Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the base game it is clearly stated that when a bishop moves to a card with another bishop of any color they are both eliminated, but this card starts off placing two bishops on the card. Wouldn't this mean they would immediately eliminate each other?

I'll admit, I find it odd that two bishops of the same religion would eliminate each other - but I guess that must be because they both start fighting for the position of bishop for the region and kill each other or something. There are some definitely odd sort of elements in the game where it seems sometimes theme takes the front seat to game play and other times theme takes a back seat to game play. However, I won't judge this game yet as I only played one two player game so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Place Bishop Agent. Place it directly on the Tableau card played. Alternately, you may place it on any Tableau card (even in an opponent’s tableau) that has the same printed Location as the Tableau card being played. If you place it on a card with a Token, apply the Diet of Worms Rule or the Pacification Rule

You can put the bishops elsewhere, which avoids doubling them up. It seems like they would eliminate each other if placed together though.

A related question - if you placed them both on one card already containing a bishop, are all 3 eliminated? Do the placements happen in sequence, so that new bishop #1 eliminates and is eliminated by the existing bishop and new bishop #2 remains on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a game mechanic that you can only have one bishop on a card. According to E2.2 "You may place all, some, or none of (the Agents)." In the case of Oratory of Divine Love (expansion), you can place none of them, one of them, or two of the bishops. They can be placed on any card in the Papal States. Naturally, if you place them both on the same card, this is the same as placing no agents at all. If you place one on a card that already has a bishop, they eliminate each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to follow up on that for timing: if one bishop were placed on a card where there already was one, would diet of worms eliminate the pair before the second bishop had to be placed, so that the second bishop could be placed on the now vacant card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek Long wrote:
Just to follow up on that for timing: if one bishop were placed on a card where there already was one, would diet of worms eliminate the pair before the second bishop had to be placed, so that the second bishop could be placed on the now vacant card?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verbosity wrote:

I'll admit, I find it odd that two bishops of the same religion would eliminate each other - but I guess that must be because they both start fighting for the position of bishop for the region and kill each other or something. There are some definitely odd sort of elements in the game where it seems sometimes theme takes the front seat to game play and other times theme takes a back seat to game play. However, I won't judge this game yet as I only played one two player game so far.

It's the Diet of Worms rule, so presumably they are not killing each other but rather being called away to attend an assembly of Bishops, to make Bishop decisions about Bishop-centric things. They are too busy with Church business for the moment to engage in Noble intrigues, so they are removed from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.