Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Thematic dice - thoughts on color? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Age of Piracy (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25292) is getting into the nitty gritty details of things right now. The game will have some custom made dice with engravings on them (similar to those in WotR and Attack!).

I would prefere the dice to feel and look "piraty". My initial thought was to have the dice be dark wood with gold engravings. But bone white may also be nice.

Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a bit boring, but the most thmatic pirate-wise may be black, with white carvings (à la Skull & Crossbones) ?


N.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, just open up the damn preorders already! The more you talk, the more I want to buy it now.

It would be more helpful if you provided picture examples. Either way both seem good to me. Anything that makes me go OOO Shiney is a plus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
Avatar
mbmbmb
I really like the idea of dark wood with gold engravings.
Although you could go for a "made from bone, and really old" look with dice that aren't bone white, but more of tan color. I would also make the dice look like they were carved by hand.

Good Luck,
LA
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark wood with gold sounds nice. My primary concern would be that, whatever color scheme you choose, the coloring is durable. Several games (most notably and recently, Battlelore) that have cool looking custom dice have suffered from premature fading of the etchings. Keep this in mind when you place the order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for dark wood and gold.

It might be difficult to make white look truly unique and eye-catching (most standard dice are white i.e. monopoly, etc.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in with my vote for gold on dark wood, although I would like to see if they would stand out on the board (I assume they do, the last board picture looking predominantly blue)

I'll also second Cuthalion's comment about white looking 'standard', not a good choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bass
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark wood with gold would be ok, as long as there is plenty of contrast so the dice are easily read, but the bone look is certainly more authentic. Bone gets my vote, for what it's worth. thumbsup

I would also second JeffK's thoughts regarding durability. I have seen a number of games recently that use custom dice that are simply smooth cubes with screened images (Doom, for example), which invariably wear off far too quickly, making the dice all but useless.

I am happy to see you are giving this so much thought, and I am sure whatever you choose will be up to the high standard set by the rest of the components we have been shown so far. cool

I am really looking forward to playing this! Not meaning to hijack the thread, but is there a chance we will be able to 'test drive' Age of Piracy at Gencon Indy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!. I'm glad I posted. I almost refrained from it since it's such a ridiculous topic - i mean - the color of dice - how geekish can you get?

Good to see I'm not the only detail whore! cool

Regarding black and white. It's true that it would be thematic,but I do indeed find it a bit bland. Who knows it might end like that for practical reasons, but I would hope to be able to do something more fresh.

I found these two images online:



For the brown/gold sceheme I was thinking something like this:


What's cool about these is the beauty of their simplicity. Just engravings with no color as if they were carved out by hand. I could fear that they won't have enough contrast!


Lastly there are these. I like how they look like bone. However I don't think they can be mass produced. These atleast, are hand-made.


Regarding durability. Great point! However tha'ts kind of hard to test.. .I'm afraid that's a chance we will have to take :-/

Quote:
I am really looking forward to playing this! Not meaning to hijack the thread, but is there a chance we will be able to 'test drive' Age of Piracy at Gencon Indy?

I'm afraid not

Quote:
You know, just open up the damn preorders already! The more you talk, the more I want to buy it now.

It would be more helpful if you provided picture examples. Either way both seem good to me. Anything that makes me go OOO Shiney is a plus.


hehe - Thanks. Well... I want it released more than anyone!


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some designs I was playing around with for one of my games.
I kinda like the broken bone idea. Might be difficult to dial it in but it is different.


The broken bone dice could look like a finger bone that has been whittled down and carved into.
arrrh

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The top ones look nice, but I wish it was more darker, towards black just to make the gold stand out more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
I'll chime in with my vote for gold on dark wood, although I would like to see if they would stand out on the board (I assume they do, the last board picture looking predominantly blue)

This! This! Do NOT underestimate the paramount importance of board/dice contrast!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
I know it's a bit boring, but the most thmatic pirate-wise may be black, with white carvings (à la Skull & Crossbones) ?


N.


I agree. Not to take too much of a lead from Disney, but their dice for last year's Pirates of the Carribean branded version of Liar's Dice ("Pirates Dice") captured the theme well.



The only improvement I'd make is that I'd probably have done something more elaborate than circular spots for the pips - probably small, carved/slashed X's.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
thatmarkguy wrote:
Moviebuffs wrote:
I know it's a bit boring, but the most thmatic pirate-wise may be black, with white carvings (à la Skull & Crossbones) ?


N.


I agree. Not to take too much of a lead from Disney, but their dice for last year's Pirates of the Carribean branded version of Liar's Dice ("Pirates Dice") captured the theme well.



The only improvement I'd make is that I'd probably have done something more elaborate than circular spots for the pips - probably small, carved/slashed X's.

I think these ones are the way to go. maybe even for the different numbers you have little skull and crossbones instead of th pips.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice won't be featuring pips at all. Instead it will have icons like the "Skull & Crossbones" "Spy Glass" and similar thematic images.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
My initial thought was to have the dice be dark wood with gold engravings. But bone white may also be nice.

Thoughts?

Why not go all the way and just make them out of gold? That would be piratey.

Okay, maybe gold metallic colored with dark pips with rough edges so they look like gold. If I were a pirate, I'd be wanting some gold dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Forlorn yet Hopeful
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that maybe some sort of scrimshaw/whalebone look would be very nice. No sharp/perfect edges and with inked in scrimshawesque markings would really rock my sloop!


Arrrrggghhh! arrrh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
marqzen wrote:
Regarding durability. Great point! However tha'ts kind of hard to test.. .I'm afraid that's a chance we will have to take

This is a dangerous attitude for a publisher to take. Remember that your customers will blame you, not your dice manufacturer, for durability problems.

It may be hard to test, but it would be a good idea to at least try. Once you have decided on the colours, I'd ask your dice manufacturer for a sample. If it's not possible to get the exact die you will be ordering, get an existing sample that features the same style and colours. This will help determine if those colours *AS PRODUCED BY THAT MANUFACTURER* are distinct and legible. (This is incredibly important -- gold lettering on a brown background may look great from one printer but terrible from another.)

Once you have the sample, roll it around in your hand for the rest of the day while doing other tasks. Rub your fingers across the face and generally give it a good handling. This should give you at least some indication as to its durability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
marqzen wrote:
Regarding durability. Great point! However tha'ts kind of hard to test.. .I'm afraid that's a chance we will have to take

This is a dangerous attitude for a publisher to take. Remember that your customers will blame you, not your dice manufacturer, for durability problems.

It may be hard to test, but it would be a good idea to at least try. Once you have decided on the colours, I'd ask your dice manufacturer for a sample. If it's not possible to get the exact die you will be ordering, get an existing sample that features the same style and colours. This will help determine if those colours *AS PRODUCED BY THAT MANUFACTURER* are distinct and legible. (This is incredibly important -- gold lettering on a brown background may look great from one printer but terrible from another.)

Once you have the sample, roll it around in your hand for the rest of the day while doing other tasks. Rub your fingers across the face and generally give it a good handling. This should give you at least some indication as to its durability.

Hi. I guess my comment came off the wrong way. What I meant is: I'm no longer publishing it. All I can do is appeal to them, and the manufacturers the importance of the issue. Your method of testing is 'ok' but still then there are no garantees.

If FFGs and DoW can't get it right - It's simply hard for me to garantee that it's can't happen for us.

But it is very much something that I as the designer will stress the importance of. But ultimately the production is out of my hands.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
Once you have the sample, roll it around in your hand for the rest of the day while doing other tasks. Rub your fingers across the face and generally give it a good handling. This should give you at least some indication as to its durability.
If you know anyone with a rock tumbler, you could try wearing down some sample dice in it. I'm not sure how to test fading though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Straight forward solution - 6 (black dice with white pips) The most arrrh of normal dice in my opinion.

d10-2 Those black dice with a skull and cross bones as pictured above. A bit nicer than d10-1

d10-3 Most of the other options are very nice and would probably look good, but realistically how much more than than d10-1 or d10-2 would they actually cost and would the additional cost really be worth it?

d10-4 Onyx dice with silver or ivory inlayed pips. Definitely the most sexy dice possible for a pirate game and definitely too expensive if you actually want to sell the game, but boy people would be talking about the dice long after they have forgotten about the game meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝpun uʍop ʞǝǝƃ
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
tinderfire wrote:
If you know anyone with a rock tumbler, you could try wearing down some sample dice in it.
Arr! You beat me to it!

tinderfire wrote:
I'm not sure how to test fading though.
Shine a UV light in the gemstone tumbler?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_lunch wrote:
tinderfire wrote:
If you know anyone with a rock tumbler, you could try wearing down some sample dice in it.
Arr! You beat me to it!

hehe - Unfortunately I don't
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Cooper
England
Ruislip
Middlesex
flag msg tools
Try the 'Ancient' or 'Nightmare' dice here: www.historicgames.com/RPdice.html
Great coins too – should you need them.
Also try here for a bundle of dice of varying sizes, colours and materials: www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Dice_.html
These guys also make these treasure chests too: http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/TRINKET_BOXES.html
Good luck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some dice that are made to look like knucklebones. I think they would be perfect:

http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/dice/byManufacturer/koplow/d...

I think that kaplow also has them:

http://www.koplowgames.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |