Subject: The drive-thru of shame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people bad-mouth fast food, and for many of them McDonald's is at the top of their list.
But they're still in business, and seemingly always busy, so someone has got to be going there.
In fact, they are likely going to be providing "table service" to patrons who eat-in, now, after a test proved that customers liked that better than waiting in line to pick-up your meal.

Are you ashamed to admit that you actually like McDonald's, because so many people have a bad opinion of it?
Or do you not care what other people think? (good for you!)
Do you have a dirty little secret, where you'll go to a McDonald's drive- thru (or any fast food, for that matter) because you'd rather not be seen inside, in person, by other people? Or do you only use the drive-thru for "convenience"?

I've seen people leaving a drive-thru lane driving away looking guilty for stopping there.

My first job, when I was still in High School, was at a McDonald's.
I think that the quality has slipped over the years-- big time-- but I don't mind an occasional Big Mac if the mood strikes me.
It hasn't struck me in three years, mind you, but I wouldn't say no if you offered.
The fries are far inferior than when they used to use big blocks of melted lard/ tallow to fry them in, but-- other than too much salt-- they aren't terrible these days.

Poll
1. Which statement best describe your views on McDonald's?
Absolute garbage. You wouldn't catch me dead there.
Really bad. Why would I bother?
I used to enjoy them, but not any more.
I don't mind them, but there are better choices so I usually ignore them.
Only for breakfast. Never for lunch/ dinner.
I'd probably go there more often but I feel almost shameful about doing that.
For what they offer and the prices that they charge, they are a viable option for me/ my family.
I rather like most of the food there, so I'll admit it to anyone.
I have no problem with McDonald's, and I'll defend them against anyone who wants to argue.
2. When arriving at a McDonald's, or other fast food place...
I always use the drive-thru
I usually use the drive-thru
I rarely use the drive-thru
I never use the drive-thru
      115 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
I dunno. What do you see there?
mbmbmb
First on, so I guess I'll own up to my choices. I'm pushing 50, so who didn't go to McRatMeat when they were young (in my age group)?

Nowadays just going past on my bicycle, I picture the blobs of grease floating in the fryer, and disgust myself enough never to go. More and more people enjoy cheap food, without thought of why is so effing cheap. Loads of fat and undernourished people still in Canada and the US, and there's still really no such thing as a Curry in a Hurry on the roadside for travellers.

These days I stop for pitas and sandwiches, and don't ask too many questions about why even that stuff is so cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had my first McDonald's food in 10 or 20 years, I was amazed by how awful it tasted. Really unpleasant to eat. I loved it as a kid, so I couldn't believe how bad it was. Even the fries were really blah tasting. So no, I do not eat at McDonald's any more.

And while yours may be busy, they have been having year after year declines in sales, so fewer people are going there than in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I treat myself to fast food ~once a month by myself on game night. There are plenty of better burger+shake places in my area that I go to a few times a year with friends or family. I'm not proud of going to fast food - I hope not to find coworkers or neighbors there - but I'll go to the ones in town and eat in the dining room. I'd rather be caught in McD's than the game store or buying a magazine of pencil puzzles.

Best fast food round here is Burgerville, but they aren't always fast, so I usually hit BK or McDs; McDs has better burgers than BK but far worse frieds. I used to do Wendy's but they dropped shakes and the Frosty doesn't cut it. Worst part of fast food for me is that I'm really anti-HFCS and I know I'm ingesting a bucketful there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always disliked McDonalds, even as a kid. Their burgers just had a bad taste to me. Plus, back then, it took an act of Congress to get them to change what was on a burger (which was why Burger King's "have it your way" campaign was so successful). I continue to avoid it to this day, although if everyone else is getting something from them, I can get by with a chicken sandwich or something.

I don't eat much fast food in general--if I'm going to have that much fat and sodium in a meal, I'm going to want something that tastes better than that. But it is cheap and convenient, so we wind up going to one about once a month or so. However, I'll always opt for BK or Wendy's over Mickey D's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked there for a while, and went to the local chippy for lunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of McDonalds anymore. I've had too much food with mystery objects in it from there to consider it food anymore.

Speaking to the comment about it taking an act of congress to get something made your way...I kid you not, I once went to a McDonald's and asked for a cheeseburger. The reply. We're out of cheeseburgers, but you can get a double cheeseburger...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids love the happy meals, so that's the only reason I stop there. I rarely get anything for myself and I only get the kids their happy meals once a week (or less). There are many burger and fry (and frozen custard) places around here that are tastier if I'm going to eat a bunch of calories.I don't mind McD's food, but I'm a very unpicky eater (seriously there are very few foods I will turn down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ate there, and many other fast food chains when I was working a 60-70 hour workweek. My health suffered quite a bit. When I retired I vowed to never eat there, or any other fast-food chain again. Since then I lost 30+ Lbs. and feel much better. Luckily, if I'm caught out and about when I'm hungry, there are many great places to get a quick, good meal, so I'm not forced to either go hungry or eat McCrap®.

As to question #2; when I did eat there the line inside was usually shorter and quicker than the "lunch-hour rush" queue in the drive-through, so rarely used the drive-thru
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For question #1, I voted "I used to enjoy them, but not any more." I still enjoy the food about as much as I did when i was younger, but I find it too expensive for what it is. Maybe if they had more "value meal" options here, like I've seen in the US, I'd eat there more, but for $5+ a sandwich I can find better options.

For question #2, I prefer going in-store over the drive-thru mostly for environmental concerns. Similar to cooler king's post above, the drive-thrus around here are very full at peak hours (you should see Tim's at 8am!) and I don't see the need for wasting gas like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Shame.

Shame.

Shame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are two side benefits - and, honestly, they may actually be my primary motivators - to eating fast food. One is that I tend towards food snobbery, and eating fast food keeps me humble, hangin' with the peepz. The other is that my wife would greatly disapprove if she knew, so it's my secret way of pulling one past her and maintaining my independence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family was too poor to afford McDonald's.

Then I found out that I'm apparently very allergic to wheat/gluten so pretty much all I can have from McD's are the beverages (which was great in grad school, a gallon of caffeine for $1.)

Chick fil a on the other hand has gluten free stuff.... and yes I do take the drive thru of shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind McDonalds. If I'm going for fast food (which I admit I do fairly often, certainly more than is good for me) I have other choices I prefer more, but McDonalds is fine.

Actually, it's a staple of my road trips. It's easy for me to eat in the car, so I can keep moving and minimize time on long trips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I get McDonald's food about once a month, mostly out of convenience (usually if my wife won't be home in time to cook dinner and I happen to drive past a McDonald's on my way home). I don't mind an occasional Big Mac or Quarter Pounder with Cheese. But I swear there is much more gristle in the meat than there was years ago. On two occasions (not recently . . . probably 15 or 20 years ago) I found a bone in a Filet o' Fish sandwich.

I worked at McDonald's for about 2 months when I was 18. I only worked about 12 - 16 hours/week, but the smell of the food as I stood over the grill made me unable to eat there for about a year after I quit the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not fed McDonald's as a child. My first experience at McDonald's was as a teenager, I was out with friends and they chose to eat there. It was awful, I have never been even remotely tempted to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked there as a teen in the kitchen. The food was not real food, except for the breakfast...back then.

Light pink frozen "beef" patties? That is not meat and almost pure fat. After seeing Supersize Me and reading Fast Food Nation, I steer clear of burgers in general, and McDonald's specifically.

I've never liked the tasted of BK or Wendy's burgers either. If I have to eat a fast food option, I prefer a sub sandwich, but not Subway...that's also barely edible.

Chick-Fil-A makes a passable wrap.

We eat whole foods and try to cook all our meals and eat healthy. My stomach would probably revolt if I ate a fast food burger.

gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider McDonald's food to be delicious, but it's rarely unappetizing, and serves a reliably familiar experience at a decent price in calories per dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the drive-through for the convenience and comfort of eating at home in a few minutes. I've never given a thought to anyone seeing me. And any place that is problematic for that quick trip home means we sit down inside.

I've got my favorites at all the fast food places and I'll eat 'em with no worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

I've seen people leaving a drive-thru lane driving away looking guilty for stopping there.

Why are you watching other people and how do you determine they look guilty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now a Chik-Fil-A, Steak & Shake and PDQ family.
My parents are still Mickey D fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"One major sign of the decline of Western civilization is the devaluation of 'family jewels' to mere 'junk'."
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
For fast-food places in general, I almost never use the drive-thru if I can help it. Even if I'm in a hurry, I prefer to go inside and get the food to go, so I can quickly inspect the bag and drink(s) for errors, and get them corrected on the spot. I've had multiple instances of using the drive-thru and getting home or a couple miles down the road to discover that something was left out or there was an incorrect item, and once I even got someone else's order. So now I always go inside if I can. The lack of aggravation more than offsets the small loss of time.

As for McDonald's specifically, I don't mind the food there. It's no better or worse than any other fast food. However, when I am on a road trip, I always stop there for bio breaks because the bathrooms are almost always sparkling clean. Not every time, but nearly.

Also, they have (for me) the perfect meal to eat on the road: The two-cheeseburger combo. Their regular cheeseburger doesn't have all that "stuff" (lettuce, tomato, onion, etc.) that can fall out if you only hold it with one hand. If you have to eat while you drive, the McDonald's cheeseburger is the way to go. I can put my drink in one cupholder, the fries in another one, lay a napkin across one leg, and fish the burgers out of the sack. All while keeping a hand on the wheel and my eyes (mostly) on the road.

(But I still miss the original cooked-in-lard fries. McDonald's still have the best fries in the business, but they're not quite as good as they used to be.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
angry S-C-R-E-W `em! OPEN "Wendy's" GD-FINALLY! awaits... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.