Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross posting here to get some discussion/thoughts going

So I wanted to make a some what goofy some what serious post rating each characters Sweep. Sweep is one of the best cards in the game and different characters can do different stuff with it. Now since Sweep is such a good move even the worst Sweep is still a good card. Here is the rating system:

So Clean (the best)
Clean
Acceptable
Dingy (the worst or something bad happens that makes it below average or their kit covers the same area as Sweep making it less important)

Reese - That high power 6 makes it easier to get the stun to utilize his UA. For this reason Reese's Sweep is CLEAN.

Heidi - Nothing special about her Sweep. She does make using the boost slightly more attractive (which could be a bad thing) but she still only gets ACCEPTABLE for her Sweep.

Nehtali - Nothing special or different. If Sweep goes to the opponent's discard she can get it into their Gauge which is good in the right mu or if they're about to reshuffle. However her own Sweep is still only ACCEPTABLE.

Vincent - The President of America (this is the only lore I know) doesn't need to Sweep. His kit has ample amounts of armor, guard, and ignore guard. He don't need to Sweep. Vincent's Sweep is DINGY.

Alice - At ranges 1-2 Alice's Sweep is just like all the others. At range 3 her Sweep is hitting for a monstrous 8 damage. SO CLEAN. But, I'm only giving her a final score of CLEAN because of it being only ACCEPTABLE at ranges 1-2 (and she will probably have to use it at these ranges often).

Zoey - Are you kidding me Zoey? Infinite Sweeps? SO CLEAN. nuff said.

Ulrik - He can use his UA to get into Sweep range but then is also in range of the opponents Sweep. ACCEPTABLE.

Gabrek - At range 2-3 his Sweep is just like every one else's but at range 1 he'll be drawing a card while the opponent will be losing a card. CLEAN

Lily - a range 1-4 Sweep possibly 1-5. The madness. Lily is SO CLEAN

Miska - She's got a buddy that helps her Sweep. Threatening Sweep from two different locations is good but expensive. Her Sweep in normal mode is just ACCEPTABLE. However, when she goes EXCEED her Sweep easily rockets up to SO CLEAN.

Eva - If there's one good thing to say about Eva it's that she can get a little bit more mileage out of Sweep then some. Light is a good Boost. Unfortunately it is on a really good attack. Thanks to her UA Eva is a character that can make good use of both the Boost and the attack on the card (just don't get stunned if you lose priority). That's why I'm giving the unfortunate robot girl a rating of CLEAN on her Sweep.

Kaden - If Sweep is an A+ tier attack then EX Sweep would be S tier if it didn't take up both of your Sweeps. Luckily for Kaden this is very true. He has so many ways to get his Sweeps back (Dark Tide Summon, Silence, Double Charge Executioner, and Recall) that he can choose to use them either standard or EX and get a ton of mileage out of them either way. And the great thing about EX Sweep is it beats Sweep clean (EXCEED EX Sweep for 9 damage!!). Now that is SO CLEAN.

Satoshi - His Sweep is conditionally SO CLEAN. Unfortunately, it is a condition the opponent can and will want to play around (it's not like most characters wont want a lot of cards vs him). The threat is still there and it is definitely possible to get that additional damage so Satoshi gets a rating of CLEAN on his Sweeps.

Mei Lien - another conditional character. Mei Lien's first Sweep his ACCEPTABLE her second is SO CLEAN I'll average that out and give her Sweep a rating of CLEAN. However, She can get additional Sweeps using Tempestuous and Lighting Strikes Twice so her Sweeps do have the potential to be SO CLEAN if you want to play for them.

Bealkhor - There's probably a good chance Bealkhor is going to want to banish both copies of the opponents Sweep before they play them. This requires banishing one of your own Sweeps. With only one copy of Sweep in the game things are going to get DINGY. Or does giving him a monopoly on Sweeps make him CLEAN? is it worth it to give yourself only one Sweep if that attack potentially hits for 9 damage at speed 3? Maybe that's SO CLEAN levels of good? However, he does have the chance to blow up his own Sweeps with Endless Power. Put this all together and I'm going to say his Sweeps are DINGY but then for that trade off he makes his opponent's Sweeps non-existent (worse then DINGY).

Morathi - He's got an attack that makes Sweep look okay. Any time you'd want to play Sweep just play Revenger instead. This makes Morathi's Sweeps DINGY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea, lets see.

Reece
You can still stun when you go second, so Sweep compliments Reece's ability nicely. Opportunist allows for some shenanigans with Sweeps large range, also Backstep and Lunge can allow for some cool range 5 Sweeps after move. Mixup with Sweep to make your opponent discard two cards total.
Decision: So Clean.

Heidi
No compliment from Heidi's ability. Panzer Soldatin and Boundless give her a super Sweep, which is good with its large range to make sure she hits. Sturmwaffe allows her to be tricky by opening the range to 3 and then beating out the opponents Spike or even Dive if she declares the Strike. Iron Grit means her Sweep cannot be stopped, only evaded.
Decision: Clean.

Vincent
Does not benefit from his ability much because it already has lots of Guard. Rushdown can provide some fun options at range 5 or less. Otherwise Vincent's other boosts do not really add much to Sweep. One note is that Vincent does not have to spend resources for Sweep's Guard, which he normally has to for his other tricks, so no Dingy for me.
Decision: Acceptable

Nehtali
Does not benefit from her ability. Swift Destruction allows you to supercharge Sweep, beating out Sweep's hard counters Spike and Dive. Divine Harvester and Clutch of Evil help with using Sweep at range 3 where it is strongest.
Decision: Acceptable.

Eva
Can have her cake and eat it too. Play your Light boost for bonus speed, then return it to your hand using her effect and Sweep them later. Also helps use her effect as it is an After, meaning if she is stunned she cannot return a Boost to her hand. Sweep has lots of Guard so is good. Emergent Technology gives you a Range 4 Sweep, which will beat both Spike and Dive. Otherwise all other stat increases are good for Sweep.

Kaden
EX Sweep is nice. Silence to take back all copies of Sweep for another EX Sweep is nice. Recall to return a Sweep you just used is nice. Secret Weapon to find Sweep and put it in your hand is nice. Chain Extension for a range 5 Sweep is nice. I think I just worked out how to win lots with Kaden.

Miska
Bear doing Sweep means your opponent cannot hide. Range wherever-I-want and high stun guard is pretty good. Priority Requisition for a Sweep, then Strike before the opponent can react. Brilliant Tactician for more crazy high speed Sweep attacks that defeat Spike and Dive. ACrobatics around the board so you are safe at range but Bear can still Sweep them. Or plan A Helping Hand to get a super Sweep.
Decision: Clean to So Clean.

Lily
Lots of range on Sweep all the time. Ouch. Muzzle Flash to keep them at long range. Taking Aim to hit from one end of the board to the other. Just Keep Shooting to make sure you get it when you need it. Somersault to keep them at that crazy range. Nasty nasty nasty.

Baelkhor
Seal one copy of your opponents Sweep (or yours if you have to). Then go into Exceed. Sweep with 9 Power is monstrous. Then add on Dark Insight, Face of Fear or Change of Strategy. Baelkhor is a monster. Use Apocalypse Seal to seal one Sweep from your hand, then seal both of your opponents Sweep no matter where they are. This reduces every other character to Dingy for Sweep.

Morathi
Nothing like a Wild Swing into Sweep. Casting Bones, Crushing Might and Power Overwhelming help with getting a super Sweep. But Morathi's wild nature can make it hard to use Sweep when you want to.

Mei Lien
Bonus range and power on Sweep from her ability is awesome. Lightning Strikes Twice allows her to use her Sweep multiple times. Gale Extension allows for surprise range 4 Sweeps. Tempestuous allows for putting your used Sweeps back into your deck multiple times. Use Tailwind to rush from range 5 or more with a Sweep. Pretty good.

Satoshi
Sweep's discard effect is awesome with Satoshi's ability. You could possibly have a 10 Power Sweep if Satoshi is in Exceed mode. Second Strike combines well with Sweep's Guard to make sure the After effect gives Satoshi Advantage. While all other Boosts and effects equally effect Sweep, the fact it maintains Satoshi's high powered beatdown makes it a must.

Gabrek
Oddly enough, not that great. Reach is nice when your opponent is keeping at range. Monstrous Strength gives you a massive 9 Power Sweep before the opponent can react. But Gabrek has lots of tools for making things happen at Range 1 and this is Sweep's weakest range.
Decision: Dingy to Acceptable.

Ulrik
His ability allows you to make the most of Sweep's range all the time. Speed Force gives a bonus to Speed and allows again to get to a great range. Thunderclap from a long range into Sweep can be massive damage. Overcharge, Thunderous Might and Charging Power can also boost damage a lot. But the funny thing is that all of the above is more useful on faster attacks. Ulrik is all about being fast and powerful, Sweep just doesn't fit as well here as with other characters.

Alice
If you know Alice, you already know the answer.
If you do not, at Range 3 she gets +2 Power. In Exceed opponents attacks miss at Range 3 or more. Backflip to Range 3 for Sweep. Hunter's Instinct for Range 4 and Sweep. Soul Eye - Diabolic to pin the opponent at Range 3 for Sweep. Bullet Time if not in Exceed yet to get immunity on Sweep. Soul Eye - Divine to get rid of anti-Sweep cards in your opponents hand then Strike with Sweep. Try Me If You Dare to make the opponent crap themselves at the possibility of Range 3 Sweep to get a bunch of cards. Alice and Sweep were meant for each other.
Decision: So Clean to Cleanest Ever!

Zoey
Can re-use Sweep over and over again, forcing the opponent to discard multiple times. Use Sweep's Guard to make sure Rejuvenation activates to give you life back. Use Focused for a super Sweep. However, Zoey has lots of good options for Strike and sometimes Sweep is second fiddle.

Super Skull Man
A Wild Swing into Sweep for Exceed mode Skull Man is huge. Lucky Dodge gives Sweep functionality at range 2. Hold It, Villain gives you a Range 4 Sweep. This Is Just Like That Issue... and Quick Change make it easier to Wild Swing into Sweep. But same as Morathi, being so wild makes it hard to plan for Sweep.
Decision: Acceptable to Clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I posted my thoughts without reading yours. I had considered the value of Sweep compared with each characters ability and boosts. But after reading your descriptions I realised I did not really compare with their other available attacks. I think I only did this for Zoey. It is a good exercise as it makes us think about how each characters effects combine in a narrow scope. Good fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
Ok I posted my thoughts without reading yours. I had considered the value of Sweep compared with each characters ability and boosts. But after reading your descriptions I realised I did not really compare with their other available attacks. I think I only did this for Zoey. It is a good exercise as it makes us think about how each characters effects combine in a narrow scope. Good fun.

No I think you had it and I like your analysis. It is interesting to see places were we think alike and sometimes come to different conclusions. And to see places were we disagree. Fun stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.