Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luc Bélanger
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did not pledge for this game but looking at all the good review I'm looking into it.

I saw the content of the box and I understand it's less than the kickstarter and it's probably still fun without all the hero and dragon and extra but what I don't understand is the 8 scenarios on 4 maps. I play 8 time and that's it?

I looked at the KS page and apparently there's a scenario book with 19 scenarios, cool ... kickstarter exclusive... Am I missing something or the retail version a demo of a game that I will never be able to get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only play each scenario once, then yeah, only 8 plays.
Just like if you only play chess once...

There will be further scenarios published on Monolith's website and you can homebrew if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ictak wrote:
I saw the content of the box and I understand it's less than the kickstarter and it's probably still fun without all the hero and dragon

The dragon's not in the box - it was a paid extra, which many KS backers didn't buy.

Ictak wrote:
and extra but what I don't understand is the 8 scenarios on 4 maps. I play 8 time and that's it?

If you really want to give up so easily, sure . Each scenario can be played any number of times, and each is for a varying number of players. e.g. if you have 5 players in your group, only 2 of those scenarios will work "as is" for you. For two players, one of the players can play multiple characters, so they have access to the full range of scenarios.

Ictak wrote:
I looked at the KS page and apparently there's a scenario book with 19 scenarios, cool ... kickstarter exclusive...

You're not missing anything there - it won't be delivered until "sometime in 2017". (IMO it was a huge mistake to make any of the scenarios KS-only, as that only drives a wedge between the KS backers and the retail customers.)

Ictak wrote:
Am I missing something or the retail version a demo of a game that I will never be able to get?

There are 8 scenarios in the box. Monolith (A) expects to release many more online and (B) is expecting The Community to pick up the slack and release even more. Practice is proving (B) to be difficult, both because it is remarkably challenging and time-consuming to create well-balanced scenarios in Conan and because Monolith has not yet released the so-called "assets" necessary for the community to release consistent-looking scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ictak wrote:
I did not pledge for this game but looking at all the good review I'm looking into it.

I saw the content of the box and I understand it's less than the kickstarter and it's probably still fun without all the hero and dragon and extra but what I don't understand is the 8 scenarios on 4 maps. I play 8 time and that's it?

I looked at the KS page and apparently there's a scenario book with 19 scenarios, cool ... kickstarter exclusive... Am I missing something or the retail version a demo of a game that I will never be able to get?

This isn't an RPG with surprises galore and an extended plotline. You play out a scene from a Conan story, and you can play it more than once. It's not a story game. It's a tactical game, and you can set up the same thing and try it again more than once.

Not only that, but Monolith is going to release a lot of the scenarios on their site, probably next year, and you can play those, too.

Yes, Kickstarter backers got a lot more stuff. Like, a lot. But we still can't use a lot of the stuff we got because there are no scenarios for Savage Belit or King Conan or the camel or the bald psycho strangler guy. If you get the retail game, you'll get a lot less stuff, but you'll get only slightly less game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Just to clarify: I believe that most of the scenarios Monolith will release online are also designed to use the Kickstarter components (they are the 'missing' ones to accompany the stretch goals and add-ons from the Kickstarter).

The fan-made ones, if they come to pass, will presumably deal with base game components only in some instances and not in others (but we really don't know until they publish something of this nature).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ancestral Hamster
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably play each scenario more than once. From my own experience, as the owner of the game, I play the Overlord the first time, and teach the rules. Then one of my friends takes the Overlord position and tries to do a better job at it. Today yet a different friend had to be taught the rules, but once he tried Overlord, he took two replays of "Hunting the Tigris" right down to the last turn, both nail-biters. He played very well. As it was, I played "Hunting the Tigris" four times today, twice as Overlord with two different groups, then twice as Belit.

Changing the equipment mix will also tip the balance of the game. Too easy for the heroes? Give them inferior weapons and armor and see if they can still win. Or give the OL better minions if you have that option. That should freshen an old scenario.

Also, there will be expansions Khitai, Stygia, and Nordheim(?) which (IIRC) should have four scenarios each. (Although that requires further investment, which you may not want to do. I passed on them in the KS since I wanted to see how often Conan hits the table. My copy of Zombicide is another game which does not see enough play to justify the amount of money I spent on it, although I do enjoy it.)

Ictak wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Yep in the base box there are 8 scenarios. But scenarios in Conan are highly replayable, because at the core of Conan is resource management and it is tactical game. It is not like a videogame where you play through the story once and that's it.

In other words, scenarios in this game offer varieties to the game's theme but it is very replayable because of its gameplay. Also, I think many scenarios are on their way.

I played through the first 3 scenarios 3 times yesterday, that's 9 times and it was the first day I received the game. I love all of them, and every game was fun and they are never the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While there will be a bunch of scenarios for KS exclusive content (hey, those minis want to be used as well, and you cannot just simply put them into any scenario you want), there will be plenty for retail content as well, especially, once the three big expansions come out. Give it some time.

Unless you are a completionist, I wouldn't worry about the KS exclusive stuff.

Yes, it is nice to have, but at least at the moment, it is also kinda useless. You won't really miss it.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Unless you are a completionist, I wouldn't worry about the KS exclusive stuff.

i'll take that one step further and say that though i have all the KS exclusives, i will likely never use them because i want any scenarios i design to be playable by the widest possible audience. Likewise, i want to discuss scenarios which the widest range of players have access to, and am unlikely to play a scenario for which only a small handful of players actually have the pieces needed. i'm not a fan of having KS-exclusive bits in games (okay, one or two minis as a memento, but nothing more) as they inherently drive a wedge which is visible in forums like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole Bonbon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm probably an idiot but all you people saying there are only 8 scenarios in the base box, are you counting the 4 additional scenarios at the end? Is this a kickstarter thing? I am confused

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
anatolehp wrote:
I'm probably an idiot but all you people saying there are only 8 scenarios in the base box, are you counting the 4 additional scenarios at the end? Is this a kickstarter thing? I am confused

If you got the King Box, you got the 4 extra scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole Bonbon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ampoliros wrote:
anatolehp wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up. Those 4 plus the 4 in the second box, means King's box people got twice the amount of scenarios that people buying the game now do. Honestly that's messed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anatolehp wrote:
ampoliros wrote:
anatolehp wrote:
I'm probably an idiot but all you people saying there are only 8 scenarios in the base box, are you counting the 4 additional scenarios at the end? Is this a kickstarter thing? I am confused :what:

Thanks for clearing that up. Those 4 plus the 4 in the second box, means King's box people got twice the amount of scenarios that people buying the game now do. Honestly that's messed up.

Don't get me wrong, personally I don't like KS exclusives, but there was bunch of extra stuff in the King Pledge, so why shouldn't there be more scenarios? And don't think in terms of multipliers as they distort a bit for low numbers. It's another 8 scenarios - 4 for buying the King Pledge, which is effectively an exclusive bonus expansion available just to backers, plus then 4 for the stretch-goals. Plenty of KSs, rightly or wrongly, include exclusives, this is the marketing of getting KS backers - that's the only thing that's messed up, not this particular instance of it.

TBQH, I'm sure these scenarios will find themselves up online - I think Monolith will need to add them to their pages so people can ask questions about them, then if you want to use them it shouldn't be too difficult to proxy up cards and figures for them. You never know, Monolith may even release them, themselves, at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.