Subject: Differences Between Vanilla and Legacy Maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Cox
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, everyone:

I recently ordered Pandemic Legacy, and I'm looking forward to playing it. As a little background for this post, I've never played the original version of the Pandemic board game, although I have played a great deal on the iPad app. I did a little research before deciding between regular Pandemic and the legacy version, but what tipped the decision in favor of Legacy were posts I read here explaining that Legacy can still be played as "regular" Pandemic, provided that you don't permanently alter any of the components (most people recommend not tearing up components when instructed to but rather putting them aside, removing stickers, etc.). That seemed great to me: have the experience of Legacy, but still have a regular version to play afterwards. Here is my concern:

1) After examining the maps for both versions, it seems that there are three differences: in Legacy, Santiago is connected to Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires is connected to Johannesburg, and Baghdad is no longer connected to Karachi. For people who are familiar with both versions: how much does this alter gameplay? My limited experience leads me to think that it is negligible, but I would appreciate other insights.

2) The rules manual states that people should play a few games of Pandemic without using the legacy rules, and then start the Pandemic campaign. Again, this leads me to believe that, as long as you don't destroy components, you can go back to playing this way after the Legacy campaign is completed. For those who have done this: how different is the "vanilla" version of Legacy from regular Pandemic? After looking at the rules for both versions, they seem similar, but again, my lack of experience may be causing me to overlook something important. I would like to know what others think.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Random
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I am currently only 6 months (out of 12) into the Legacy game, so I can't speak EXACTLY about playing regular pandemic afterward. I have a good feeling you can play with the entire legacy experience and still play regular Pandemic afterward.

That being said... I have played Seafall to completion and getting through this game I would highly suggest listening to the game as far as sticker placement, destruction etc. It really makes the game MUCH better doing the full legacy experience. By trying to keep it with no stickers you will end up really inconveniencing everyone and break immersion and have a lot more annoyance to deal with.

Legacy games are a real cinematic experience that is mostly more about the new exciting things and dealing with tearing post it notes and clear stickers or whatever will just ruin it IMO.

Worst case, regular pandemic is only $25, get everyone else to chip in if the legacy game doesn't give you your fill and you don't want to deal with the board with stickers that don't mean anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you misunderstood me: I fully intend to play the game as indicated, with the exception of physically destroying the components (putting a component aside so it can no longer be used has the same effect, and many people who have played the game agree with me). The consensus seems to be that if desired, stickers and such can be removed, leaving the game in its original state. Regardless, my question wasn't about how you think I should play the game: it was about the differences between the base versions of the game. I don't mean to be rude, but I would appreciate it if you could answer the question I actually asked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, absolutely. If you can remove the stickers from PL with no problem (and there shouldn't be problems) and you keep the cards intact, you should have a pretty much identical game of vanilla pandemic. The board is of course bigger and it has the objective spaces, but easily ignored.

I think the different city connections in Pandemic Legacy make the game a wee bit harder, but it's negligible.

For example, in vanilla pandemic if Santiago has three cubes it's a big *shrug*. We usually don't even bother to try and treat Santiago in vanilla Pandemic because it only spreads to one city - Lima.

But in Legacy Pandemic it's not as smart to ignore it - so we have to consider whether it's worth treating. But at the same time it's easier to get to, so its a wash imo.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only real thing you are missing out on from the base game is the option to add a 6th epidemic card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
I think the only real thing you are missing out on from the base game is the option to add a 6th epidemic card.

And some of the characters. Vanilla Legacy starts out with only 4 of the 7 base game characters (and 1 expansion character).

There are also some changes in the setup rules - in vanilla Pandemic, you assign characters randomly; in Legacy, you get to pick after seeing initial infection and starting hands - but those house-rule easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Susan:

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks so much for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Cox
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Robert:

Thank you, that's extremely helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Claessens

Mercer Island
Washington
msg tools
I am even later than you and just opened the Legacy box yesterday. Having never played Pandemic before, I was very disappointed that the box was not offering a double-sided board with the regular map on the other side, as well as the few missing cards and components to make this game reusable...

Here is what I found on reddit:

"Contrary to what people are telling you, you cannot play vanilla Pandemic using Pandemic Legacy right out of the box. Here is what you need to do to make Pandemic Legacy into pure 2e Pandemic base game:
Find images of the two role cards they added between base game 1e and 2e and make proxies for them. Pandemic Legacy has the same roles as Pandemic 1e, so you are missing a couple of roles.
Make a 6th epidemic card. Pandemic has 3 difficult levels of play (easy with 4 cards, normal with 5 cards, hard with 6 cards) but Legacy is fixed to normal epidemic difficulty - so if you want to play hard mode, you will need to make a 6th epidemic card.
The base game has 5 events (Airlift, Resilient Population, One Quiet Night, Government Grant, and Forecast) that are always used, non-legacy plays of Pandemic legacy say choose 4 of the 7 funded event cards to include. Fortunately of the 7 funded event cards, the 5 events of Pandemic are there. (When you get your first expansion for Pandemic it becomes 2 events per player randomly determined with the remaining cards staying secret.)
Find Pandemic's map online and note what connections on the legacy map are not valid. Legacy has many more connection (examples include a connection from Los Angeles to Lima and Santiago to Buenos Aires) which greatly increase board mobility and change the flavor of play.
Go online and download the base game rules. Pandemic base game has a very different setup order than Pandemic Legacy. Perhaps the most key difference (and the one I see messed up a lot on YouTube) is that you set up the cubes on the Legacy board and deal your hand of cards before you select a role to play - while base game Pandemic is deal a random role to play, deal player cards, and then set up infection cubes on the board.
So can you play Pandemic with just Pandemic Legacy? Not right out of the box, but with a small effort you can replicate the game."

It would have been really simple and easy for the publisher to make this game usable after the legacy campaign... but they chose not to.

Yes, you can use Legacy to learn how to play a proxy of Pandemic so that you are able to start the Legacy campaign but no, you will not learn how to play the other base game and no, you will not own a version of Pandemic 2nd edition that is playable right out of the box... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike2012Fun wrote:
Yes, you can use Legacy to learn how to play a proxy of Pandemic so that you are able to start the Legacy campaign but no, you will not learn how to play the other base game and no, you will not own a version of Pandemic 2nd edition that is playable right out of the box... shake

Yeah, basic Pandemic Legacy isn't exactly the same as Pandemic 2e - though if you're having to specify which edition you're comparing with to make your points, it undermines any argument that it's more different than the various editions are from each other.

What you can do with Pandemic Legacy is play a game which is easily mistaken for Pandemic if you're not an experienced Pandemic player. Whether you call that game "vanilla Pandemic" or not is up to you.

Also, that reddit article, while it gets the big picture generally right, is fairly riddled with inaccuracies when you get into the details - for example, you'd need to proxy three roles and discard one to get the same character mix as Pandemic 2e. There's also an officially sanctioned way to play a 6-epidemic game with only 5 epidemic cards. Legacy comes with 8 event cards, not just 7. And the boards are a lot more similar than "Legacy has many more connections" suggests...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Claessens

Mercer Island
Washington
msg tools
Thank you for the additional information

I guess, what frustrated me the most is that the rulebook of Legacy was quite cryptic if you were trying to just learn the base Pandemic. Then I watched videos but the components and characters were not matching what I had...

Also, as a general opinion on legacy games, it annoys my OCD to have to alter them definitively and then sort of throw them away once done

I actually owned the regular Pandemic and sold it, thinking, like many seemed to say, that I would have both in the same box with the Legacy one. But, I was wrong...

Anyway, thanks a lot again for your clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.