Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last weekend I ran a youth development weekend and used a variation of this game as an activity.

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1515599#1515599 for a session report.

On the weekend I used eight leaders to help me manage the larger group, by breaking them into much smaller groups.

Well these leaders loved the look of the game when their groups were playing it and wanted to play it themself.

So at 10 PM that night we sat down and played 11 games. They loved it!

Many questions were asked about where I got it and why, which led to me explaining my game collection.

"You have more games like this?"

"We should get together and play some more!"

So we are, in a couple of weeks.

So far on the menu I have For Sale, Guillotine, Hey That's My Fish, Transamerica, Bang!, Formula De (with much simplified rules), Carcassonne, Bohnanza and maybe TtR and TtD. I'll throw in Apples to Apples too.

My plan is to introduce them to as many games as a I can in the time frame, so I have gone for lighter quicker stuff to start with.

I think Incan Gold may be about to replace Transamerica as my most popular gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Relikt then.

It is cheap, similar theme and is perfect as a gateway card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, incan Gold is a great game to get people started on. If you ant something similar but just a little more challenging what about Cloud 9? Incan Gold with added bluffing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
2019 unique titles | 2019 total plays
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold works
I've never played the Diamant version, but I know the Incan Gold version works as a great Gateway game. I've seen people who claim to dislike boardgames embrace this one and have a lot of fun playing. I've also seen people who consider themselves gamers playing this with as much passion as some heavier games.

When I first heard a summary of how this game worked, I thought it sounded pretty stupid. I thought it would be like guessing the number you are going to roll on a die and then rolling. Turns out, it is full of decisions and it is a lot of fun (not super strategic, but there are enough decisions to keep everyone interested).

It is definitely my #1 gateway game with Ticket to Ride as #2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
!
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
Buy Relikt then.

It is cheap, similar theme and is perfect as a gateway card game.

I adore Diamant and hate Relikt. The theme maybe similar, but Relikt is overly long, overly chaotic, and overly complicated for the filler game that it should be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeek!

You killed Relikt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THe other added plus to this game is the cost.
It retails here for about $20.00

I would also second the nod to Cloud 9, for the same reasons.

In fact, we played both games last night to wind down the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Join our Berks Boardgamers group (Hamburg, Pa) via Facebook!
badge
Ah, the diabolical Dice … a word of caution; don't throw them when you're alone. The fiends lack loyalty, and their notion of nourishment is quite disturbing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Diamant version and my church game group is wearing it thin! Transamerica is also played quite regular. There are two other games that I'd recommend as awesome gateway games, Blokus and Crokinole. Crokinole is out of a lot of people's price range but it's EASILY the most played game by our youth group. All teens will play Crokinole but many of them won't play anything else!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls