Subject: What Does "Simultaneous" Mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preempting the inevitable smart remark: Yes, I do know what the word "simultaneous" means!

I just don't understand how the card reveals and actions can be taken simultaneously. In a game like Sushi Go, you can just lay down the card you want and pass the rest. In this game, you have to pay money (and possibly energy), you have to resolve any instant effects and invite Ambassadors etc etc. I've played through this game numerous times, and I've yet to see anything resembling "simultaneous" action.

How do you handle this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play with Ambassadors or Conflict. It's more or less simulatenous then, with only a very few cards that interact with the other players, so everyone can select simultaneously, reveal simultaneously, pay simultaneously, place simultaneously, then I usually go around clockwise and award points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which rulebook clarifies this, but players don't actually play their cards simultaneously.

Players should make their selection from their packs, then when everyone has done so, reveal their picks at the same time.

After that players should decide what to do with their cards in victory point order. Whomever has the most VPs resolves their card first and down the line until all cards have been resolved.

This should resolve any timing issues you have about instant effects, Ambassadors, etc.

Now, in practicality, the game play doesn't need to be played so strict. When choosing between playing the card, discarding it for money or discarding it for a power reactor the decision is usually already made and when cards are revealed the decision won't change.

Its only when using the conflict cards and the ambassadors (and maybe some card types that I'm forgetting) that the order things are resolved in really matter. When doing that you can usually work it out between players, using the VP track only when it really matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that if you're ahead of me in VP order and you take an ambassador that I wanted (or the replacement ambassador might be interesting), I need to reevaluate. This is incredibly slow. So from a practical standpoint, I just recommend not bothering with ambassadors, or use house rules like dealing out 2 extras but not refilling until everyone has played a card; that at least helps because you can kind of look at it and say "well, if that ambassador is taken, my backup plan is X."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.