GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Patent query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've read (skimmed) the pinned post.

I need to pass a particular idea past someone to decide if it needs patenting and if it is something I can actually patent if I wish to do so.

Despite this being a private forum, I am reluctant to post details here (just yet anyway).

Are there one or two members who I could PM with specifics?

Or would I be better just posting my idea in here as is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you understand patenting to do/protect when it comes to board gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend re-reading (in detail) the pinned post.

The only person(s) truly qualified to determine if your idea needs patenting (or would stand a chance at being granted a patent) is a patent lawyer.

Odds are high you wouldn't need that kind of protection on your idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
monkeyhandz wrote:
What do you understand patenting to do/protect when it comes to board gaming?

It is a specific mechanic, not the game itself or the artwork.

But I'm not sure if it is

A Worthwhile

and

B Not already covered somewhere

byronczimmer wrote:
I recommend re-reading (in detail) the pinned post.

The only person(s) truly qualified to determine if your idea needs patenting (or would stand a chance at being granted a patent) is a patent lawyer.

Odds are high you wouldn't need that kind of protection on your idea.

That's fair enough, and your probably right on that. I was just wondering if someone could give general pointers.

I'm thinking it's probably not worthwhile, but I wanted to check anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a private forum. Anything you post here could be considered a public disclosure.

Those two questions are not simple questions with simple answers.

When you say that you have gone through the pinned post, do you mean this one? It has a lot of info.

MythBusting: Game Design and Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents (US Law)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is more important to get an idea out there and discussed so you can grow it and nurture it than to hide it away in a 15 month patent process in order to 'protect' it.

Everyone has their own ideas, and someone with the motivation to carry an idea forward is most likely going to do so with their own idea, not someone else's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
autumnweave wrote:
This is not a private forum. Anything you post here could be considered a public disclosure.

Those two questions are not simple questions with simple answers.

When you say that you have gone through the pinned post, do you mean this one? It has a lot of info.

MythBusting: Game Design and Copyright, Trademarks, and Patents (US Law)

Yes, that is the pinned post to which I referred - and yes, I have just skimmed it.

My apologies, I forgot this was a public forum that just required registration to post, but that is the exact reason I posted the query first.

byronczimmer wrote:
I think it is more important to get an idea out there and discussed so you can grow it and nurture it than to hide it away in a 15 month patent process in order to 'protect' it.

Everyone has their own ideas, and someone with the motivation to carry an idea forward is most likely going to do so with their own idea, not someone else's.

Very true. I did read that there is a time limit to apply for a patent after "public exposure", so I wasn't planning on hiding it away. I'm probably on a hiding to nothing anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if it's available in the UK right now, but a book I'm working through is "Patent it Yourself" by David Pressman. It's a good workbook. Downside for you is that it's based on US law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carrot Ironfoundersson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
autumnweave wrote:
Don't know if it's available in the UK right now, but a book I'm working through is "Patent it Yourself" by David Pressman. It's a good workbook. Downside for you is that it's based on US law.

Thanks.

I'm beginning to think it won't be worth bothering in this instance, however this has been an interesting foray.

And if my reading is right, I may still have chance to patent should I need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.