on saying it wrong, or when I give my name at the start of an interaction, and they say "ah, Mister not-my-name" whilst looking me up in a register or something. No. I just said it right there in front of you (or over the phone), is there something wrong with your ears or brain?

And then, and this one is a bit of a mystery, I have throughout my working life worked with an oddly high number of people who have been told my name (and hell, this has happened while I've been wearing a name badge) and just ... could not seem to register it somehow. Not people I'm meeting just once and then not again for months or years, either, people I would see quite regularly. Worse, sometimes they grab a random name to apply to me. I mean stuff that isn't even close to my name, and sometimes hasn't even shared any letters. And, as I said, this has happened not just once or twice, but (well, it isn't quite, but it feels like it sometimes) continually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert: you don't know me, but OK.
Rob: yes, that's me.
Bob: OK...
Robby: "Yes, Erin..."
Bobby: <Looks around blankly>
Bert: "...who, me?!"
Bertie: Seriously, go away. Now.
Albert: Oh, you ARE deaf....
Richard: No, you're not listening. I get this roughly once per month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
One of my favorite sitcom gag lines:

A: "Hello, I'm Buggle Hogsworth"
B: "That's an unusual name. How do you pronounce it?"
A: "Ummm... Buggle Hogsworth"
B: "Oh, just like it sounds."

(The name wasn't Buggle Hogsworth, but you get the idea.)
(Anybody remember which sitcom it is? Hint: Character B was a supporting character who showed up whenever anybody had to say something stupid. He was replaced partway through with another character who had the same trait.)

Sounds like Coach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.