Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: No People of Color? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gosselin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Could Fantasy Flight get anymore racist? Not one Black/Chinese/Japanese/Muslim/Indian investigator? Really? Sorry, I won't be buying this game. I refuse to support a racist game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
The first expansion include a black Guy. I seriously hope you are joking however..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do sympathize that the core set is all white people. Jim Culver is in the first expansion. Unfortunately he's the only one announced. There are other people of color in the Arkham Files universe like Minh Thi Phan, Lily Chen and Akachi Onyele. It's not the most inclusive setting when it comes to race. At least gender-wise there is equal representation. That said FFG has a very good spread of characters in their Android universe so I don't think it's them being racist so much as them playing to the setting which is New England 100 years ago, which wasn't the most diverse place. It's easier to do that in New Angeles as a setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AarontheGamer wrote:
Could Fantasy Flight get anymore racist? Not one Black/Chinese/Japanese/Muslim/Indian investigator? Really? Sorry, I won't be buying this game. I refuse to support a racist game.

Well, just don't look into HP Lovecraft's stance on race....

Given the characters that AH has supported in the past, I have no reservations that many of the above will be represented. Pretty diverse for the time period and the subject matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just going to point out that the source material also wasn't all that progressive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AarontheGamer wrote:

#AllSafeSpacesMatter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Trang
United States
California
flag msg tools
As a minority also I do sympathize somewhat but you are nitpicking. There is an South Asian/Middle Eastern ally in Arkham Horror the board game, Dr. Ali Kafour.

I would like to see an Asian male investigator eventually though. I know we have Lily Chen and Minh Thi Phan already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's hope this doesn't start another Lovecraft racist thread.
As for the OP comments. Don't buy the game. Enjoy your protest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Coming from Netrunner, I have to say that the diversity in the product does not make me think FFG is a racist company at all. The variety comes not only from races, but sexual identity and morals. I like the fact that a runner works for the multinationals, that not all multinationals are bad and there is even a racist runner.

And in the expansion there is also Zoe Samaras, Greek immigrant in the US, so another minority there.

I really think we will not be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
Just play the freaking game.....so annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kime
United Kingdom
Brimfield
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FFG is not a "racist" company. It's a ridiculous accusation that boarders on trolling. If the OP is really 'offended' why not write to the CEO of FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kimeys wrote:
FFG is not a "racist" company. It's a ridiculous accusation that boarders on trolling. If the OP is really 'offended' why not write to the CEO of FFG?

I obviously did not mean that at all. I should put my foot where my keyboard is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich bran
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Somebody needs some play-doh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AarontheGamer wrote:

Hey Aaron, I'm glad you care about these issues because they are an issue in gaming (and of course amplified by recent events). I'm with you on wanting inclusive gaming.

But I think you went a bit too far with your comment about FFG being racist, and I think they should get some credit actually, let me explain.

First (as was mentioned above) Lovecraft himself was racist. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't read his work. You can appreciate the art and despise the artist. (One of my favorite authors, Dostoevsky, had very questionable views at best, but his novels are amazing.) I think FFG has pretty well scrubbed Lovecraft of the racism but kept the human psychology of the source material (which transcends race).

Second, the setting is 1920's new england, so pretty white. Eventually the stories branch out to a world stage, where FFG has more latitude to increase inclusivity. So give FFG a bit of a break on trying to deal with source material that is both amazing AND somewhat problematic. By comparison, Lord of the Rings is VERY white because of what Tolkien was doing (creating a fictional group of legends similar to Beowulf etc.). So throwing in a lot of racial diversity would clash with the source material (for better or worse). I'm not saying they *shouldn't* add minorities in order to be faithful to the material, I'm just saying that there is an artistic line they need to walk to make the universe feel authentic.

Last, FFG should get a lot of credit for their depiction of women. The women in the Arkham universe (although mostly white) are depicted like real people and not in an exploitative way (see Conan... where women are simply sex objects, or Istanbul where, apparently, women don't exist). They have done a great job including women in Lord of the Rings the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's disappointing that there aren't any main investigators of color in the core set, though it's great they're coming in the expansion. We can point that out while still enjoying the product.

Also, the settings may be 1920's New England but it's a fantasy 1920's england full of werewolves, ghouls, monsters, and literal magic spells. Historical accuracy doesn't hold much weight there...

On the whole though, FFG is very good about diversity (see: Netrunner) and I don't expect the disparity to last long. There are many Arkham investigators that we'll be getting soon. Yes, it'd be great if there were more in the core set (besides the presumably Native American woman asset) but I wouldn't go so far as to call the company or game racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
It's disappointing that there aren't any main investigators of color in the core set, though it's great they're coming in the expansion. We can point that out while still enjoying the product.

I don't think that's why people are annoyed. It's the labeling an entire company as "racist" due to the core set not having any "people of color".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneeberger
msg tools
It's a new profile, he seems to imply "Muslim" is a race, and the post is brief, utterly belligerent, and the op never returned. At best he is a troll. At worst he is trying to give people who make these criticisms in other contexts bad names. Everyone, move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, H.P. Lovecraft was quite racist. It would be thematically appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These crazy BGG NEWUSERs... amirite? Coming on here like, "I own one game and I'm so opinionated."

Shmeh, come back to the big kids table when your collection reaches double digits ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"Because the ultimate purpose of crime is to establish the endless empire of crime."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ordinarily agree with the OP. In fact I do, at least with the letter of what he's saying.

But there's something fishy about the new user account, the fact that he has no substantive argument, and that he hasn't been back to defend his argument.

If he's not a cheeto-eating, alt-right zit-farmer setting up a false flag to piss people off, I'll eat my hat*. He can come back and recount his ongoing struggle to defend the rights of people of color (which are currently, actually, under attack by Cthulhu) if he wants to.

*I'm not actually going to eat my hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of whether the OP is a "troll" or not. There is a discussion to be had that many feel is important.

It is wrong for those on the right to say liberals are all being too sensitive for pointing out some of these issues like some of the comments above imply. Liberals have an argument to make that centers around justice.

It is wrong for those on the left to say conservatives are a bunch of hate filled racists as some comments imply. Conservatives have an argument to make that centers around liberty.

Lets talk. Calm the flame war. People are not 2-dimensional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:

Also, the settings may be 1920's New England but it's a fantasy 1920's england full of werewolves, ghouls, monsters, and literal magic spells. Historical accuracy doesn't hold much weight there...

Fair point indeed. But I don't think the white people are there for only historical accuracy. A big part of the theme in Lovecraft is that these horrors come out of nowhere amid a very realistic, quaint, banal, reality. The horrors are contrasted by the real in a very intentional way. As if I could walk my dog in the park this evening and unintentionally open some gate to the other world behind some tree that I have passed by hundreds of times. So setting the game in 1920's small town Arkham initially means that, if you want to enhance the realism part, you are likely going to have more (all?) white people in the story. If you tried to do the same psychological theme set in China, all of the characters would likely be Chinese living a very ordinary life in a small Chinese town. As the story turns more global (Mountains of Madness for example) then incorporating more diversity feels easier to pull off even if it wasn't there in Lovecraft.

I'm just saying there are artistic choices here that are separate from historical accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream // Benny Carter - The King // Charles McPherson - Manhattan Nocturne // Art Pepper - Smack Up // Dudu Pukwana - In The Townships
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anaturalharmonic wrote:
By comparison, Lord of the Rings is VERY white because of what Tolkien was doing (creating a fictional group of legends similar to Beowulf etc.). So throwing in a lot of racial diversity would clash with the source material (for better or worse).

Odd take when you consider how many different races are represented (hobbits, elves, ents, dwarves, goblins, trolls, etc.). The millieu is clearly an extension of European myth, but I don't see anything amiss there.

I wouldn't criticize stories based on Chinese folklore for failure to include non-Asians, nor a game based on Native American folklore for failure to include other races. I am sensitive to racism - my own family is multiracial - but one has to keep things in perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Is theme or being politically correct more important in a game?

If a game rubs you the wrong way do not buy it. But I really hope that when designing a game the designers are not forced into doing a checklist.

1) Is there an equal number of male and female characters?
2) Is there one character of every age group?
3) Is there a character of every nationality?
4) Are there any elements of the game that might "trigger" a community?

If a designer wanted to do the above, then great and there are games that benefit from this kind of thinking. I love fighting games and these are the best kind for representing a lot of different ideas and people. Personally in board games I want theme first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pontiff
United States
Houma
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope this OP isn't that serious? Don't get me started on politically correctness. Just because a game does not have other various ethnicities does not make a company "racist". So tired of everyone throwing that word around lately. We definitely don't need that kind of crap in a board game forum. #rantover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.