Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Lin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok i must admit that I haven't not looked into dragonriders in detail, but my first impression was: "this is like formula de, but with dragons."

This game is on sale at my local store, how does it compare with formula de? I have not played other racing games before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than both being a race, there is nothing else that compares between them. Dragonriders plays more like a tabletop miniatures game: no spaces, no dice for movement, various powers to affect movement, variable tracks. My guess is that unless you like the idea of free movement (using included "measuring sticks") you would probably be better off sticking to the fast play of Formula De.

Not to be rude, but how can you be too lazy to simply read a review or two? That's why people write them and is exactly what the BGG is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a slight comparison between dragonriders and formule de in the fact that you can only speed up or slow down your dragon by a finite amount from turn to turn. You have a speed wheel that you program your speed on. it has one arrow for your current speed (100 to 800) and what you are changing your speed to. you can only change it by up to 300. when it's your turn you put a measuring stick of the speed you are going on the front of your dragon, then move the dragon to the end of the stick. Lower speed measuring sticks are much thinner and more manuverable, faster speeds are very turn limited. there is quite a bit of skill and eye judgement figuring out how to speed up and slow down your dragon to navigate the tight turns between straightaways.

If you buy the game I would highly suggest putting rubber on the bottom of the dragon pieces so they don't slide when figuring out movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
White Rock
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
If you buy the game I would highly suggest putting rubber on the bottom of the dragon pieces so they don't slide when figuring out movement.

A tremendous solution to this problem for me was both a weight and anti-slide application.

I got a roll of magnetic tape, 1" wide, from a local Michaels. You don't need the magnetic ability, and as far as magnetic effect between dragons is concerned, it is for all purposes nil and not detectable. But, it adds just the right amount of weight, cuts with a pair of scissors, and is adhesive on one side so that it is trivially easy to apply, and, it is the exact same width as the dragon piece. Cut a piece about 1.25" long, stick it to the bottom of the dragon, and then trim the four sides (2 are already perfect because the dragon and tape are both 1" wide!).

Then, using a small square of rubberized shelf liner (looks like a rubber bubbly spiderweb), I used a fabric glue to fasten it to the dragon, and when dry, trim it off. Any kind of all-purpose cement should work fine, I just happened to have this fabric glue that works really well on Lots of Things.

Without weight and slippery, the dragons as supplied make this game nearly unplayable with any consistency. With the modifications, it works like a charm.

And, I have a roll of metal adhesive tape that will allow me to add extra weight to anything else. I am certain that I will find many uses for it down thru the years...

By the way,

I also got some thin adhesive felt circles and applied them judiciously to the bottoms of the speed sticks. This raises the stick up just a bit to counter the rise in height provided by the rubber feet, plus prevents the sticks from doing that wobbly-n-spin thing that they can do so easily without the small amount of frictional resistance the felt provides. But not to much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Lin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
There is a slight comparison between dragonriders and formule de in the fact that you can only speed up or slow down your dragon by a finite amount from turn to turn. You have a speed wheel that you program your speed on. it has one arrow for your current speed (100 to 800) and what you are changing your speed to. you can only change it by up to 300. when it's your turn you put a measuring stick of the speed you are going on the front of your dragon, then move the dragon to the end of the stick. Lower speed measuring sticks are much thinner and more manuverable, faster speeds are very turn limited. there is quite a bit of skill and eye judgement figuring out how to speed up and slow down your dragon to navigate the tight turns between straightaways.

thank you for your reply, that was very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls