Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gene
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played about 12 vanilla games with my wife before we started the legacy campaign. We were fairly confident because we had a good track record so far. Let me tell you, this one wasnt even close.

Even after the 2nd epidemic, we had already lost control and we knew it was a lost cause. 4th epidemic triggred the last outbreak and put us out of our misery.

It was so brutal, i'm not sure we even want to play again. Zero fun was had and the board is a mess. I already have 6 cities panicking, one of them is a level three and two other at level 2.

Deeply Disappointed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camilo North
msg tools
Don't give up! My group lost our first game from outbreaks as well, and got two scars on the Researcher to boot. We managed to win most of out games anyway. Extra funding and (especially) permanent upgrades will help counteract the board state.

Remember also that you should stop increasing panic levels immediately after the one you got for your final outbreak. If you only played one game, it sounds like you have more than you should under that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenest wrote:
I played about 12 vanilla games with my wife before we started the legacy campaign. We were fairly confident because we had a good track record so far. Let me tell you, this one wasnt even close.

Even after the 2nd epidemic, we had already lost control and we knew it was a lost cause. 4th epidemic triggred the last outbreak and put us out of our misery.

It was so brutal, i'm not sure we even want to play again. Zero fun was had and the board is a mess. I already have 6 cities panicking, one of them is a level three and two other at level 2.

Deeply Disappointed

I think you may have a rule wrong, what you describe requires 10 outbreaks. You lose when you hit 8. You stop adding stickers when you've lost, even if there are more outbreaks that should happen.

Also, I agree with lucioperca. Don't give up! The game will get better. And if one game is too hard, the game adjusts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gene
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are right, i just checked my board again. It's not as bad as i said. We did stop at 8 outbreaks. Forgive me, i was in shock.

I will give it another shot !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, part of the game is that bad luck can wipe you out at almost any point. If you've consistently been winning vanilla, then you should win most January games too - and losing a game means you get 2 more funded events, and 2 more end-game upgrades for the rest of the campaign (okay, for funded events, you're only ahead until you win enough games more than you lose to run out of funding).

Also, in game 2, the odds favour (January spoiler)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
C0dA being less numerous than it was in game 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gene
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the encouragments.
Just double checked my board :

3 Panic - Essen
2 Panic - Milan
1 Panic - Paris
1 Panic - Santiago
1 Panic - Sydney

Resilient Population protected Tokyo from falling into panic. From that you can tell that we basically had to cover the four corners of the board. We focused on the middle east which started in very rough shape and had to ignore Europe. We didnt stand a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
United States
flag msg tools
My group lost our January 1 game before we even hit out second epidemic card. It will get better but rough starts happen with this game. Your end of game upgrades should help.
We currently have to play our second game in May but across all our games (7 so far) two have been lost due to running out of cubes and 1 due to outbreaks. We have also won two games with 0 outbreaks occurring, so yes it will get better and there will be both bad and good games. Someone on this forum talked about a game where in January 1 they lost with at least a few characters having major scars due to Atlanta outbreaking due to it being the first escalation and then drawn immediately after during the infection step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
There's a strong argument that if Atlanta is in danger, the first player's priority should be doing something about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
There's a strong argument that if Atlanta is in danger, the first player's priority should be doing something about that!

Without {SPOILER} there's nothing you can do about Atlanta being on the bottom of the Infection Deck then being shuffled to the top, even if you somehow guess it's coming, unless you happen to have one of a few Event cards in hand...

And even once {SPOILER} is available, I wouldn't blame players for focusing on the known threats rather than guarding against the just over 0.1% chance of a turn 1 Outbreak in Atlanta (1/5 chance of a turn 1 Epidemic, 1/38 chance of Atlanta (or any other unseen city) being drawn, 1/5 chance of Atlanta ending up in the top 2 cards giving 1/950 or 0.105%)

Obviously, if Atlanta starts with 3 cubes, then the roughly 4% chance (1/5 of an Epidemic; 1/5 of Atlanta ending up in the top 2 cards, but also a non-zero chance of a neighbouring city being drawn and having an outbreak - call it 4.3%) of a turn 1 Outbreak is worth addressing, if only because the chance of an Outbreak there in the first 3 turns is rather higher, but that doesn't appear to be the situation being described this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Buth
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I got spanked last night in my very first January game as well. I was completely shocked. I have been playing regular pandemic for years, and am very good at it. I could not believe how I was brought to my knees. I came to bgg this morning looking to see if I was alone and am very glad I am not the only one that gets beat on game one.

Good luck. we are trying again tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gene
Canada
Quebec City
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kainsteele wrote:
I got spanked last night in my very first January game as well. I was completely shocked. I have been playing regular pandemic for years, and am very good at it. I could not believe how I was brought to my knees. I came to bgg this morning looking to see if I was alone and am very glad I am not the only one that gets beat on game one.

Good luck. we are trying again tonight

We need a support group ! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Sounds about like how our first session went.

Half of Asia was rioting when we were done.

Then we won the second January game.

And lost both February ones.

Which in turn made March a walk in the park due to the massive number of funded events and some other helpful changes.

The game is just brilliant in keeping you in a constant state of anxiety/excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
lightnng wrote:

That shouldn't be possible.

Half of Asia (13 cities) is 7 cities; rioting is 2 outbreaks. So that would need 14 outbreaks and you can't have more than 8 in one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
clivej wrote:
lightnng wrote:

That shouldn't be possible.

Half of Asia (13 cities) is 7 cities; rioting is 2 outbreaks. So that would need 14 outbreaks and you can't have more than 8 in one game.

Well, it sure FELT that way... maybe some of those were only at level 1, but they all became level 2 quickly thereafter. What's your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
lightnng wrote:
What's your point?

Mainly, wanting to check you'd got the rules right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
clivej wrote:
lightnng wrote:
What's your point?

Mainly, wanting to check you'd got the rules right.

Ah thank you then. I think we did - although there are a lot of things to get wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.