King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: When does the game really end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Rules say "the game ends at the end of a round when a monster reaches 20." so does everyone gets to do a turn so everyone had the same number of turns or it ends right when a monster reaches 20?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
If any monster with 20VP is alive at the end of any turn, the game ends and that monster wins. Also if there is only one monster alive, the game ends immediately.

I.e. the monster needs to survive his turn to win by VP. (Killing yourself by buying a VP card that gets you to 20VP does not give a victory.)

(Provided the rules have not changed dramatically from the first version.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said ^

It is the end of the current turn where a monster reached 20pts. You have to survive until the end of that turn, so if you were to get 20 points, but die in the process, then you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they've said that any instances of "round" are supposed to be "turn". This was due to translation issues from the original French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj B
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
grarrrg wrote:
I believe they've said that any instances of "round" are supposed to be "turn". This was due to translation issues from the original French.

And that's what confused me. The word "round". In most games that means all player get to finish a turn to complete an even number of turns for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
Exactly. blush
There's no real "rounds" in KoT, just player turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Also if there is only one monster alive, the game ends immediately.

The 2E rules stat that "You must survive your turn to win". So a monster could for example be poisoned, but not roll enough hearts (or be in Tokyo) to survive. In that case everyone loses.

However, the rules are not clear regarding this, so I could be wrong.

But this is anyway a very rare situation. It has never happened in any of the games that I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcello Pisanu
Germany
flag msg tools
the german rules (2nd Edition) also uses the word "Runde" = round. Thanks for clarification.

I have another question: The example power card in the rulebook says, i must enter Tokyo, if I'm not there. Would I get an extra point for entering Tokyo? Or only the 2 VP from the power card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.