GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,995 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » General

Subject: How much should I buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andi Huller
Germany
flag msg tools
Are two starters and one display enough to have all cards, ignoring the randomness of booster packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakening...

This is the only way to avoid the randomness except for trading or the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mb
Just by the math, two starters and one box get you a total of 226 cards. That said, 60 of the 174 cards in Awakenings are 'rare' or 'legendary.' Since there are only one of those in each pack, 36 packs of boosters give you no shot to get all the rares and legendaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cheapest way to get a complete set is going to be via the secondary market, as with most CCGs. Snagging several booster boxes will definitely help you find trade-bait to pad the process, but that depends how much time you want to spend doing so.

If you just want to play the game, the starters and a box will definitely give you a playable set. Far from complete, but very competitive, very playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
https://teamcovenant.com/product/star-wars-destiny-awakening...

This is the only way to avoid the randomness except for trading or the secondary market.

I was going to suggest this as well. When they first announced this, I went to the site to check it out. I could have sworn there was other options besides the complete set. Something like, All the Blues Cards, or All the Yellow Cards. I'm not seeing that anymore.

Edit: Watched the video of the announcement of the additional sets Team Covenant is coming out. I was slightly off on what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin OKeefe
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A legendary is one in 6 packs. A booster box has 36 packs. You cannot get all the cards from one booster box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
13 boxes gets you close to a 50% chance of having 2 of every legendary and probably 20 of each common. Best option is secondary market or buy 3.6 booster boxes and trade for the legendarys you missed in packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
13 boxes gets you close to a 50% chance of having 2 of every legendary and probably 20 of each common. Best option is secondary market or buy 3.6 booster boxes and trade for the legendarys you missed in packs.

You get 6 legendaries per box. I would say if randomness isn't hurting you too bad, you could get the set in 8 booster boxes. Probably 6 if you trade a few of your triples. 13 booster boxes would net you 78 legendaries. There are only 17 legendaries in the first set. So you need 34 total. I find that extremely unlikely that with 78 legendaries you only have a 50% chance of getting 2 of every legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Huller
Germany
flag msg tools
A box of 36 boosters costs 130 Euro here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xMindFreak wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:

You get 6 legendaries per box. I would say if randomness isn't hurting you too bad, you could get the set in 8 booster boxes. Probably 6 if you trade a few of your triples. 13 booster boxes would net you 78 legendaries. There are only 17 legendaries in the first set. So you need 34 total. I find that extremely unlikely that with 78 legendaries you only have a 50% chance of getting 2 of every legendary.

Coupon collector math problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon_collector's_problem

just to get one set of legendaries all 17 will take most people 59 tries
to get a second set will go faster not sure how to estimate it but it would be less than double (118 tries). 59 tries for just 1 of every thing is 59/6 = 9.8 boxes (980$ USD). You may get lucky, but for most people that is what it takes. The second set lies just under 20 boxes (2000$ USD). The Team Covenent set at 300$ is a bargain. Granted this is just 1 of each legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Zorowitz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:

Coupon collector math problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon_collector's_problem

just to get one set of legendaries all 17 will take most people 59 tries
to get a second set will go faster not sure how to estimate it but it would be less than double (118 tries). 59 tries for just 1 of every thing is 59/6 = 9.8 boxes (980$ USD). You may get lucky, but for most people that is what it takes. The second set lies just under 20 boxes (2000$ USD). The Team Covenent set at 300$ is a bargain. Granted this is just 1 of each legendary.

This is somewhat less true in the CCG world due to the way product is collated - usually sheets are printed in a way that is designed to minimize the overlap of rares\legendarys between a given box\case, which helps smooth out this problem a bunch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of the secondary market, any word on whether singles will be sold by any online retailers? Or will it just be consumer to consumer? Will FLGSs be allowed to sell singles, or did FFG put sanctions on that activity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
bourgman wrote:
Will FLGSs be allowed to sell singles, or did FFG put sanctions on that activity?

Are publishers even allowed to do that? Or is the answer more complex than a simple "they can" or "they cannot"?

Honest question, as I have no idea what the law says in this case. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
bourgman wrote:
Will FLGSs be allowed to sell singles, or did FFG put sanctions on that activity?

Are publishers even allowed to do that? Or is the answer more complex than a simple "they can" or "they cannot"?

Honest question, as I have no idea what the law says in this case. Just curious.

When Asmodee bought FFG and Days of Wonder, they made all retailers sign an agreement saying they won't sell online without special permission and only a select handful would be given permission (Amazon, CSI, Miniature Market, Funagain, etc.). Also part of the agreement was that the would not break open sealed product to sell components. However, that agreement was drafted in April when the merged companies didn't have any collectible games in their portfolio. The Team Covenant Saga packs seem to violate the contract retailers would make with FFG, unless they were given special permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bourgman wrote:
When Asmodee bought FFG and Days of Wonder, they made all retailers sign an agreement saying they won't sell online without special permission and only a select handful would be given permission (Amazon, CSI, Miniature Market, Funagain, etc.). Also part of the agreement was that the would not break open sealed product to sell components. However, that agreement was drafted in April when the merged companies didn't have any collectible games in their portfolio. The Team Covenant Saga packs seem to violate the contract retailers would make with FFG, unless they were given special permission.

Even if the agreement hasn't been revisited with the addition of a CCG product to their portfolio, the original version of the agreement doesn't preclude online retailers from trading in singles so long as they're buying their stock from private parties who've opened the sealed product they bought.

Essentially, Asmodee doesn't want people abusing wholesale prices to stock their singles. If you buy a box from them at wholesale, and open it, your margin is huge and you're artificially limiting the availability of actual sealed product directly to consumers. If you're forced to sell sealed product to consumers, who then sell back singles to you, your margins on the singles market slim down a lot, and you're not incentivized to keep the sealed product off your shelves to do the bulk of your business in singles instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
CSI added a front page section right along side the other major CCGs. I don't think they would do that unless they were planning to sell singles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.