J.D. Hall
msg tools
Hopefully, this will lead to a greater understanding of pre-Columbian America:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/17/americas/chichen-itza-pyra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Hopefully, this will lead to a greater understanding of pre-Columbian America:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/17/americas/chichen-itza-pyra...

Okay that is cool.....

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
It's totally ancient aliens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
It's totally ancient aliens!

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kissa
United States
flag msg tools
La vie est un jeu
badge
Panem et Circenses
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.yahoo.com/news/kukulkan-pyramid-built-russian-ne...

Quote:
A third structure within the Kukulkan pyramid in eastern Mexico has been discovered, revealing that it was built like a "Russian nesting doll," experts said Wednesday. The discovery suggests that the pyramid was built in three phases.

A 33-feet tall pyramid was found within another 65-feet structure, which itself is enveloped by the 98-feet exterior visible at the Mayan archeological complex known as Chichen Itza in Yucatan state.

Researchers believe that the recently discovered smallest pyramid was constructed between the years 550-800 AD. The middle structure was discovered in the 1930s and is estimated to date back to the years 800-1000 AD, while the largest one was finished between 1050-1300 AD.

"It's like a Russian nesting doll. Under the large one we get another and another," researcher Rene Chavez Seguro reportedly said during a news conference.

Researchers said that the smallest pyramid was spotted using non-invasive scanning techniques that involve lighting the inside of the pyramid to see its interior without causing damage.

The discovery could shed light on the original Mayan culture before it was influenced by populations from central Mexico, Denisse Argote, an expert at the National Anthropology and History Institute, reportedly said.

“If we can research this structure in the future it could be important, because it could tell us about the first-period inhabitants” of the site, Argote added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Pfff As the semi-official rsp Keeper Of Odd Knowledge, I would like to point out there is supposedly an ancient pyramid hidden under a mountain. Top secret/special forces-like people are excavating it in secret as we speak.

If you were to google it, as I have today, you will note that the particular pyramid I reference is completely pushed out of the search results because another pyramid was discovered this year in Central America that everyone just thought was a mountain.

I'll have to do more searching when I have time.... I like to pretend you care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, the traditional thanksgiving Pyr-duck-en-amid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
In Australia we have ancient pyramids too.
Over here though the bigger pyramid is totally inside the smaller pyramid.
Our scientists are working to understand the technology and then they are going to to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The outer pyramid was more akin to Tupperware to keep the inner temple fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Just to be silly I thought I'd share how this discovery might tie into Dia de los Muertos.

There are small ? ~ 300mm pottery houses from this region that have 2 levels and figurines in each.
The upper level has the living, eating and carrying on as the living are wont to do.
And the lower level has their dead, doing dead-like-things, I suppose, like walking around.

These nested pyramids can be seen as giant versions of these houses, with today's (well today's 500 years ago) temple being just another level in a multi-layer ancestor-descendent strata development.

If we wanted to get the religion going again the natural thing to do would be to build another bigger pyramid over the top of this one.

image from:
http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2015/design-fo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't meant to be a pyramid - it was their first attempt at an RSP ziggurat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes... The fabled Matryoshka Pyramid. Proof positive that Trotsky did alot more than get murdered in Mexico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
growlley wrote:
It wasn't meant to be a pyramid - it was their first attempt at an RSP ziggurat.
It's the 'top half' for a d8 d10-8 whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.