Mega Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Realistic 5 player duration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Ludoquist
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm contemplating offering up mega Civ to my game meetup tomorrow. Any guess what a realistic time for 5 players, not app prone, might be? None have played before, other than me doing advanced 30 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLudoquist wrote:
I'm contemplating offering up mega Civ to my game meetup tomorrow. Any guess what a realistic time for 5 players, not app prone, might be? None have played before, other than me doing advanced 30 years ago.

Six hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a 5 player game recently with new and experienced players. I think we went 7 to 8 hours from memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 hours should be very possible on the Basic AST. Remember to take the extra credits mentioned in the 5-player setup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are in for eight to ten hours depending on how well the experienced players know the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raffaele Porrini
Italy
Rome
Latium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a 5 people game (western map) and did it in ten hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our 5-6 player games usually run 6'ish hours if the players know the game beforehand. Add no0bs and you increase the time. A couple of days ago we played a 7p game with a couple of no0bs, it took us 11h with 1 food break and 1 snack run included. This time however I won't blame the no0bs for the longer game time, people were just a little slower than usual and people were often reluctant to do simultaneous moves. When people feel it important to react to others it will always add a big chunk of time...
And to some extent I was to blame since I kind of stirred the hornets nest.
9p games almost always take us 12h.
So, what's the moral of the story?
Play style and individuals will be a big piece of the puzzle. No0bs will invariably add play time. With experienced players you can play fast and smooth but it'll take you a few games to reach enough familiarity for the game to truly pick up speed.
By now the OP has already had his game. I'm guessing 8-9h since they were all no0bs except him having some past experience with adv civ.

P.S We always play expert games, never basic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jennings
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Fastest 5 player game I've done is 5 and a half hours. Often finished in the 6 hour range though--and maybe one went longer. The faster one was on an east map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that nobody knows the game, I'd plan for 7-8 hours. It may go less than that, but you'll probably have lots of rules lookups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.