Subject: Opinions on Playing with Two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Carney
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions about playing Onirim (second edition) , Castellion , and Sylvion with 2 players.

I like co-op games and puzzle-like games, and want to know if this (and the other two in the family) are at least challenging, interesting and sort of fun with two rather than one. I'd love to hear opinions (especially from those who have tried it with a girlfriend/wife). Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvion is probably the best with two players because you use your partners hand as resources to pay for your own cards, so there is definitely a sense of co-op play there. The "Tower Defense" style game-play also helps make it feel tense.

Onirim's 2 player is still pretty good, with each player trying to find their own set of 4 doors out of the total 8. There's not as much player interaction though because each person is just working on their own smaller individual labyrinth, and has a few cards between them that are part of a "shared" hand. You can put cards from your personal hand into this shared hand to allow your partner to use them.

Castellion is my least favorite as a 2 player game, but it's also my least favorite out of the series in general. The 2 player game allows you to "donate" a tile that your drew to your partner, but at the cost of destroying parts of your own castle. Then your partner takes their turn, thus they get to play 2 tiles in a row. This destroying mechanism can also be used strategically to make certain tiles fall into place. The game also tends to work out in a way that you each take turns completing the 3 levels, so one person ends up donating their best resources to the other person. That makes it less co-op and more "main player and their helper."

However, I think the best part of that 1 or 2 player count is that you can still player them even if your SO won't join you. I usually play them solo and have gotten my wife to join me occasionally. The 2 player count also made me feel less guilty about buying a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carney
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I appreciate the comments, Shinako! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urbion is my favorite Oniverse game for two. It turns into a pretty intense strategy game with two. Onirim is excellent with two because you have to manage threats and a shared card pool together. I do not care for Sylvion or Castellion at all with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Urbion is my favorite Oniverse game for two. It turns into a pretty intense strategy game with two. Onirim is excellent with two because you have to manage threats and a shared card pool together. I do not care for Sylvion or Castellion at all with two.

I wish they would reprint Urbion so I could get a copy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinako wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

I read somewhere that this is planned! Urbion needs the 2nd Edition treatment, if only to fix the card graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
Shinako wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

I read somewhere that this is planned! Urbion needs the 2nd Edition treatment, if only to fix the card graphics.

Shadi has said the third.edition is going to start pre-production after Nautilion ships. Hopefully soon! I love that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Shinako wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

Shadi has said the third.edition is going to start pre-production after Nautilion ships. Hopefully soon! I love that game.

That sounds great. Did he reveal anything else? Do you have a link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
Shinako wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

That sounds great. Did he reveal anything else? Do you have a link?

Not right in front of me but he's been saying it for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

OK, what I've heard previously was that it might happen at some indeterminate time in the future.

At Essen this year I heard a rumor that the Asmodee acquisition of Z-Man might prevent it from happening. I muss stress the word "rumor" in that sentence and I really hope that it's wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

OK, what I've heard previously was that it might happen at some indeterminate time in the future.

At Essen this year I heard a rumor that the Asmodee acquisition of Z-Man might prevent it from happening. I muss stress the word "rumor" in that sentence and I really hope that it's wrong.

Urbion still isn't part of the Oniverse line so I wouldn't be surprised that they didn't reprint it. Which would be a shame.
Yet again, is it different enough from Onirim to warrant a reprint?
I own the game but have never played it again once I finally got to win a game. And I can't tell you why, really. It's just that I'm drawn to Onirim and Sylvion much more than Urbion and Castellion. That, and the fact that damn, it's hard!

As for the OP's question, I've only played Sylvion as a two-player game, and only the intro game, but I really enjoyed it. My SO doesn't like it and wouldn't play it, but I found that the hand managemed not being yours but your partner is a very interesting twist. It leads to a lot of tabletalk before you do anything, and to difficult decision-making.
As with other Oniverse games, I also find that it makes the game more difficult. You're playing with two hands, sure, but they're smaller, which means that you cannot discard as many cards as you wish you could, and most of the time, it will be good cards you have to discard. Plus hedgehogs are always in the wrong hand when you need them!
Overall, in contrast with a one-player game where you can answer the way you want and can each turn, in a two-player game, you can only answer threats every other turn, which can be lethal if you're the one holding the needed cards.

Less control over what happens can lead to more frustrating and random games. But I like it nonetheless, and found it very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

However considering that the game is fully designed and only.requires minor artwork tweaks might actually make it a financially lucrative opportunity for them rather than a hindrance. Time shall tell.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.