Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

When my character, say a Spellweaver, is standing right next to a enemy and uses a action with the 'ranged' statistic, does he/she get disadvantage when attacking said adjacent enemy?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. You can shoot your bow at someone who is standing right in front of you.

I would think if something like this existed, there would be text on the card or the little Hex picture would make it obvious that you can't use it on adjacent enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook p.19 wrote:
Any ranged attack targeting an adjacent enemy gains Disadvantage against that target
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I would think if something like this existed, there would be text on the card or the little Hex picture would make it obvious that you can't use it on adjacent enemies.

Whether you can use it and whether you have Disadvantage are two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not say that, but in some games if you use a ranged weapon and stand adjacent to an enemy you have a malus no matter what is the target of your attack. In Gloomhaven only your target counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stk mx
United States
Elburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
Hi!

When my character, say a Spellweaver, is standing right next to a enemy and uses a action with the 'ranged' statistic, does he/she get disadvantage when attacking said adjacent enemy?

Thanks!

Yes, your Spellweaver would gain the effects of disadvantage, as any range attack targeting an adjacent enemy would.

This is in the rules on page 21. See the last sentence before the AREA EFFECTS section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you would have disadvantage. Keep in mind that any attack ability that specifies a range is considered a ranged attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, I was wondering if there was any talk during playtesting where melee hits would me listed as a range of 1 instead of a dash. I know that is isn't that important and is more of a "UI" comment, but wouldn't that make things regarding melee / range more uniform?

That way a melee polearm (if there is) would have a melee range of 2, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.