Popular Tags: Group_Game [+] [View All]
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the last seven years I have run a youth camp with up to 60 kids aged 15-17 participating. The weekend is about their development and we look at problem solving, teamwork, decision making, personalities etc.

This year we had 44 and I tried a variation of Incan Gold. I called it Treasure Mine.

The weekend sees the kids split into eight groups that they do everything with. At several times four of the groups do one thing and four of the groups do another. I tried Incan Gold with a group of the four groups and they loved it.

Here is how it worked. The brief was that the group that got the most treasure out of the mine won.

I set up a line of chairs down the room with the four groups' tables on either side of the chairs.

Each group then sent one adventurer to join a group of four that would be exploring the treasure mine (the line of chairs).

Starting at the end of the line (facing the back of the chairs) each adventurer simultaneously on the count of 1,2,3 put their hand out with either their pointer finger pointing out of a fist (heading out of the treasure mine) or their finger in a fist (going in to the mine). We did it like you would do rock paper scissors.

Those heading into the 'mine' advanced one chair and I revealed a card and acted accordingly, distributing treasure etc. At each chair we then re did the in/out option and played as per normal.

Once all of the exploring party had left the tunnel (voluntarily or fled) a new set of explorers started at the mouth of the tunnel.

All members of the group got to enter (one at a time as a part of the exploring group) until the game was over.

The most intersting part of the game was the involvement in the decision making and the cheering from the 'spectators', the members of the group who had already been in the mine or were waiting their turn. They really became a part of it.

It was a great event and we will be doing it again.

The side bonus was that all the leaders who were working with the groups loved the game and we sat down that night to play the proper game (about eleven times). They now want to know more about my game collection so we are meeting up in a few weeks to try a few more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! I've played it with 18 before in groups of 3, each group has 1 say. The arguing is superb! I'm definitely going to try your gang approach with the chairs! Thanks Warren!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a great idea.

I work for a summer camp, and will try this for our opening day party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls