Subject: Background question about MG and Rapid Op Fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was reading the rules, getting ready to purchase ToI at the local game store when it comes in, and a question popped into mind about the Rapid Op Fire rule with MG.

Why can a MG Rapid Op Fire at a moving active squad only once?

Here's my thinking and I'm hoping Mike Z. will be able to give some history behind Rapid Op Fire (RoF).

Coming from an ASL background, MG in ASL have a rate of fire and can continue to fire until the rate of fire number is missed. This means that an ASL MG can continue to fire on a unit for each movement point that unit uses within line of site of the squad.

No rate of fire number in ToI is fine as it would just unnecessarily complicate things and I see the RoF rule addresses the higher rate of fire of MG.

I can also see from the ToI rules and the level of abstraction used that allowing multiple shots vs a squad in ToI could potentially wipe the squad off the map as it advances or sprints to cover, etc. This situation is acceptible and handled in ASL through the morale and routing rules which, to me, is the Supressive Fire rules in ToI. Allowing one shot per MG per active squad seems a little more complicated and more bookeeping that the one shot per hex move scenario as used in ASL.

I'm curious how the Rapid Op Fire rule was developed and if the ASL method was tried, i.e. not rate of fire but one shot per hex moved.

Finally, let me just say that I can't wait to get this bad boy on the table and push some plastic. It's not often one can ask historical or development questions about the games we play and I appreciate the time all the developers/play testers use in answering goofy questions like this.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
I'm curious how the Rapid Op Fire rule was developed and if the ASL method was tried, i.e. not rate of fire but one shot per hex moved.

What do you mean by "the ASL method"? As you say, in ASL there is a rate-of-fire that limits the number of shots taken. In TOI, there is no rate-of-fire (for simplicity), and no breakdowns either, so you would have to let every MG fire at every moving unit in every hex it enters. But that would be awfully powerful.

In CC:E, every op fire unit can fire at every moving unit in every hex it enters. But the activation limits help keep this palatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My definition of the "ASL Method" as it relates to ToI would be:

A MG in Op Fire can fire upon an active, moving squad one time for every hex moved within line of site of the MG.

I would limit one fire-group per hex moved, i.e. I would not allow multiple MG squads to fire on an active unit unless they are in a fire group.

Does that clarify things?

Thanks,
Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that would make the MGs very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the amount of lead a squad can fire, a MG IS very powerful.

I agree with you that multiple shots from a single MG against an active squad during its movement is pretty potent but I'm curious to know how the Rapid Op Fire rule, which seems a little more complex than the rest of the rules, was developed.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Maus wrote:
but I'm curious to know how the Rapid Op Fire rule, which seems a little more complex than the rest of the rules, was developed.

Initial idea -> playtest -> refine -> repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls