United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Co-Owner of a video game development company
badge
I worked on Earthbound
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I used the old system to set up my collection, and it was a bit confusing, but I have to say that now I am completely in the dark.

I want to add some games to my collection--I must be a complete reject, because I cannot figure it out now, and there's no help or anything for this part of BGG. Could someone tell me what I'm missing?

When I select Collection under My Geek, I get a box that includes a number of settings, one of which is "Own." I assume that I should be able to select No under Own, and I guess I then hit the Load button, and I would get a list of all the games I don't own, and I could then select the ones I'd like to add to my list, and then hit update or something, and I'd be happy...

But when I select No under Own and then Load, it doesn't list anything--just headings for selecting by the first letter of the game name, all of which are empty.

If I go to Games, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows me to get to add to my collection.

Could someone help? This is pretty frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing that you did. I got a list of games that I rated or are on my wishlist but that I don't own. Basically any game I've made a mark on.

You can add games at each game's page. There is a check box for own.

That might be the best way to go. Do you really want to browse through 1000s of games just add them to your collection? That could take a lot longer than listing the games in your collection and adding them individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kelly
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to add games to my collection? I feel like an idiot
Just look up your games on BGG (with the search bar thingy). At the bottom of the page there's a little box that you can click that says whether or not you own it. Click it, and it will be added to your collection.

Much better than the old way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Head to the particular game's page.

Scroll down to the bottom, and in the section titled My Collection, there is a box to tick for owned / not owned.

It's just under the rating box.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! 3x in 2 minutes. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
go to the page of the game you want to add.
scrow down to the bottom of the page and click on the 'own' box.
press submit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Is there a way to import an excel file of games in my collection? I have ~3000, so one by one is a SLOW process. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindblom
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Co-Owner of a video game development company
badge
I worked on Earthbound
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the info...Before, I was able to go through game lists by letter, which was nice because I could scan for games that I have in my collection that I forgot about, etc., and just hit the check box to add it to my collection without having to go to the game screen itself.

I'll scan the game lists, and also just search for the new games I've purchased.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also move the "Your Collection" module higher in the game page. I put it right after the description and then collapse it. It makes it easier when adding plays or purchases, and by being collapsed, it doesn't get in the way of the other things I might want to do on the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dogbreath wrote:
Is there a way to import an excel file of games in my collection? I have ~3000, so one by one is a SLOW process. Thanks!

View your collection (or use whatever filters you would like, such as for trade, wishlist etc.) When the page loads, there is a button at the top for "Export Collection" which will give you another page with options of which fields to export. Then the system will prompt you to download the file (be sure to uncheck "description" though... that field will cause an error, due to sheer size).

----

Damn, I gotta learn to read before responding. Sorry, as best I know, there isn't a way to import a collection, though there used to be a feature where you could page through games by title and then click checkboxes on ones owned and the like... perhaps another user still has a valid link for that tool, or you might find it on the site via the Wayback machine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it all too easy to add games to my collection. Every time I go to a game shop, and even many charity shops. My wife thinks it's a disease. You hould be lucky you're finding it so difficult!

Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Snell
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I am also having difficulty adding games to my "owned" list. I navigate to a particular game, go to the Your Collection section, check the Own box, and press Submit. A little red "Saving..." box apears in the middle and a "Error On Page" message appears in the IE message bar. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesjsnell wrote:
I am also having difficulty adding games to my "owned" list. I navigate to a particular game, go to the Your Collection section, check the Own box, and press Submit. A little red "Saving..." box apears in the middle and a "Error On Page" message appears in the IE message bar. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

I also frequently encounter this problem, but other times I don't. There is no rhyme or reason to when I get the error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
hancock.tom wrote:
jamesjsnell wrote:

I also frequently encounter this problem, but other times I don't. There is no rhyme or reason to when I get the error.

99.9% of the time this has to do with Norton Internet Security. Try adding BGG to the list of trusted sites and see if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Carl's idea! Go to Games and type each game name into search and then mark the own checkbox as well as any other information you feel necessary. I just did this and it works well! If you need help,let me know!arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Standish Proud congratulate me
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sroney wrote:
You can also move the "Your Collection" module higher in the game page. I put it right after the description and then collapse it. It makes it easier when adding plays or purchases, and by being collapsed, it doesn't get in the way of the other things I might want to do on the page.

Whoa, Nelly; you can move the various modules within each game entry? I just now dabbled with it and couldn't do it. How?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls