GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

10,152 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Easier to go east then west rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lines on the machine operator board for east goes to east, north and south, meanwhile the line for all 3 west goes to east. So if you use one west direction you must do two more west and one east to clear the section without taking damage. Felt like it is easier to go east then you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do 3 west and an east, 3 south and an east or 3 north and an east.

So to me, it's harder to keep going east, as you can't clear the board. 3 east marks means 9 more movements (3N, 3S, 3W) to clear those 3 checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
You can do 3 west and an east, 3 south and an east or 3 north and an east.

So to me, it's harder to keep going east, as you can't clear the board. 3 east marks means 9 more movements (3N, 3S, 3W) to clear those 3 checks.

That's one case. That is if, and only if, you want to move east 3 times in a row without moving north or south enough to clear one of the east.

Let's say you start with a clear board. In all starting direction but west you can move 4 spaces and clear the board again. If you start west you have to move 8 spaces to clear the board.

Now, lets say you want to move 2 spaces, in succession, in any direction. Vertical is your best bet as it would only take two more moves to clear the board. East and west are even as it would take 6 more moves to clear the board.

3 spaces is where east becomes a problem and west is better. Going west 3 spaces means 5 more moves to clear the board. Where as moving 3 spaces means 9 more moves to clear the circuits.

So, the way the circuits are setup the preference will be vertical movement with drifting to the east. If you want to go west you have to be prepared to commit to it.

Notice that east and west have two reactors. That's how you balance this dilemma. As an engineer and a captain you should know this layout and what it causes you to do. As an engineer you should avoid marking the circuit that shares with west unless you know your captain will want to head west soon. So as captain you have to know to let your engineer know it is safe to mark that spot. If I don't hear from the captain that we will head west soon I will avoid marking that spot and mark the reactors instead. I make sure the captain knows that is my game plan so he can alter when needed. Then, if the captain does go west the only time I mark the reactors is if the captain tells me he needs certain systems available.

The key to this game for the engineer is communicating to the captain. Go ahead and ask if he plans on moving north or south soon so you know which east is best to mark off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirpoonga wrote:
The key to this game for the engineer is communicating to the captain. Go ahead and ask if he plans on moving north or south soon so you know which east is best to mark off.

Yes we use to point to each other, alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Houghton
Michigan
flag msg tools
One thing you could do, if both teams agree, is switch the sections on your engineering board (use a black wet-erase marker to change them). To make it even more interesting, roll a D6 for the configuration after selecting your starting position.

1 WNSE
2 SWEN
3 ESNW
4 NEWS
5 Blue team selects 1-4, or to go first and let Gold select (Turn-by-turn)
6 Gold team selects 1-4, or to go first and let Blue select (Turn-by-turn)

Note: this gives an even chance of each direction being the "easy" direction (with the other reactor-heavy cell being its opposite).

If you don't like one of the teams selecting (gaining advantage), then use a D4, D8/2(round up) or 2D6 mod 4 (0=>4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Geluso
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Rolling to determine the sections of the engineering sections is an awesome idea!! I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.