Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: War Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Jhonson
msg tools
I have some ideas for a cooperative war game that might be interesting (nothing solid yet), but I was wondering if there was any interest out there in war games at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BGGBobman64 wrote:
I have some ideas for a cooperative war game that might be interesting (nothing solid yet), but I was wondering if there was any interest out there in war games at all?

Hello. You're talking to a wargamer. What is it you're looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jhonson
msg tools
I was just wondering if war games have a big market, because I once read somewhere to "never design a wargame, because everybody hates them" or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
They spoke the truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jhonson
msg tools
BeatPosse wrote:
They spoke the truth.

What would a good theme be then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being lazy, I just design scenarios for Advanced Squad Leader. That way I don't really have to think....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan The Dwarf
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, do you want to design an awesome, groundbreaking new game or a game that sells the most copies? I say that if you have an idea for a new game, then you should develop it and see what you can make. If it's a good game, even if it's a wargame, people will buy it and enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BGGBobman64 wrote:
I was just wondering if war games have a big market, because I once read somewhere to "never design a wargame, because everybody hates them" or something like that.

Some years ago there was a statistic (|I don't know where it came from) that there were 30,000 hard core wargamers, I think in the World, but might have been North America alone. I don't know if the number has increased or shrunk. I do know that I'm in the 30,000 somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Axis & Allies family of games sell pretty well so I would say yes there is a market for war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
There is certainly a market for wargames, but it is a difficult one to break into. Making a game is a tiring but rewarding process - as long as you are doing it because you enjoy making games, don't worry about marketability, just make the game you want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Make a war game set in the feudal Japan, that could be interesting.

Legend of 5 rings is coming soon so that theme will be pretty popular next year. Or, go for my soft spot - Cthulhu in feudal Japan, Samurai against the Old one. Katana is a good weapon against tentacles you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BGGBobman64 wrote:
I was wondering if there was any interest out there in war games at all?

You do realize that there's an entire sub-domain here on BGG for wargames, and a separate website (Consimworld) which is devoted to wargaming, and several game companies that almost exclusively publish wargames, right? There's plenty of interest in wargames, you just need to know where to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGGBobman64 wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:
They spoke the truth.

There are many good themes, but you've provided too little information about your idea from which to make a practical suggestion.

Some questions to consider . . .

1) Are you going to develop a design, then adapt a theme to it? The depth of the theme's "feel" will determine with whether it appeals to wargamers or non-wargamers.

2) Are you looking for a historical theme for the game, or are you considering others (i.e., sci-fi, fantasy, alternative, abstract)? These genres have different markets within the hobby.

3) Will the scale be tactical, operational, or strategic?

4) Is your idea for the design similar to that of an existing game or games, and if so, how successful was that game(s)?

Suggestion: If you are going to concentrate on the design but are uncomfortable with finding a theme, partner with someone who has experience with wargame play and/or subject matter expertise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✅✅✅✅ ✅❌✅✅❌✅ ✅❌✅❌✅✅ ➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGGBobman64 wrote:
A couple of thoughts:

1) I suspect that what you have in mind is "a competitive game with a war theme", and that asking about wargames specifically may not be productive. BGG does not treat "game with a war theme" and "wargame" as being the same thing. I base this on my unawareness of something that would be described as "cooperative" within the wargame genre and on your apparent lack of commitment to a particular "war" (using that term loosely). Is your game closer to Defenders of the Realm (a cooperative game with a war theme), Fortress America (a light wargame with cooperative elements), The Republic of Rome (a heavy game with cooperative elements that comes out of the wargame tradition), or is it something like a genuinely cooperative scenario in Space Empires: 4X (wargame, not inherently cooperative, but could run that way in scenarios)? Figuring that out may help direct your search for a market.

2) "A good theme" is the wrong question to try to answer at this point. Generally speaking, a good theme will not sell a bad game (see: any number of futile Kickstarters with nominally interesting themes), but a good game will sell even with an unpresuming theme (see: Agricola [medieval subsistence farming] or Churchill [the best parts of WW2: summit meetings]).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.