Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you open bidding at 0 for a Condottiere in Mercury edition?
You can for an Event tile or Pope, can't for a City tile, but it does not say for Condottiere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally said yes to a bid of 0.

You cannot bid 0 for the Condotierre. This was done so that if no one bid on the Condotierre then the rule about the city being defended by a die roll modified by a +3 comes into play.

Sorry, I should not rely on my memory...it can get fuzzy sometimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules in the new German edition say you can make a starting bid of 0 for Condottiere. Your edited post now contradicts that....
Hmm...

Having now looked at the German version of the rules, I have to say that they are way, way better in clarity, and also look more attractive. I would say that is a bit of an own goal on the part of the English edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard - having thought about it I think your ruling at minimum bid of 1 is a good idea, and the minimum of 0 in the German rules not such a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Goslar
Germany
Kronberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.kronberger-spiele.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike and Richard,

the German rules state that you may pass or start with a bit of zero.

If I remember it right I got this from some faqs or discussion threads/emails from Martin Wallace.

So there is a small difference, but I don't think it breaks the game as the rule counts for all players.

And you can easily fix it in any way as a house rule if you like.

Roland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it a few more times I am sure that it is better to play that the minimum bid is 1 for Condottiere. Its such a crucial role that you should have to pay something even if the others are out of cash to bid themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.