Brendan Martin
United Kingdom
Shipley
W. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi and thanks for reading!

Me and my wife love board games, every Sunday evening my mum comes round for 3 hours or so to play games with us.

She has been playing games with us for a couple of months now and currently we play a few of the following each week:

1. Sushi Go
2. Carcasonne
3. Ticket to Ride
4. Splendor
5. Hanabi
6. Medici
7. Fuse
8. Biblios

She likes all of these games and I am interested in more games that are good for 3 players, ideally an hour or less to play. Bonus points if they expand up to 5 as we occasionally have a couple more round but that is not at all essential.

In terms of genres, she doesent really like too much scifi, horror or really strong fantasy roleplay stuff. Outside of games she loves puzzles and anything relating to murder mystery or problem solving.

Fuse was an interesting one, I didnt think she would like it but she suprised us all by actually being very good at it!

Have you got any good ideas of games that could take her to "the next level"? They cant be too heavy though. We tried Castles of Burgandy and although we got there, it took nearly 3 hours to finish!

Many thanks.

Brendan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye
Jamaica
Vikings
Yspahan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a nice thing. I wouldn't worry too much about the next level.

Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise (Just a lovely game to play over the holidays)

Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King? (Like a deeper version of Carcasone.)
(ninjaed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Focusing on the murder mystery and puzzle-solving, perhaps take a look at Letters from Whitechapel (plays up to 6). It's a bit heavier than what you're currently playing, but if your mom is interested in the theme and the deduction element, I think it could go over well On the lighter side, Mysterium also has a mystery element, is quite different from your other games, and plays up to 7.

EDIT: just saw the one hour or less requirement... LfW will certainly go above that, Mysterium is about right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently played The Great Heartland Hauling Co. with some non-gamers. That can be expanded to five with The Great Heartland Hauling Co.: Badlands.

The least gamer of the four of us ended up winning and she seemed to really like it.

No Thanks! went over pretty well with my mother-in-law. Three players seems to work okay, but I think it really shines with five players.

I also think Explorers of the North Sea works well with non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games my mom likes that fit your criteria are:
Beowulf the Movie (aka Kingdoms)
FITS
Bohnanza
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Through the Desert
Can't Stop
Rolling America
If Wishes Were Fishes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to find a copy of Ra if you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases would be a great option. Fits everything she loves outside of games, but in a game. 3 players is probably the max you'd want to play it with though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! is probably worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is great with 3 people. Another great competitive game is Takenoko. If your group grows to 5 you should check out Colt Express for competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
That sounds like a nice thing. I wouldn't worry too much about the next level.

My initial sentiments as well, and I think the fact that you play games weekly with your mother is just fantastic. heart

I agree with a lot of the suggestions here, in particular Istanbul, Isle of Skye and Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
It looks like you have a nice selection already, and you don't want to tire of playing by learning too many new games.

I agree that Isle of Skye would be a good addition as it has the tile laying puzzle of Carcassonnne with just a bit more.
I think Cottage Garden could be perfect.
Mysterium or Codenames are a similar weight as what you have but would add some variety.
And I haven't played it, but Mystery of the Abbey might work well, but I don't think its under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Martin
United Kingdom
Shipley
W. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry for the late reply. I have been away. Thank you all for the replies, I am going to look at every recommendation. Perfect! Will bag me a couple and look forward to playing them at the weekend

The community here is just awesome!

Brendan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Downfall of Pompeii

Guaranteed she will enjoy chucking meeples into a volcano
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about Citrus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't worry about the next level either. Some of these might work.

Ticket to Ride: Europe
For Sale
Incan Gold
Dixit
Love Letter
Can't Stop
Takenoko
No Thanks!
Coloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
jbenz32 wrote:
Pandemic is great with 3 people. Another great competitive game is Takenoko. If your group grows to 5 you should check out Colt Express for competitive.

Definitely should check out Pandemic and Takendo. Im not sure how Munchkin does with 3 players but its a game to look into

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Pandemic, Jamaica, and 7 wonders. Also, check out The Builders Antiquity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
The Downfall of Pompeii

Guaranteed she will enjoy chucking meeples into a volcano

For some reason, my head always link Pompeii with Survive: Escape from Atlantis! Must be the volcano thing.

Anyway, I think Survive will fit OP's needs. Plays 2-5 players, lasts under an hour and simple to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
badge
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cottage Garden
Between Two Cities
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eggs of Ostrich is a 3 player only, but is a really good game and would seem a good fit too.

San Juan? I think that might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.