Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timid says the species cannot feed from the watering hole until all your other species are fed.

Cooperation says when this species feeds the species to the right feeds from the same source.

So if I have a timid creature to the right of a species that has cooperation and feeds from the watering hole, does the timid species feed as well? (I'm guessing no but wanted to double check.)

Another question to do with Timid: If I have a carnivore that is not full but cannot eat because it can't overcome the size / defenses of the other species, and another species with timid, is my timid species forced to go extinct because the carnivore hasn't finished eating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a thread over on the Climate Forums that answers all of these questions, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
So if I have a timid creature to the right of a species that has cooperation and feeds from the watering hole, does the timid species feed as well? (I'm guessing no but wanted to double check.)

Actually, it would still get the food, but it couldn't be the one that initiated the feeding. Card effects such as Cooperation are benefits triggered by a feeding, not feeding (in game terms) itself. I hope I said that in a way that makes sense....it's late and I'm tired.

Maebon wrote:
Another question to do with Timid: If I have a carnivore that is not full but cannot eat because it can't overcome the size / defenses of the other species, and another species with timid, is my timid species forced to go extinct because the carnivore hasn't finished eating?

I'd say the Timid could then begin feeding because the Carnivore is unable to feed. If I'm wrong, that's a perfect reason to use something like Intelligence or Migratory on your Timid species so there's still a chance to get food for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timid says nothing about another species' ability to feed. It says all your non-timid species must be fed before the Timid species can eat from the Watering Hole. Period. If the other species are not fully fed, a Timid species can't eat from the Watering Hole.

So, if your Carnivore is unable to find the food it needs, your Timid non-Carnivore won't be able to access the Watering Hole.

Think of it this way: A Timid species is too scared to come out and look for food. He won't try until everyone else has had their fill and left the Watering Hole. If you've still got a species wondering around and trying to find food, the Timid species won't come out. And the Timid species has no idea if the Carnivore is able to find the food it needs or not, it just knows he's out there. And that's enough to keep him in.

It's very thematic.

Of course, one wonders if a Hibernating species with all but two food slots filled counts as fed or not. If your Carnivore needed two more food, but also had Hibernation, would the Timid guy come out and eat then? Not sure. Can see it both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Timid says nothing about another species' ability to feed. It says all your non-timid species must be fed before the Timid species can eat from the Watering Hole. Period. If the other species are not fully fed, a Timid species can't eat from the Watering Hole.

I can see this logic here....that's why I hedged my answer above. My only thought/concern is that it might be thematic, but it mechanically hurts the game. The game is founded in realism, but as with many things, sometimes reality needs to be "bent" for purposes of a positive playing experience.

CenozoicMatt wrote:
Of course, one wonders if a Hibernating species with all but two food slots filled counts as fed or not. If your Carnivore needed two more food, but also had Hibernation, would the Timid guy come out and eat then? Not sure. Can see it both ways.

Actually, this one is spelled out on page 14 of the rules book in the section that goes into greater detail for each card:
Quote:
Hibernation
Up to 2 Population may be ignored when determining if this species is Hungry.

In light of this, the Timid would be able to feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
Theres a thread over on the Climate Forums that answers all of these questions, I believe.

For anyone wondering the thread is found over here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1668259/timid-promo-car...
I didn't find it at first because it wasn't in the rules forum, (and thought the promo pack forum would be the logical place for it.)

In short, official answers:
Timid can benefit from cooperation, just can't go to the watering hole itself if another species is unfed.

If you have a carnivore that cannot feed then the timid species cannot feed, it is a risk of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.