Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jersey-man-arrested-300-toll-viol...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Five E-Z passes? So the New York-New Jersey Toll Authority is as efficient as the one here in Oklahoma. Beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why would he have five EZPass accounts? What would that get him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
damiangerous wrote:

Not sure how the toll/Ez pass system works out there in the hinterlands.

Victim of identity theft?

Get a pass in his name to dodge the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:

Five times the EZ, bro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

Five times the EZ, bro.

He got confused he thought it meant his comcast information supper highway would be five times as fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Personally I view toll roads as a complete failure of government to provide infrastructure to it's citizens. The fact that we have to rely on private businesses to facilitate transportation is a regression and the fact that Republicans are looking to expand public-private partnerships is a travesty.

The fact that a single's person's use of transportation (and fines which is actually overhead) can run up to $20K shows how inept our government is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mtagge wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Personally I view toll roads as a complete failure of government to provide infrastructure to it's citizens. The fact that we have to rely on private businesses to facilitate transportation is a regression and the fact that Republicans are looking to expand public-private partnerships is a travesty.

The fact that a single's person's use of transportation (and fines which is actually overhead) can run up to $20K shows how inept our government is.

Pssst. It happened in New Jersey.

Yes it is a failed govt. I'm really not sure how you worked republicans into the scenario, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Pssst. It happened in New Jersey.

Yes it is a failed govt. I'm really not sure how you worked republicans into the scenario, though.
Trump campaigned on public-private partnerships for his infrastructure package. Ryan supports public-private partnerships. Public-private partnerships is basically code for tolls, huge overhead costs, and private profits for public services. It's a basic tenant of their platform.

We have toll roads in Virginia that were supposed to revert to public roads over a decade ago. Fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
damiangerous wrote:

4 of them probably stopped working because he didnt pay them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
mtagge wrote:

how about a little eminent domain on the jersey turnpike~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtagge wrote:

We have toll roads in Virginia that were supposed to revert to public roads over a decade ago. Fail.

Why did the state of Virginia not revert? I agree with you; there should be hard sunsets for any infrastructure repayment/expansion as a condition of the additional construction.

I think that may be the nub of your issue here. Why weren't they turned back over to the public domain?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
mtagge wrote:

Why did the state of Virginia not revert? I agree with you; there should be hard sunsets for any infrastructure repayment/expansion as a condition of the additional construction.

I think that may be the nub of your issue here. Why weren't they turned back over to the public domain?

Ferret
I'm pretty sure it was something like the toll road operators offered to continue to maintain the road (which frankly is easier as no trailers drive on it) for continued toll collection and the county didn't object seeing as how it was still a budget win so they extended the program. At the end of the day it is easier to continue to let government behave in a failed state than add a cost like road maintenance to the budget. After all the booths are already in place.

Frankly I'd rather see all cars charged per mile driven by an check at the yearly safety inspection (and those farm trucks can just get an exemption). Since we seem to have failed to collect enough road revenue from gas taxes.
single sentences wrote:

how about a little eminent domain on the jersey turnpike~
How long has that one been a toll? I remember paying tolls on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when we drove to Grandma's place every summer 20+ years ago. Looks like it's still a toll. :sigh: Our government still hasn't figured out taxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me a sleepiness moment, but...

Why do we have both a gasoline tax and a gasoline subsidy concurrently? Is there a logical answer besides "politics is a ridiculous business"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Terwox wrote:
Forgive me a sleepiness moment, but...

Why do we have both a gasoline tax and a gasoline subsidy concurrently? Is there a logical answer besides "politics is a ridiculous business"?

the tax is paid by the consumers while the subsidy goes to the companies - so in other words yet another case of corporate welfare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

not all heroes wear capes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtagge wrote:

Frankly I'd rather see all cars charged per mile driven by an check at the yearly safety inspection (and those farm trucks can just get an exemption). Since we seem to have failed to collect enough road revenue from gas taxes.

Actually I think we'd be better served to do something along those lines, but we can do without the silly yearly inspection. That's a massive increase in government infrastructure and long lines, all with the efficiency of the Post Office.

Better is to provide a couple of options for monthly/quarterly/year surchages based on reported mileage and a little table of miles vs. weight. Maybe 1% of folks are randomly checked that their numbers are accurate, and ginormous fines are levied if there's fraud of some kind.

I believe there's a pilot program of some kind in Colorado, and I'm sure there are others being tested as well around the country.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

not all heroes wear capes.

Very true....?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.