$20.00
United States
flag msg tools
We're the kind of group who likes to do only unique content in a game. For reference we LOVE games like Imperial Assault, Descent, Mansions of Madness- where you take on a narrative/ unique challenge and then move on. Not being very familiar with Kingdom Death, how does this idea compare here? Are you replaying content with the expansions? How many play sessions does just the base game get you? I'll probably ask some followup questions to anyone who replies. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend just playing the base game first.

The base game gives you loads of content- most of the expansions alter the content (replace item or events with new ones) and I think it is best to experience the core before you start to wrap your head around expansions.

I know that you probably think you'd get bored with only the seven monsters in the core box, but each of them has several forms that play significantly differently, which keeps things nice and varied for a campaign.

The game plays as a campaign with 20-25 "lantern years." A lantern year roughly takes a game session (veteran groups will be able to go through the first few years very quickly). And that's not accounting for the times that your settlement gets wiped out.

If you'd like to expand, there are a few things to consider:

1- Some expandions come with separate campaigns that play very differently from the core one. These are the Sunstalker, Dragon King and Flower Knight.

2- Some expansions add monsters that you fight early- these are the Gorm and Spidicules. These change the flow of the campaign quite a lot, as your early choices will change your options later on (plus, a lot of settlements don't make it past lantern year 8)

I'd recommend getting any of those expansions first, and consider other expansions later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Many have said however that they found Dragon King and Sunstalker story campaigns To have a lot more satisfying finale. So that's something to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Pousette
msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think KD:M will suit your group if you don't like to replay content. This game (even with expansions) is all about replaying content/monsters. You replay monsters to learn their tactics AND collect parts (so you can craft gear and have a chance against other monsters).

But you should know that KD:M is an amazing game. If you can live with meeting the same monster several times, which somehow feels organic in its reactions thx to the AI and Hit Locations deck, then you will have an amazing experience/story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
"satisfying" only applies if you are into Schadenfreude, but anyway,, in these forums, there was talk about quite the contrary: the absolute two-line inescapability of the non core campaigns left many dissatisfied.

anyway, it is always the same type of ending

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like to replay content, then here is my recommendation:

Lion Knight
Flower Knight

A lot of the re-hunting monsters comes from a desire to craft their armor set, while the Flower Knight allows you to create something awesome from any single hunt.

The Lion Knight provides a terrific nemesis encounter, and additionally gives you mixed armor sets. The mixed armor means that you do not have to collect all of any one monster's armor set in order to have a full set (it encourages you to hunt a little more variety).

So there's my $0.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I missed the premise: don't buy a $400 game to play it once!
(and worse, your first run will probably end some time after LY4 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rakuall Salohcin
Canada
flag msg tools
t3clis wrote:

Seconded. if your group will only play this once, buy 4 other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your group woukd be better off with a Legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakuall wrote:
t3clis wrote:

Right? They lost in LY6, and... don't want to play through the first years again? It's a slog, but that's part of the whole thing, you need to learn how your early decisions affect the settlement even years later. (How many of us chose SotF first game for the flavor?) Even if they houseruled out losing(somehow) and continued playing after a loss, they still wouldn't learn from their mistakes, and the fights would continually get harder and probably be unfun without that progress.

I'll echo these sentiments, this is a game of reinforcement - you fight the same monster, you play the same campaign, even as far as doubling the length through NG+, until mastery. It's a game about learning the game, and learning the lore of the game through repeated plays. We've attempted the base game settlement around 5 times now, getting slightly further each time.

This doesn't sound like something your group is interested in, to me. It's definitely a commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, this game is the exact opposite of new content (in a way, in another it's new every time, but I don't think it applies): it is a continuous grinding while mastering and learning the consequences of straight planning errors, of risking too much, and not risking enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
I concur with the group. There is a lot of grinding in this and very frequently interspersed with gut punches.

That being said its prob one of the most amazing games I've ever played. If you have a dedicated group of 4 or less I think you will be hard pressed to find another game to take over all of your hobby time and shop talking.

Also if you bought the base game for 400 and only played it only once or twice I think you could easily sell/trade it for 250 to 300 in value. bringing the experience in cost line with a lot of other games. The game may be linear but the decisions points and reactions and random events change that line quite a bit. One thing to note it is very luck based and not a lot of ways to mitigate the luck (at least not that I've seen yet.)

Another game you might want to check out is the game Gloomhaven by Isaac Childress. Due for delivery in Jan 2017 I think. I have not touched any other game in my collection or KS'ed anything else since getting KDM, Gloomhaven is the only game that excites me.

Hope that helps, FYI I bought the game and all expansions via retail. I have not opened any expansions yet. I'm only on my 2.5 play through. Had to shelf gaming for a while (summer travel, life, etc). Been obessing over it again this past week since we started playing again. Worth every penny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rakuall wrote:
t3clis wrote:

Thirded. or 10 games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:

c) People of the Lantern with Gorm, Lion Knight, Manhunter, Dung Beetle Knight, Sunstalker, Dragon King, Lion God and the Green Knight Armour. AKA The expensive, challenge mode where you try to build a set of Green Armour.

So this would work, really? I mean mixing several different campaigns does work? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.