Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Would anyone know what AG plans are to expand CoH:Guadalcanal? I like to have some idea before considering buying this one, as I find the existing crop of expansions for the Eastern front to be disappointing (and as far as I can see, it's not going to get better, if indeed anything else is going to see the light of day at all).

I read a specific solo module is coming, and I guess a scenario/battles generator will be in the works too, but is there going to be anything else or is it just going to be big boxes?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the existing crop of expansions for the eastern front then you're not going to like much. The following eastern front expansions were pretty good:

Price of Honor
Solo Module
Firefight Generator
The Marsh was okay
The rest (Monsters and Wrecks and Destruction) were really pre-order bonuses.

What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, maybe I'm being too difficult, but it kind of hinges heavily on Price of Honor.

Putting aside the "preorder bonuses" and the solo module (which I love as I play mostly solo, but which is very specific and does not really expand the scope of the game), you're left with the Swamp and the Firefight generator. That's really not much.

So back to Price of Honor. First, I don't like the setting, but that's on me. Secondly, I don't own SoS, so I wouldn't even be able to enjoy the expansion to its fullest. Adding to that, PoH is not fully compatible with either the Firefight generator nor the solo module, so while it might be a fantastic expansion for someone else, for me it's heavily overpriced.

So yeah, the Eastern front is big, there's 6 years to cover, I would have thought we'd see many more maps, units and scenarios by now (and possibly SMALLER expansions, rather than big boxes), and I'm kind of hoping it'll be a different story with Guadalcanal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday att BGG Con, I bought an expansion that has U.S. Army units. Scenarios can be found online on Academy Games' website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Academy's approach to CoH has ever been about expansions. Its about big boxes, i.e., self-contained games. The useful expansions lately have been Solo and FF Generator and I think that is the direction Guadalcanal will go. Then likely a Western Front or Mediterranean game. But, perhaps they have different plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Gambill

Virginia
msg tools
I know a western front game is in the works. I think concentrating on the airborne drops in Normandy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I spoke to them earlier this year they said the next CoH title would be Conflict of Heroes: First Men In – Normandy 1944, but had no ETA. I wouldn't be surprised if its 2020 or later, but I'd love to be proven wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.