$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
95 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What's the point in a game table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, the ones where the surface you play the game on is recessed. I can see the point of things like felt topping (to make it easier to pick up cards) and cup holders. I've never actually play at a proper game table (and doubt I'm going to buy one in the foreseeable future since any table has to be dining table first (and must be extendable), but I am interested as to why it's better to have a recessed playing surface.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prevents dice, bits, and cards from rolling/falling off the table.

Also, a lot of tables have a top piece that can cover the recessed area for people who like to play lengthy games in multiple sessions. Say you have a war game that takes a month to play, you can still use the table for dinner and what not between play sessions.
38 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice don't roll off.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brandt
United States
Pikeville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
The path of least resistance is often paved with food.
badge
"The Empire does what is necessary. I am told that razing is an expensive venture. The Empire is smart enough to save where it is able."
mbmbmbmbmb
Because there are 0 chances for the pieces to get knocked off of the table, and you get a slightly better pov.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stothers
msg tools
Dice, and other things that roll, slide, or might fall off a regular table.
A dice tray makes up for a lot of that, but trying to find a black component, under a table, on dark flooring can be a pain, so recesses help a lot.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

GibbRS wrote:
Say you have a war game that takes a month to play, you can still use the table for dinner and what not between play sessions.

Yes, I can see that (even with a game that takes a couple of hours to play if I'm playing with my kids). That could be great sometimes.

Stotherd wrote:
Dice, and other things that roll, slide, or might fall off a regular table.


I suppose there's that. Losing stuff off the table hasn't been that big a problem. We did resort to using an ice cream tub to roll dice in for Catan, but most games I play don't have dice (or the other components don't take up much space so there is enough room to roll the dice).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They're also more comfortable. In videos notice how people rest their arms on the edge. Vasel actually mentions that at 9:33 in this video:

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

I suppose there's that. Losing stuff off the table hasn't been that big a problem. We did resort to using an ice cream tub to roll dice in for Catan, but most games I play don't have dice (or the other components don't take up much space so there is enough room to roll the dice).


I just use a dice tray myself (don't have a recessed gaming table).

For a super cheap dice tray, just buy yourself a felt lined shadow box (about 1 inch deep) from Hobby Lobby or Michael's, and take out the glass. You can usually get them for $5 to $10 based on what sales/coupons are going on at the moment.

If you want a bit less noise from your dice tray, you can buy sheets of sticky backed foam in the craft sections and cut it to the size of the shadow box. Putting some on the bottom and sides will cut down on noise considerably.

I have a couple of them that I put on opposite ends of my table.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Trvth wrote:
and you get a slightly better pov.




How about just sitting higher?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, i don't find the use of "gaming tables".

Dice VERY rarely roll off a regular table (at least in our games), and i have a problem with those tables:
Because of the recess, the table has much more depth. I'm tall, so my knees bang the bottom of the table, making it uncomfortable. I just get my legs squeezed between the chair and the table.

Gimme regular old table anytime.

The cup holders... sure. But then it's stupid easy to add some cup holders to any old regular table...
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
putting a game on hold as mentioned earlier is the biggest reason for me. I don't think comfort has yet to be mentioned. Having a built in arm rest, ability to be looking down at a better angle, being able to reach farther, even having a table built in this way makes it more sturdy so knocking the table won't impact even the most jega like games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deedob wrote:
stevepop wrote:
They're also more comfortable. In videos notice how people rest their arms on the edge. Vasel actually mentions that at 9:33 in this video:




I rest my arms on the edge of the regular table myself...


Imagine sitting higher for a better POV and trying the rest your elbows on the table.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
They're also more comfortable. In videos notice how people rest their arms on the edge.


I think I would find the edge very uncorfortable.

I would see better the pieces by moving, standing up ...


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Someday Asagi will be the main character of her very own game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
stevepop wrote:
They're also more comfortable. In videos notice how people rest their arms on the edge.


I think I would find the edge very uncomfortable.


I'm with you on that. I'm hoping to build a gaming table at some point that has padded arm rests like a fancy poker table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
I'm tall, so my knees bang the bottom of the table, making it uncomfortable. I just get my legs squeezed between the chair and the table.



How tall are you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of having a "topper" part I can put over the main game surface. For me this would be great as I could set up games ahead of time and then protect them from the cats. Or I could pause a solo game and we could still use our table for eating.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grawrold wrote:
deedob wrote:
stevepop wrote:
They're also more comfortable. In videos notice how people rest their arms on the edge. Vasel actually mentions that at 9:33 in this video:




I rest my arms on the edge of the regular table myself...


Imagine sitting higher for a better POV and trying the rest your elbows on the table.


Ya, it doesn't look comfortable at all. If anything, that is the biggest detractor for me. I don't mind the idea of a recessed table, but I would much prefer that recess to only be a about an inch. To me, it looks like those guys have arms that are out of proportion when they are sitting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Personally, i don't find the use of "gaming tables".

Dice VERY rarely roll off a regular table (at least in our games), and i have a problem with those tables:
Because of the recess, the table has much more depth. I'm tall, so my knees bang the bottom of the table, making it uncomfortable. I just get my legs squeezed between the chair and the table.

Gimme regular old table anytime.

The cup holders... sure. But then it's stupid easy to add some cup holders to any old regular table...


Im with you all the way. At 6 foot 5, the recess would be murder.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
deedob wrote:
Personally, i don't find the use of "gaming tables".

Dice VERY rarely roll off a regular table (at least in our games), and i have a problem with those tables:
Because of the recess, the table has much more depth. I'm tall, so my knees bang the bottom of the table, making it uncomfortable. I just get my legs squeezed between the chair and the table.

Gimme regular old table anytime.

The cup holders... sure. But then it's stupid easy to add some cup holders to any old regular table...


Im with you all the way. At 6 foot 5, the recess would be murder.


Not if it's your table, geek chic anyway makes thier tables based on the heights of the players. They will recommend different hieghts based on the purchaser and the people who normally play.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, because they can find that balance between myself at 6 foot 5, and the shortest player at 5 foot 5?

Is he going to sit in a booster chair now?

And for the cost, I can do much much much better.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Use one.

After that, you will wonder the point of playing games on a regular table.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conspicuous consumption.
20 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point in a game table?

To crush your dice, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the meeples!
23 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Also, a lot of tables have a top piece that can cover the recessed area for people who like to play lengthy games in multiple sessions. Say you have a war game that takes a month to play, you can still use the table for other games between play sessions.


FTFY.
18 
 Thumb up
0.27
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
GibbRS wrote:
zabdiel wrote:

I suppose there's that. Losing stuff off the table hasn't been that big a problem. We did resort to using an ice cream tub to roll dice in for Catan, but most games I play don't have dice (or the other components don't take up much space so there is enough room to roll the dice).


I just use a dice tray myself (don't have a recessed gaming table).

For a super cheap dice tray, just buy yourself a felt lined shadow box (about 1 inch deep) from Hobby Lobby or Michael's, and take out the glass. You can usually get them for $5 to $10 based on what sales/coupons are going on at the moment.

If you want a bit less noise from your dice tray, you can buy sheets of sticky backed foam in the craft sections and cut it to the size of the shadow box. Putting some on the bottom and sides will cut down on noise considerably.

I have a couple of them that I put on opposite ends of my table.


I got a wood box from their craft section. It was about $3, felt was $1, and I had cardstock/glue/ribbon (why these... because then I can make a "pull out" felt insert in case it gets damaged/nasty and can change a low-cost $1 part rather than rebuild the whole box - or change color if I decide).

-----------------------------------------

As to the recessed game table and not knocking pieces off the table, I can see that being an issue with some games like Cube Quest or Rampage- errr, I mean Terror in Meeple City (*sigh*).

Also, I much prefer the cheap antique table my mother found for me. It is about 4.5 by 6 feet and has 2 legs in each corner. Rock solid during gameplay, and it holds all my games except one (7 Ages).

In general, I find "gaming table" to be like buying.... um.... bottled water. Bottled water is branded and costs a fortune, but buying a closable and washable container and filling it with tap water is way cheaper. Yeah, that wasn't the example, but I can't remember the one I was going to use - its basically when you are buying the exact same product but in one location (like a beauty store) it costs a fortune and at another (like a gardening store) you get a lot more of the exact same thing. In other words, the word "gaming" added to table is like the Nike swoosh added to some generic Asian made shoe - you are paying more because your buying in a target market that they know is willing to overpay.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.