Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions from a new player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I like the concept of the game, being a bit similar to that of the Lord of the Rings LCG. But allthough there are less phases in a round (4, compared to 7 in Lord of the Rings), I feel that Lord of the Rings was simpler to understand to me after studying the rules and seeing a demonstration of both games. The iconography in Lord of the Rings is clearer to me and there are less icons as well.
Well, there are more keywords, but that's because it already has so many expansions. And the rules aren't written in FFG's new style and don't have an index. That has been developped in Arkham Horror LCG positively.

I still didn't get these rules on several points after reading the rules. Maybe I just missed some things, or I'm just not sure about what the interpretation of a rule is. I hope that I'm not asking really stupid questions. On the other hand, someone once told me there is no such thing as a stupid question if there is something you don't understand.

My questions:
1. I went to the Dutch Game Spectacle, at which this game was demonstrated. They man that did this demo told me that an enemy would attack immediately after I draw it if it has stamina and sanity icons on it. However, when I read the rules, I couldn't find that part of the explanation about enemies anywhere.
a. Is this even true? I'm guessing it is not, so the guy would have understood this wrong himself.
b. As I understand, enemies are usually drawn in the Mythos phase of a round. If what the man said is true, is there an effect that makes me draw an encounter card, which is an enemy in this case, in a phase other than the Mythos phase? If that is possible, can it be that such an attack of an enemy, like this guy described, is only happening if I draw an enemy outside of the Mythos phase?

2. I think I understand how regular enemy attacks work. They just hit you by dealing the damage indicated by the stamina and sanity icons, right? The rules also mention the enemy's "attacks of oppertunity".
a. Does this kind of attack work exactly the same way as a regular enemy attack in the Enemy phase?
b. As I understand, an attack of oppertunity happens in the Investigation phase, but I'm not sure. How, when and how many times is it triggered?
- Is it triggered every time you either don't take a Fight or Evade action, or don't active a Parlay or Resign ability, or
- is it triggered once if you didn't take the actions or activated the abilities above at least once, or
- does it work differently from above?

3. To me the rules were a bit confusing about phrases like "nearest location" and some other things similar to this. On a board, this would be clear to me, but cards usually don't have a "distance" to a character. Let's say I'm playing a 2 player game and both investigators are at a different location, how can I determine what the nearest or farthest location is to an enemy when I draw the enemy card that instructs me to travel to such a location?

As I said, all these question may sound pretty stupid, but I just didn't get it right away. And besides, allthough my English is good enough to understand most things, it's not my native language. Furthermore, FFG has a talent for explaining rules in a way that still makes them complicated to understand, even if they use a separate rules reference. So, I'm hoping that someone can help me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not stupid questions. Enemies attack during the Enemy phase, which is after the investigation phase is over and before the refresh phase at the end of the round.

It is possible for a game effect to have you draw an encounter card outside of the mythos phase. For example the act or agenda deck can have you draw encounter cards. Also Drawn To The Flames has you draw an encounter card. Normally you draw encounter cards during the mythos phase, which happens before the investigation phase. therefore you normally have time to deal with them before they attack you.

Unless otherwise stated the enemy attacks you once a round during the enemy phase if he is ready and engaged with your investigator.

Attack of Opportunities happen every time you use an action that does not initiate the following game mechanisms: fight, evade, resign or parley.

That means if I use an action to fight or if I use the event Backstab to fight or if I use the action on my .45 automatic to fight all those instances do not trigger an attack of opportunity.

For nearest location count the number of move actions it would take to get to each location. The one that takes the fewest move actions is the nearest. Which investigator you measure from depends on who drew the card. If several locations are tied for nearest the lead investigator usually makes the decision.

*edited for some clarification*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite possibly what the demo guy meant was enemies engage, rather than attack, as soon as they are drawn, which would be true except for enemies with the Aloof keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Timbar wrote:
Quite possibly what the demo guy meant was enemies engage, rather than attack, as soon as they are drawn, which would be true except for enemies with the Aloof keyword.

He actually said the enemy would attack right away when it's drawn, if it has stamina and sanity icons right above the picture. I already thought it was strange, because I believe that every enemy has such icons.

So actually the demo guy explained it incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
As a total aside, the game's only been out like a week so technically speaking, we are ALL new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.